Creationism must be taught in School
Posted: 24 February 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2012-02-16

During my review of the journal Science, 10 Feb 2012 page 640, I found the following title: “Creationism School Bill Unlikely to Advance”.  Science gave a short summary and a reference to the complete article: 

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/02/creationist-school-bill-looks.html

The creationism bill was apparently killed by making an amendment that would broaden the scope of the bill to include Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Scientology.  Wow! What a brilliant idea!  If you can group all of the fantasies together, then in some cases it might actually get through to some of the students that their particular fantasy is, in fact, a fantasy! 

Creation Theory should be taught in school – but not part of the Science curriculum – rather, as part of humanities or social science - as a course in Mythology.

Here is one of my favorites taken directly from the links:

“(Bantu tribe of Central Africa) In the beginning there was only darkness, water, and the great god Bumba. One day Bumba, in pain from a stomachache, vomited up the sun. The sun dried up some of the water, leaving land. Still in pain, Bumba vomited up the moon, the stars, and then some animals: the leopard, the crocodile, the turtle, and, finally, some men, one of whom, Yoko Lima was white like Bumba”

Check out:

http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/miranda.htm#AZTEC

http://www.magictails.com/creationlinks.html

And don’t mess with Bumba!

Signature 

If your belief is true, the data will confirm it.  If your belief is false, then you need faith to believe it.
Religions that demand respect the most - are the religions that merit respect the least.
If you are offended by attacks on your religion, then your religion has programmed you well.

Posted: 24 February 2012 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I don’t have a problem with that, TT. Of course Science magazine is concerned about it being taught as a science. That would suck, but perhaps putting it into a humanities course would be a good idea. Why? Because then the science teachers would be free to show the lack of science and reason behind such myths, which is part of what a science class should teach.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 24 February 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4840
Joined  2007-10-05

I agree with you Ted. Teach all the creations myths as what they are. I would enjoy watching the conservative Christians go apoplectic when their kids come home asking why the Genesis creation accounts contradict each other. Oh hell, let’s be realistic. The people who want to teach Christian creationism in schools would go apoplectic as soon as anyone proposed teaching creations myths in a social studies context. Sounds like fun.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 24 February 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2011-08-15

IMO creationism should NOT be taught in science classes but more properly in a literature class. Actually,  A mythology class would be more appropriate. The teacher could emphasize the richness of the themes, the comparisons and contrasts of the creation myths based on the geographic area in which the culture was based. For instance, creation stories from a wooded area would contrast greatly from that of a desert culture. One comparision would be the constant allusion to water. Many creation myths begin with the Earth being covered in water and some miracle occurrs to create land. In the case of the Cherokee myth, a water spider dives to the ocean floor to retreive mud which, when coming to the surface spreads out to become dry land. Then, a buzzard flying low over the land creates mountains and vallys by dipping it’s wings. This is just one of many myths that involve water as the first element to be mentioned, and it has nothing to do with the scientific method. Personally, if the bill in Indiana had been rammed through I would have insisted on equal time for all Native myths. After all this was their homeland, and how do you relate to a religion that has no significant land marks from your own area? And although these myths are an indelible part of the hundreds of cultures existing on Earth they most certainly are not science. As much as we’d like to think it, we donot live on the back of a giant turtle. It’s kind of cool though.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 24 February 2012 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09
Thevillageatheist - 24 February 2012 07:16 AM

As much as we’d like to think it, we do not live on the back of a giant turtle.

What? No, no, the Earth is supported on the backs of four elephants, which stand on the back of the Cosmic Turtle. Great A’Tuin. Haven’t you read the Gospel According to Pratchett? Those elephants are a vitally important part of the whole structure.

The theory proposed by some heretics that “It’s turtles, turtles, turtles all the way down”, is arrant unscientific nonsense, totally contradicted by easily observable facts. All you need to do to thoroughly refute it is to go to the edge and look over. Trust me.

Theflyingsorcerer.

Posted: 25 February 2012 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting TVA:

IMO creationism should NOT be taught in science classes but more properly in a literature class. Actually,  A mythology class would be more appropriate.

I do agree that if it must be taught in public school that’s a better choice, however, I’m strongly against even wasting school time with it.  If the thesists want it taught, they should do so in their Sunday schools.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 26 February 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

IMO creationism should NOT be taught in science classes but more properly in a literature class. Actually,  A mythology class would be more appropriate. The teacher could emphasize the richness of the themes, the comparisons and contrasts of the creation myths based on the geographic area in which the culture was based. For instance, creation stories from a wooded area would contrast greatly from that of a desert culture. One comparision would be the constant allusion to water. Many creation myths begin with the Earth being covered in water and some miracle occurrs to create land. In the case of the Cherokee myth, a water spider dives to the ocean floor to retreive mud which, when coming to the surface spreads out to become dry land. Then, a buzzard flying low over the land creates mountains and vallys by dipping it’s wings. This is just one of many myths that involve water as the first element to be mentioned, and it has nothing to do with the scientific method. Personally, if the bill in Indiana had been rammed through I would have insisted on equal time for all Native myths. After all this was their homeland, and how do you relate to a religion that has no significant land marks from your own area? And although these myths are an indelible part of the hundreds of cultures existing on Earth they most certainly are not science. As much as we’d like to think it, we donot live on the back of a giant turtle. It’s kind of cool though.

Cap’t Jack

Perhaps these myths could be taught as part of a course on the “Science of Societal Organization?”

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 26 February 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
garythehuman - 26 February 2012 09:21 AM

Cap’t Jack

Perhaps these myths could be taught as part of a course on the “Science of Societal Organization?”

No, I don’t think we need another soft science. Leave the word science to mean science/reality. But I love most of your ideas Gary!

Signature 

Posted: 26 February 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4840
Joined  2007-10-05

What not call them what they are? Creation Myths. I suggest Anthropology 1301 - Creation Myths of World Cultures.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 26 February 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 26 February 2012 09:48 AM

What not call them what they are? Creation Myths. I suggest Anthropology 1301 - Creation Myths of World Cultures.

It would be great if done right. Problem is avoiding the alternative possibility, which is that this becomes the camel’s nose under the tent ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 February 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

Travler
No, I don’t think we need another soft science. Leave the word science to mean science/reality. But I love most of your ideas Gary!

Darron
I suggest Anthropology 1301 - Creation Myths of World Cultures.

The title is not that important, the knowledge of various world views, how they arose and what and how they are used for is.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 27 February 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
garythehuman - 27 February 2012 02:39 PM

Travler

Darron
I suggest Anthropology 1301 - Creation Myths of World Cultures.

The title is not that important, the knowledge of various world views, how they arose and what and how they are used for is.

I think that if it is titled science, then that is an important mistake.

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

I’m prejudiced, my degree is in “Political Science. mad  grin

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 27 February 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
garythehuman - 27 February 2012 02:47 PM

Great! That’s something that has been studied as a science. It is not a myth. People (and their states) do react in (sometimes) predictable ways. That’s what propaganda is all about.

That also explains your love for The Economist.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2012 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
traveler - 27 February 2012 03:28 PM
garythehuman - 27 February 2012 02:47 PM

Great! That’s something that has been studied as a science. It is not a myth. People (and their states) do react in (sometimes) predictable ways. That’s what propaganda is all about.

That also explains your love for The Economist.  smile

Propaganda is only myth in formation.  Seriously I think the study of myth as a organizing tool for societies can be done in a fairly scientific or at least systematic manner.

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 27 February 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2011-08-15

Actually it more properly falls into the category of cultural anthropology where folk stories are analyzed to study the first cultures. AndI guess you could say that out of the myths developed the first crude government that was theocracy. After all, somebody had to tell us what Marduk was thinking when he developed man! Or was it Yahweh?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

‹‹ Question about faith.      white Gift ››