4 of 4
Five of instinct()
Posted: 06 March 2012 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

I see truth in a somewhat different light.  My definition of truth is what one believes is reality.  In other words, there is one objective reality that would exist even if no sentient beings existed.  Everyone has his/her own view of what reality is, which is his/her “truth”.  I’m sure the truths of some of us are quite a bit more in consonence with objective reality than the truths of others.  However, we are almost all fairly to completely certain of our own truth.  When a theist talks about the revealed truth that comes from a deity, that’s quite different from the truth nontheists see as being defined by scientific investigation and research.

I realize many will disagree with me and try to nitpick, however, that’s why I used the pronoun “MY” prior to “definition”. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 March 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Ted Tyler - 06 March 2012 10:26 AM

For a Christian, The Truth is belief in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ - which, of course, has nothing to do with truth.  Remember, “The Truth will set you free”.
TT.

I am sorry TT, I understand what you are trying to convey. i also believe that dialogue is an important ingredient in “understanding”. And in my view understanding brings peace.

But religious truth does not set you free, on the contrary, it binds you to live the religious truth regardless of your own observations as to truth.
Consider the 6 day creation myth. Does that set one free from science? No, it does exactly the opposite, it binds you to a demonstrable falsehood, regatdless of understanding that the universe is 13.7 billion years old. What to do then? Modify scripture? But you cannot, you are bound to your scripture as being the Truth.

I have no objection to anyone believing in a greater Universal Unity. It is a secular belief and allows for both spiritual and scientific interpretation.
But as soon as a religion sets forth falsehoods which demand “proper” behavior to “praise or please” this neutral concept, it binds and stifles, not set you free or give you peace with your neighbor. And therein lies the rub. My “proper behavior” in accordance with my view of Truth may offend my neighbor who follows a different “proper behavior” in accordance with his view of Truth.

Try to visualize such a situation in science.  Every scientist could claim to have found the Unification theory, without having to offer proof or falsification. Science would be in shambles. This is why science has a fundamental command of “demonstrable proof”, which is absent from religion.
Only demonstrable proof offers peace of mind. In the absence of proof the search MUST go on, until the secrets are revealed by proof and understood by all. Only then we can claim Universal Truth, and with that comes Universal Peace.

[ Edited: 06 March 2012 06:51 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 07 March 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
lreadl - 06 March 2012 04:37 PM
Ted Tyler - 06 March 2012 03:29 AM

Hi Bross,

Here is a little note on Religion and Atheism that you might find interesting:

In Truth you will find peace

We all seek the Truth, for in the Truth we will find peace.

The Hindu has found the Truth in Brahma – and then has found peace.

The Buddhist has found the Truth in Buddha – and then has found peace.

The Taoist has found the Truth in Laozi – and then has found peace.

The Jew has found the Truth in the Lord – and then has found peace.

The Christian has found the Truth in Jesus – and then has found peace.

The Muslim has found the Truth in Allah – and then has found peace.

But for the Atheist, Truth is a beautiful elusive mistress – to be sought - to be approached – but never obtained.  Pity the poor Atheist – who will never find peace.

TT.

Can I just offer this?

It seems to me that “Truth” in the poem is to be read cynically as “certitude”. Thus he is saying, “My Truth is My Truth and My Truth is The (Only) Truth. Of this I am certain and therefore nothing troubles me—hence I am at Peace”.

The inferred conclusion, by linking the poem’s author to the atheist in the poem is, similar to Frost’s famous line “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— 
I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.”; alluding to the fact that the atheist position = the road less traveled; and, as the more difficult path, the atheist’s is the more rewarding.

Just sayin’

Re: re-writing the poem, one could say: the Hindu resolved his cognitive dissonance through his beliefs of the Brahma, the Buddist resolved his cognitive dissonance through his beliefs in the Buddha, etc… etc…, the atheist can tolerate some cognitive dissonance, in favor of not accepting some arbitrary non-evidence based belief system.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

4 of 4

‹‹ white Gift      A pastor who lost his faith ››