Poll
Has Ayn Rand helped the cause of reason?
undecided 2
yes 4
no 4
Total Votes: 10
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Ayn Rand -bane of logic?
Posted: 24 November 2006 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2006-04-07

While Ayn Rand has helped many like myself come to atheism, she actually was not logical according to philosophers,I understand.What philosophical faults does one find in her philosophy?I find that that she ,at least unknowingly, plagiarized ["Atheism ,Ayn Rand and other Heresies"] She took the notion of parasites from Herbert Spencer.She valued reason,but she inspired a cult.Her staunch individualism is not warranted as the social contract should be used to help us all.

Signature 

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism.He might be wrong!His cognitive defects might impact his posting. Logic is the bane of theists.‘Religion is mythinformation.“Reason saves, not that fanatic Galilean!
  ’ Life is its own validation and reward and ultimate purpose.”

Posted: 24 November 2006 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2006-04-07

Ayn Rand -bane of logic?

While Ayn Rand has helped many like myself come to atheism, she actually was not logical according to philosophers,I understand.What philosophical faults does one find in her philosophy?I find that that she ,at least unknowingly, plagiarized [“Atheism ,Ayn Rand and other Heresies”] She took the notion of parasites from Herbert Spencer.She valued reason,but she inspired a cult.Her staunch individualism is not warranted as the social contract should be used to help us all.

Signature 

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism.He might be wrong!His cognitive defects might impact his posting. Logic is the bane of theists.‘Religion is mythinformation.“Reason saves, not that fanatic Galilean!

Posted: 26 November 2006 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

I too read her in college and shortly thereafter and really found meaning in it up to a point.  The total individualistic nature of her philosophy is one of the turnoffs for me, but the aspect of seeking excellence and creation of value still rings true for me today.  Her books (by that I mean Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged) also showed the danger of being “average” and settling for the status quo, views I still hold to this day and attributes I have tried to impress upon my children.

Posted: 02 December 2006 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-07-06

Personally, my quest to atheism/secular humanism from christian mythology began with some research to find more about the book ‘Emotional Intelligence’ before I read it.

I never got around to read EI but I came across a recommendation to read Nathaniel Branden’s work instead, especially the book, ‘Honor the Self’ and loved it. It had a huge affect on me personally.

Learning more about Mr. Branden of course meant coming face to face with Ms. Rand but when I tried to read both Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, I couldn’t get past Chapter Two. It just didn’t have the same ring with me.

I think that she had a great impact in helping people to take their eyes and hopes off of a god and onto themselves instead.

Posted: 03 December 2006 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“alexdiaz”]I think that she had a great impact in helping people to take their eyes and hopes off of a god and onto themselves instead.

Well, if she helps people take their eyes off god and onto the world and their place in it, that is to the good. However I do recall finding her support of egotism problematic.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 January 2007 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-04-07

:D   See what Dr. Albert Ellis has to say about Rand in his books on toleration and self-esteem. He puts religion in a proper perspective on them. There probaly is no god is my strong atheist position. :idea:  :?:

Signature