2 of 3
The UN has raised the estimated death toll in Syria up to 5,400….
Posted: 23 February 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Supposedly, when we are in good mood we are more likely to think irrationally than when we are in bad mood.  cheese I read about it in Daniel Kahneman’s “Thinking, Fast and Slow.” But I (or rather Kahneman) can help you with that: hold a pencil between your teeth (so that the eraser points to one side and the point to the other) and try to rewrite your sentence on the U.S. being the most morally respected state on the planet. The pencil will make you frown and hopefully help you to think a little more rationally.  grin

Posted: 23 February 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Nope, not gonna work George.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 23 February 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2680
Joined  2011-04-24
Cloak - 22 February 2012 01:51 AM
Write4U - 22 February 2012 12:06 AM

I feel exactly the same watching these horrors and believe that something should be done about that. But war..? The problem with war is that always more innocents die than the dictators from which we seek to liberate them. 
This is why I favor the method Obama seems to be employing, with aid of our current technology. I believe in small surgical strike aimed at specific individuals rather than employing a blanket destruction of an entire country is far more effective. I believe more civilians were killed during our war with Iraq than Saddam Hussein killed during his brutal reign.
Emotional reactions to crimes against humanity are natural. But the solution cannot be worse than the crimes. The best way IMO, is to take time for planning and when an opportunity presents, take out the criminals. This will minimize costs in both lives on both sides and treasure invested. This may take a year or so, but eventually an opportunity will present itself. We need to learn patience and cold calculation, not rush off unprepared into a completely uncertain situation.

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said, but….a year? Really? How many more lives are we supposed to let get extinguished before we “figure out a plan?” What about the shelling? At least deploy the airforce over there and destroy their artillery so they can’t keep bombing innocent neighborhoods!

What about deploying our special forces over there to train the locals and ex-military that want to fight? What about helping them build walls and trenches. Evacing out the women and children? Something? Is it our relationship with China that is keeping us from unilaterally making a decision here?

I doubt it’s China, the government is reluctant to get involved with any more military activity in that region; or in any other region for that matter. It’s unlikely that we’ll do anything. At least anything that turns the tables.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 26 February 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
Cloak - 21 February 2012 11:19 PM

I just sat here at work crying at my desk after watching a clip of a father crying over his dead son who just died today from the shelling in Homs. I have two daughters. One who is 15 months, and another who is just over 6 weeks old. What is happening right now in Syria is absolutely horrifying. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more strongly about the US sending troops overseas and blasting those murderers to hell than I do now.

I understand that the issue is much more complex than I’m making it, but I’m just wondering if this is one of those times when war WOULD be justified. I’m curious. I want to know what your individual stances are on this issue.

Revolutions are always bloody and I sympathize with the casualties.  However if the rebels in Syria are to succeed they need find a way to organize themselves in spite of their many differences and themselves lead the overthrow of the dictatorial elite.  It is only by doing this that afterword will they be able to work together and hopefully be successful in building a just society.  Invasion or other military interference will only most likely result in a situation in which no peaceful society can emerge and evolve.  IMO, the humanitarian support and condemnation of the Bashar al-Assad dictatorship is the most we can do at the moment.  If we attempt much more we will be creating another situation similar to Afghanistan or Iraq, or even in the long term Iran.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 01 March 2012 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

“1. ...Friends of the Syrian People… with the participation of more than 60 countries and representatives from the United Nations, the League of Arab States, the European Union, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, the Arab Maghreb Union and the Cooperation Council for the Arab Gulf States to discuss the worsening situation in Syria.”

“2. The Friends’ Group reaffirmed its firm commitment to the sovereignty, independence, national unity and territorial integrity of Syria. “

US Dept. of State: Chairman’s Conclusions of the International Conference of the Group of Friends of the Syrian People, 24 February

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 02 March 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
jump_in_the_pit - 01 March 2012 05:50 PM

“1. ...Friends of the Syrian People… with the participation of more than 60 countries and representatives from the United Nations, the League of Arab States, the European Union, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, the Arab Maghreb Union and the Cooperation Council for the Arab Gulf States to discuss the worsening situation in Syria.”

“2. The Friends’ Group reaffirmed its firm commitment to the sovereignty, independence, national unity and territorial integrity of Syria. “

US Dept. of State: Chairman’s Conclusions of the International Conference of the Group of Friends of the Syrian People, 24 February

What exactly does any of that mean?

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 02 March 2012 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  6046
Joined  2009-02-26
Cloak - 02 March 2012 06:24 PM

Lots of hors d’oeuvres, food, wine, and talk.  What else?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 06 March 2012 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

The US State Department has formed “Group of Friends of the Syrian People” and those are two of the ideas behind the group.

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
jump_in_the_pit - 06 March 2012 12:34 AM

The US State Department has formed “Group of Friends of the Syrian People” and those are two of the ideas behind the group.

And that means that they are going to do what?

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 10 March 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Activist: Amid Executions and Torture, Syrians OK With Risks of No-Fly Zone

Danny Abdul Dayem calls for a No-Fly Zone in Syria, but what will it cost to do that?  Can we do it?  Remember Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya…

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2013 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Now that there is another chemical attack in Syria, Russia seems to want to side with the USA.  I hope that is a good development!

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
traveler - 23 February 2012 01:22 PM

I swam 1500M, biked 10K, and ran 5K today. That puts me in a good mood.

Good job! grin
There’s a smiley so you know I’m being sincere.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 25 August 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
traveler - 23 February 2012 09:13 AM
George - 23 February 2012 08:59 AM
traveler - 23 February 2012 08:42 AM

You don’t think that people in other countries envy our freedom?

No, I really don’t think they do. They envy your wealth.

I think both. Certainly the poor envy wealth, but those lacking freedom must also envy the free (e.g., Muslim woman vs American woman)

Muslim women come to the West by the millions and continue to live like chattel as if they were in Muslim countries.  They aren’t envying freedom.  They are envying jobs and money. Freedom as we define it in the West is not even on their radar.

Posted: 25 August 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Cloak - 06 March 2012 08:45 PM
jump_in_the_pit - 06 March 2012 12:34 AM

And that means that they are going to do what?

Have more hors d’oeuvres, food, wine, and talk?  Actually, we’re ahead of the game if they never get past the eating, drinking and empty talk stage.

Lois

Posted: 10 September 2013 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Could Al-Assad be accepting the proposal from Russia to disarm?  This is a phoney delay for Obama because Al-Assad has not stopped attacking, nor has Russia proposed any real details to bring in a UN inspection regehim, to put the weapons under UN control, they still deny that they have chemical weapons, and did Russia sell them chemical weapons?  I hope I am wrong. downer

Huffington: Syria Accepts Russian Proposal To Surrender Chemical Weapons, Foreign Minister Says

not spam not spam not spam not spam not spam not spam not spam not spam

Signature 

2 of 3