Why, despite our differences, do we reduce our (partisan, political) opinions to the same, exact stupid cliches?
Posted: 18 February 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-02-16

9uc0u1.jpg

[ Edited: 18 February 2012 04:46 PM by The WhY? Movement ]
 Signature 

The WhY? Movement is a Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to empowering and encouraging people to ask “why?”, and thus inquire critically.

We believe thoroughly in what we refer to as the right of critical inquiry: that all people deserve the right, the power, the opportunity, and the encouragement to ask “why?”.

To learn more about us, please check out our website at http://www.thewhymovement.org

Posted: 18 February 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5165
Joined  2010-06-16

Jim, while your goals and ideas seem consonant with those of the members of this forum, we are just that:  a forum.  We aren’t an advertising board.  So, rather than continuing posting your ads, if you want to participate in the discussions here, we’d love to have you.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 February 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-02-16
Occam. - 18 February 2012 03:58 PM

Jim, while your goals and ideas seem consonant with those of the members of this forum, we are just that:  a forum.  We aren’t an advertising board.  So, rather than continuing posting your ads, if you want to participate in the discussions here, we’d love to have you.

Occam

Hi Occam,

Sorry about that, and I genuinely didn’t mean for these to be “advertisements”. When I’ve run this organization through facebook, I’ve found that it’s often easier to convey a point if it’s illustrated. If I post pictures without having a mention of our website or facebook page, is that ok?

Likewise, do you need me to not post with a link to The WhY? Movement’s page in my signature?

Signature 

The WhY? Movement is a Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to empowering and encouraging people to ask “why?”, and thus inquire critically.

We believe thoroughly in what we refer to as the right of critical inquiry: that all people deserve the right, the power, the opportunity, and the encouragement to ask “why?”.

To learn more about us, please check out our website at http://www.thewhymovement.org

Posted: 18 February 2012 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Thanks, Jim.  No, your sig is fine, and your participation today is great.  Thanks again.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Why, despite our differences do we reduce our opinions to the exact same stupid cliches?

I suspect the reason for that is because it plays well to the base.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 19 February 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Or else because it’s easier for people to think in cliches than it is to examine complex ideas.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3789
Joined  2010-08-15
Occam. - 19 February 2012 02:33 PM

Or else because it’s easier for people to think in cliches than it is to examine complex ideas.

Occam

I finished spending five weeks in a big city setting and it is truly frightening how many disconnected folks I had to deal with.  I mean oblivious of what’s going on around them, disinterested in their jobs, oh gosh this could turn into a worthless rant…

OK I need to wonder what happened to joy in living and learning, pride in doing one’s job well, curiosity in what’s happening around one, etc. etc.

If most folks don’t actually care that much… what else is there but emotional cliches to feed them?

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 21 February 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4615
Joined  2007-10-05

I don’t think this is anything new, CC. People have been complaining of the same things since at least Ancient Greek times. I have encountered the same laziness and apathy my entire life, from youths to old people. I have also encountered people who know how to enjoy life, are intellectually curious, and take pride in what they do. I try to retain these people as friends.

An quick anecdote: In my Environment and People class our professor assigned a round table on world population growth discussion last week. We were to sign up to represent various groups or people. I signed up to represent the CATO Institute, just to enliven the discussion a bit. Five of 17 students in the class did not sign up or even show up for the discussion yesterday. Some of the other students were shocked that their fellow classmates would not bother do do this. I guess apathy and laziness hits even college students.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 21 February 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2579
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 21 February 2012 09:24 AM

I don’t think this is anything new, CC. People have been complaining of the same things since at least Ancient Greek times. I have encountered the same laziness and apathy my entire life, from youths to old people. I have also encountered people who know how to enjoy life, are intellectually curious, and take pride in what they do. I try to retain these people as friends.

An quick anecdote: In my Environment and People class our professor assigned a round table on world population growth discussion last week. We were to sign up to represent various groups or people. I signed up to represent the CATO Institute, just to enliven the discussion a bit. Five of 17 students in the class did not sign up or even show up for the discussion yesterday. Some of the other students were shocked that their fellow classmates would not bother do do this. I guess apathy and laziness hits even college students.

Apathy and laziness are the prime characteristics of many college students.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 February 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 21 February 2012 09:43 AM

Apathy and laziness are the prime characteristics of many college students.

I’d ask for a citation, but I don’t really care.  LOL

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 24 February 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

There may be that, although I’d be reluctant to call toeing the line “Thinking.”

One conversation I had with somebody today was surrounding his assertion that Barak Obama was a Muslim, and aside from the fact this just wasn’t true, he really couldn’t come up with anything better then that. His belief that the man is a Muslim is enough in his worldview.

I tried to point out that while I didn’t agree with the guy on everything in sight, if I was going to criticsize him, I would do so for what he really is and what he really believes rather then criticsize him for what he isn’t and what he doesn’t believe. (But then I have this funny habit of trying to focus on the real issues instead of the phony ones.)

Not surprisingly, he didn’t get it.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 February 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

I could say so much for the myth of the “rational human.”  snake

In reality however I think this is a reflection of the use of the human tool of symbol making.  The people who made these illustrations are using the same cliches to represent differing views.  Think of it as kind of a shorthand.  Just think if you were entering an area where two meetings were going on, the use of these posters would quickly let you know which you want to support.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.