Alan Turing – honor him after 100 years
Posted: 25 February 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2012-02-16

Alan Turing was born June 23, 1912.  He was a polymath – a genius in many fields including Mathematics, Engineering, Cryptography, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Biology, and Physics.  In WWII he was able to break the Nazi Enigma Code – which saved thousands of lives and shortened the war.  Unfortunately, Turing was also gay, and in the UK in the 50’s being gay was illegal.  Turing was prosecuted in 1952 and he committed suicide in 1954.

Signature 

If your belief is true, the data will confirm it.  If your belief is false, then you need faith to believe it.
Religions that demand respect the most - are the religions that merit respect the least.
If you are offended by attacks on your religion, then your religion has programmed you well.

Posted: 25 February 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Ted Tyler - 25 February 2012 12:29 PM

Alan Turing was born June 23, 1912.  He was a polymath – a genius in many fields including Mathematics, Engineering, Cryptography, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Biology, and Physics.  In WWII he was able to break the Nazi Enigma Code – which saved thousands of lives and shortened the war.  Unfortunately, Turing was also gay, and in the UK in the 50’s being gay was illegal.  Turing was prosecuted in 1952 and he committed suicide in 1954.

Yep, tragic story.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 February 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

The fact that they are finally ‘honoring’ him is an empty gesture, since they have not overturned his conviction and admitted they were wrong…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 February 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1822
Joined  2007-10-28

After more than 50 years of his tragic premature death:

From the wiki on Alan Turing

Turing is widely considered to be the father of computer science and artificial intelligence. He was stockily built, had a high-pitched voice, and was talkative, witty, and somewhat donnish. He showed many of the characteristics that are indicative of Asperger syndrome.

Official public apology:

Turing’s homosexuality resulted in a criminal prosecution in 1952, when homosexual acts were still illegal in the United Kingdom. He accepted treatment with female hormones (chemical castration) as an alternative to prison. He died in 1954, just over two weeks before his 42nd birthday, from cyanide poisoning. An inquest determined it was suicide; his mother and some others believed his death was accidental. On 10 September 2009, following an Internet campaign, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown made an official public apology on behalf of the British government for the way in which Turing was treated after the war.

Centenary commemoration

On February 23rd 2012 the Royal Mail released a stamp featuring Turing as part its “Britons of Distinction” series.

Signature 

I am, therefore I think.

Posted: 28 February 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Wow… I didn’t know about the tragic end of Turing’s life. It is encouraging that we are moving past such atrocities, and discouraging that there are those who would like us to go back.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 28 February 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-10-09

The most tragic and ironic part of the whole story, as I understand it, was that Sir Stewart Menzies, the MI5 Spymaster who was instrumental in Turing’s dismissal, was himself homosexual.

Theflyingsorcerer.

Posted: 28 February 2012 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

He probably figured that by attacking Turing he was locking the door to the closet he was in so people wouldn’t recognize his status.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 February 2012 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2587
Joined  2011-04-24

I wonder if the pain in Turing’s life is what motivated him to pour so much of his effort and time into his projects?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4618
Joined  2007-10-05

That could be true, mid atlantic. It may also be that being such a genius Turing was self-motivated.

I read about Turing’s life 30 years ago, and recognized the travesty in how the British government treated him. He should have been knighted, not driven to suicide. Turing’s story was a big influence on my acceptance of gays when I was young.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 01 March 2012 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t think I ever felt that gays shouldn’t be accepted, but the person who helped me understand the pain a gay person must have gone through in the past was Oscar Wilde. I still get very upset when I imagine how much more Wilde could have given us if they didn’t kill him. It actually makes me furious.

Posted: 02 March 2012 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 01 March 2012 08:20 PM

I don’t think I ever felt that gays shouldn’t be accepted, but the person who helped me understand the pain a gay person must have gone through in the past was Oscar Wilde. I still get very upset when I imagine how much more Wilde could have given us if they didn’t kill him. It actually makes me furious.

Agreed. Same with MLK, John Lennon, and of course many, many more. Lost potential…

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 02 March 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
traveler - 02 March 2012 06:40 AM
George - 01 March 2012 08:20 PM

Agreed. Same with MLK, John Lennon, and of course many, many more. Lost potential…

Don’t forget Elvis!  cool smirk (He was killed by the CIA, you know….)

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell