RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  297
Joined  2011-09-13

http://machineslikeus.com/news/likely-cause-death-young-earth-creationism

Posted: 29 February 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2005-01-14

“I am curious as to how young-Earth creationists, and hard as it is to believe there are many in America, react to news stories like this that matter-of-factly challenge their core beliefs without any kind of hedging. Do they get angry?”

The author of the article needs to get out more, I think.  A young Earth creationist reading an article like this which mentions a 32,000 year old seed (which is impossible because to him the Earth is less than 10,000 years old), will simply ignore the entire story.  Obviously those “idiot scientists” can’t even get the date right, so the rest of the conclusions are also suspect.  Obviously.

Posted: 29 February 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Either that or they subscribe to the theory that Satan himself planted the evidence (fossils, old seeds, stars that “appear” to be light-years away, etc.) He is the father of lies, you know.  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 01 March 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

FiK I’d think you would know Young Earth Creationists better. They simply deny the validity of radiocarbon dating, so stories like this have no effect on them.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 02 March 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2005-01-14

The blog mentions that the article was in the “Plain Dealer”.  I’m thinking Cleveland?  Maybe I have a different perspective living in the deep south.  If an article supporting evolution appeared in a newspaper down here, they could expect letters to the editor complaining about the liberal bias “shoving evolution down our throats”.  What the blogger doesn’t realize is that in the creationist fantasyland, evolution has already been proven wrong.  The only reason we evolutionists still go on about it is we’re plain mean, we’d rather believe a lie than the “obvious truth” that God created life.

Posted: 02 March 2012 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
DarronS - 01 March 2012 07:56 PM

FiK I’d think you would know Young Earth Creationists better. They simply deny the validity of radiocarbon dating, so stories like this have no effect on them.

Darron, watch this. Hilarious!

http://youtu.be/w0gAcbAGPH4

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 02 March 2012 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

Thanks for the link, Free. “They watch the Flintstones as if it is a documentary.” Perfect.  LOL

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 02 March 2012 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Yeah, that was a great line. My favorite part is the devil as Wile E Coyote manufacturing fossils and sending his minions out to scatter them about the earth. That and his facial expressions.  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 07 March 2012 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2012-03-05

This is a big problem which needs to be addressed in proper fashion. These people should be treated as though they are as honest as the next person, regarding this topic. They could be just as morally upright as your granny or most people of past generations who truly believed.

First, there should be recognition of the under-education that affects so many. This goes for people on both sides. Wrong ideas permeate through those “on board”, as well !

Next, no stumbling block should be placed for these people, so as to further the fighting or to induce a failure to accept.

As well, no heaping of scorn upon partial acceptance. No stumbling block placed that tells them they must bet their imaginary soul on a scientist’s “say-so”. ( denying god or their religion immediately,  if they are really to accept Evolution as true)

Very important is that scientists do not give ANY false information which could be known to be untrue i.e., things about their own religion which they know to be false or wrong.

These things would help.

Any agreement with these points ?

[ Edited: 07 March 2012 11:20 AM by FrenchCurve ]

Posted: 07 March 2012 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
FrenchCurve - 07 March 2012 11:10 AM

This is a big problem which needs to be addressed in proper fashion. These people should be treated as though they are as honest as the next person, regarding this topic. They could be just as morally upright as your granny or most people of past generations who truly believed.

First, there should be recognition of the under-education that affects so many. This goes for people on both sides. Wrong ideas permeate through those “on board”, as well !

Next, no stumbling block should be placed for these people, so as to further the fighting or to induce a failure to accept.

As well, no heaping of scorn upon partial acceptance. No stumbling block placed that tells them they must bet their imaginary soul on a scientist’s “say-so”. ( denying god or their religion immediately,  if they are really to accept Evolution as true)

Very important is that scientists do not give ANY false information which could be known to be untrue i.e., things about their own religion which they know to be false or wrong.

These things would help.

I mostly agree.  Lack of real education is a problem in many places, but hardcore Theists are hardcore - educated or not; in other words they can’t be converted.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 07 March 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2012-03-05
mid atlantic - 07 March 2012 05:56 PM
FrenchCurve - 07 March 2012 11:10 AM

These things would help.

I mostly agree.  Lack of real education is a problem in many places, but hardcore Theists are hardcore - educated or not; in other words they can’t be converted.

I also do see some ( rather large ) portion as dishonest Creationist representatives who are not at all interested in truth. However, even some of their followers may not be dishonest. So my thought is that you have to treat them as honest until they are dishonest.

I’m going to add as my swan song: as physicists mull over ideas such as “we are a hologram”, one cannot really blame people for for basically equating that kind of thing,  with the idea that there is “other reality” -  could be like the one they cherish.

Each person must make it IN STEPS, with Evolution. Hardly anyone “gets” the whole thing, specially from outside.

[ Edited: 07 March 2012 09:39 PM by FrenchCurve ]