1 of 2
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Posted: 19 February 2012 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2011-10-01

For those of you don’t know, Tusk was Fleetwood Mac’s double-album flop follow-up to Rumours. It has been described as pompous, over-ambitious and self-indulgent, but it’s one of my favourite albums of all time. 

After making so much money with Rumours, Lindsey Buckingham could finally let it all hang out on this album with all sorts of experimentation in the studio. On top of that you get the absolutely gorgeous Sara and Beautiful Child from Stevie Nicks, and even some really good tracks from Christine McVie like Brown Eyes.

I like to think of this album as their Pet Sounds, and I’m sure Lindsey would be delighted to hear that, given how much he loves Brian Wilson. See if you can find the vinyl version, though, since only this one has the full version of Sara. On the cd version Sara is edited (butchered).

Signature 

“Life is shit, but the graphics is good”

Posted: 19 February 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

I’ve heard the song “Tusk”, but I’m not a Fleetwood Mac fan.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 February 2012 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I loved Fleetwood Mac back in the day. Had an insane crush on Stevie! I agree that Tusk was better than it got credit for. But IMHO, Rumors will always be their magnum opus. It just never gets old.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
FreeInKy - 21 February 2012 07:56 AM

Had an insane crush on Stevie!

And what straight guy didn’t?

But IMHO, Rumors will always be their magnum opus. It just never gets old.

Have to agree with that.

P.S. I miss Stevie Ray Vaughn downer

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-10-01

Yeah, there’s no doubt that Rumours will go down as their best album, but personally I much prefer the weirdness of Tusk. Perhaps it would be better to say that Tusk is their White Album, as it often seems that each member is just doing their own thing, and at the end they just cobbled it all together as a double album. And the thing is, as with the white album, all of them were at the peak of their powers at that time.

Regarding Stevie, I’m too young to have had a crush on her, but I certainly love the whole mysterious pagan witchy thing she had going on. For me, her songs with Lindsey’s production was an awesome combination, and the long version of Sara on Tusk is the best example of this. It is mind-blowing.

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

My parents are big fans of Fleetwood Mac; I’ve heard “Rumors” many times growing up, but I wasn’t aware that the band formed back in the mid sixties, and had a much different sound and image before Nicks and Buckingham joined.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 February 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

Then Play On is one of the best Blues Rock albums of all time. Bare Trees and Kiln House are excellent Roots Rock albums. Fleetwood Mac morphed into a Pop band when Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie joined the group. sick0005.gif

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 21 February 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-10-01

Yes, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac were also very good, but that was a completely different band. 

By the way, are any of you familiar with any of Lindsey Buckingham’s solo albums?

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2012 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

No, I didn’t pay much attention to Lindsay Buckingham. I’m not a fan of pop music, and was not impressed with Buckingham Nicks. I am also not a fan of the work they did with Fleetwood Mac, Yes, I know it was wildly popular, but we all know about the appeal to popularity fallacy.  cheese

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 22 February 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 22 February 2012 04:00 AM

No, I didn’t pay much attention to Lindsay Buckingham. I’m not a fan of pop music, and was not impressed with Buckingham Nicks. I am also not a fan of the work they did with Fleetwood Mac, Yes, I know it was wildly popular, but we all know about the appeal to popularity fallacy.  cheese

Hmmm, as I recall it was more of appeal to popular phallicy.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
traveler - 22 February 2012 07:34 AM
DarronS - 22 February 2012 04:00 AM

Hmmm, as I recall it was more of appeal to popular phallicy.  LOL

I guess there’s one in every crowd.  rolleyes  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 22 February 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Dom1978 - 21 February 2012 05:30 PM

Regarding Stevie, ... I certainly love the whole mysterious pagan witchy thing she had going on. For me, her songs with Lindsey’s production was an awesome combination, and the long version of Sara on Tusk is the best example of this. It is mind-blowing.

Absolutely, that was a big part of her appeal. That and she was smokin’ hot. (Probably still is, to this 50 year old, but I have not seen a recent pic of her.)

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 24 February 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-10-01

By the way, I found out recently that Peter Green plays on the Tusk track ‘Brown Eyes’!

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2012 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

Tusk is a percussionists theme song. It even has a marching quality about it. And if I remember, didn’t the USC band play their own version on stage once during one of their comeback concerts? Also, Stevie Nicks was and is still hot, but she slurred her words so much you couldn’t make out what the hell she was singing!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 February 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Yep. I always just assumed it was because she was stoned.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 24 February 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
FreeInKy - 24 February 2012 12:18 PM

Yep. I always just assumed it was because she was stoned.

Thit! I uthed to get thtoned all the time and I never thlurred my wordth.

Signature 

1 of 2