2 of 4
The Beatles
Posted: 21 February 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24
inthegobi - 21 February 2012 02:54 PM
George - 21 February 2012 10:56 AM

I think I can almost agree with you here, Chris. Although I like The Beatles I despise the amplifier and even the electric guitar.

Well, I’m not dissing rock music or electric instruments; and if I go to The Clash (for example) and *don’t* have a ringing in my ears, it’s cause for complaint, oi? wink And to another poster, the comment about amplifiers was a joke of course.

My questions stand: what is it about the commonness of *overly* loud music, music that’s loud when it’s better to be softer, music amp’d for large halls but played in small venues, and so on? What’s it for? What’s it *do* for the people who like it? Is it just that most of us are too ‘nice’ to complain? Or, does the typical ‘youngun’ feel he’s being deliciously transgressive (I never wanted to feel that way) by listening to any kind of live music, even intimate songs, at top volume? Or, does the culture have a theory of ‘good’ music that the volume is what ‘grabs you by the ears’ as Plato says somewhere about music?

Now get the hell off my lawn. And pull up your pants, too.
To
inthegobi

For teens, blasting loud music is an attempt at dominance, and communication of course. Being a badass is more important than good hearing - at that time of life.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

The higher frequencies are more likely to damage one’s hearing. Today’s subwoofers that boom down the street annoy everyone, but it is not as likely to damage the ears.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 21 February 2012 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMmpJSJfeT8  This is a kick ass song, I forgot to mention it!! IMO, it really shows their personalities, and it goes with any mood.

Signature 

Posted: 21 February 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
Thevillageatheist - 21 February 2012 10:09 AM

Mike!!! It’s the Beatles man! Our generation grew up to the sound. These guys were genius writers in their 20’s and experimented with all forms of music and a few drugs as well.  Norwegian Wood was always my favorite. The Beatles and jimi Hendricks created a whole new sound and forced America out of the Hit Parade style of tunes. They took Rockabilly into the 60’s and then came Heavy Metal. Yuuuch.

Cap’t Jack

The Beatles recorded the best Heavy Metal song of all time. When I was younger my favorite Beatles song was Hello Goodbye. As I approach old fart age my favorite Beatles song has changed to In My Life, especially this Johnny Cash version.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 21 February 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2011-10-01

It always makes me laugh when I hear Americans (they usually are Americans) say that they love Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who, and so on, but that the Beatles are overrated! Have these people actually listened to the White Album or Revolver? Or John Lennon’s solo albums like Plastic Ono Band? Personally I prefer other bands to the Beatles, but they definitely were great.

Signature 

“Life is shit, but the graphics is good”

Posted: 22 February 2012 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

You’re right Dom, the Beatles changed everything. I remember reading an interview with Keith Richards where he said he and Mick hadn’t thought of writing their own songs until John and Paul started writing. You cannot overrate a band that produced as much great music as the Beatles and changed the musical landscape as profoundly.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 22 February 2012 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2010-12-03

I used to be a huge Beatles fan, but the moment I heard Captain Beefheart’s Trout Mask Replica, my perception on rock music changed.  Now I find the vast majority of their stuff boring and not worth my time, with the exception of tracks like “Tomorrow Never Knows” or “I am the Walrus”.

Posted: 22 February 2012 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Dom1978 - 21 February 2012 10:00 PM

It always makes me laugh when I hear Americans (they usually are Americans) say that they love Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who, and so on, but that the Beatles are overrated! Have these people actually listened to the White Album or Revolver? Or John Lennon’s solo albums like Plastic Ono Band? Personally I prefer other bands to the Beatles, but they definitely were great.

Dom, don’t overgeneralize. The Beatles are a staple of many American iPods. There will always be people who like to push buttons and pretend that they are the ultimate critic. They are to be ignored. Yes, the Beatles were great.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 22 February 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Well, as Traveler pointed out that is a bit of an over generalization. But I do think there is a grain of truth to it. My college roommate was a real audiophile. This was in the late 70s / early 80s. He actually listened to music on reel-to-reel tapes. He was a huge fan of Pink Floyd, bordering on worship. But he hated the Beatles. I really think it was the snob effect. If the Beatles were so wildly popular among teenagers, how could any self-respecting audiophile be a fan? (So the thinking goes).

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 22 February 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Mingy Jongo - 22 February 2012 07:27 AM

I used to be a huge Beatles fan, but the moment I heard Captain Beefheart’s Trout Mask Replica, my perception on rock music changed.  Now I find the vast majority of their stuff boring and not worth my time, with the exception of tracks like “Tomorrow Never Knows” or “I am the Walrus”.

I can definitely see where you are coming from here.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 22 February 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Pink Floyd went out and took Atom Heart Mother or Dark Side or The Wall on the road.  Exhaustively touring those shows world wide.
The Stones did massive World Tours.  The Who played Tommy and Quadrophenia from start to finish live show after show.  And these performances were all and all faithful reproductions of their LP performances.
The Beatles sat in the studio and let George Martin bounce ideas off their heads.

Edit:
deleted “Yes and…”
Looked like I was implying the Rock Group Yes was involved with that subject matter.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 22 February 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
VYAZMA - 22 February 2012 10:47 AM

Yes and Pink Floyd went out and took Atom Heart Mother or Dark Side or The Wall on the road.  Exhaustively touring those shows world wide.
The Stones did massive World Tours.  The Who played Tommy and Quadrophenia from start to finish live show after show.  And these performances were all and all faithful reproductions of their LP performances.
The Beatles sat in the studio and let George Martin bounce ideas off their heads.

Vyazma, I couldn’t agree more. For many groups, it’s a matter of tour or kill each other. In the Beatles case, I’ve read that Paul and Ringo wanted to continue playing live, but the other two said no.

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
DarronS - 21 February 2012 07:48 PM
Thevillageatheist - 21 February 2012 10:09 AM

Mike!!! It’s the Beatles man! Our generation grew up to the sound. These guys were genius writers in their 20’s and experimented with all forms of music and a few drugs as well.  Norwegian Wood was always my favorite. The Beatles and jimi Hendricks created a whole new sound and forced America out of the Hit Parade style of tunes. They took Rockabilly into the 60’s and then came Heavy Metal. Yuuuch.

Cap’t Jack

The Beatles recorded the best Heavy Metal song of all time. When I was younger my favorite Beatles song was Hello Goodbye. As I approach old fart age my favorite Beatles song has changed to In My Life, especially this Johnny Cash version.

Helter Skelter is an cool song, but it ain’t metal.

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  3163
Joined  2011-08-15

Ah, Mike, helter shelter, the theme song of the Manson family! Could that seriously be considered heavy metal? Btw the Beatles quit touring because they were locked into playing the same songs repetitively and wanted to branch out into concentrated song writing, which is hard to do on the road. Besides, they we’re tired of the circuit. Liked Pink Floyd, the Stones, et al but IMO none of them hold a candle to the writing skills of John and Paul. Even ringo wrote a few (octopuse’s garden). The White Album is still my favorite, every song on it even #9. We used to smoke some serious herb while listening to it. That and Iron Butterfly. Innagoddadivita baby! Ah, the college days, now that was fun! Every song invokes a memory. cool grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 February 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2011-10-01
VYAZMA - 22 February 2012 10:47 AM

Yes and Pink Floyd went out and took Atom Heart Mother or Dark Side or The Wall on the road.  Exhaustively touring those shows world wide.

Yeah, so this gets to the heart of the matter. There does seem to be an anti-studio feeling behind some of this. And that’s why these people also tend not to be very impressed by Phil Spector’s music or Good Vibrations and Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys or even Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On. The idea is that real men should get out there with their real instruments and play their own songs, and forget about all that studio trickery. In my experience these people also have a bit of a problem with drum machines and synthesizers.

Signature 

“Life is shit, but the graphics is good”

2 of 4

‹‹ Fleetwood Mac - Tusk      Today’s Dilbert ››