Long time lurker finally creates an account.
Posted: 29 February 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-02-29

Hi everyone. Yes, I’ve been lurking around these parts for quite some time and finally decided to create an account to jump into the discussion.

Posted: 29 February 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2012-02-16

Hi Lurker,

What the Hell is a Solar Powered Swamp Cooler?  Well, I Goggled it to find the following: [Removed URL: sorry but this is too close to an advertisement. dougsmith—Admin]
Thanks for expanding our knowledge a bit.
TT.

[ Edited: 29 February 2012 08:06 PM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

If your belief is true, the data will confirm it.  If your belief is false, then you need faith to believe it.
Religions that demand respect the most - are the religions that merit respect the least.
If you are offended by attacks on your religion, then your religion has programmed you well.

Posted: 29 February 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-02-29

You must not live in a desert.

Posted: 01 March 2012 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2012-02-16

Point of Clarification
  In Lurker’s original post, he mentions a solar powered swamp cooler.  So what is a swamp cooler?  Perhaps this is a gigantic device to cool swamps.  Now there are giant snakes invading the Florida swamp lands.  Could this device be used to cool the swamp – and therefore slow the increasing snake population?  Sounds extremely unlikely – just about on the same order as the existence of God! 
  So I Googled “swamp cooler” and found that a swamp cooler is some type of air conditioner mechanical thing.  It has absolutely nothing to do with cooling swamps.
TT.

Signature 

If your belief is true, the data will confirm it.  If your belief is false, then you need faith to believe it.
Religions that demand respect the most - are the religions that merit respect the least.
If you are offended by attacks on your religion, then your religion has programmed you well.

Posted: 01 March 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3195
Joined  2011-11-04
Ted Tyler - 01 March 2012 07:46 AM

Point of Clarification
  In Lurker’s original post, he mentions a solar powered swamp cooler.  So what is a swamp cooler?  Perhaps this is a gigantic device to cool swamps.  Now there are giant snakes invading the Florida swamp lands.  Could this device be used to cool the swamp – and therefore slow the increasing snake population?  Sounds extremely unlikely – just about on the same order as the existence of God! 
  So I Googled “swamp cooler” and found that a swamp cooler is some type of air conditioner mechanical thing.  It has absolutely nothing to do with cooling swamps.
TT.

Growing up in the summer heat of Texas, before central air conditioning was prominently available, an evaporative air conditioner (aka swamp cooler) was a joy to stand in front of as a child.  I like the idea of creating solar powered ones, though you’d still be out of luck on hot summer nights.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 March 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

The reason it’s called a “swamp” cooler, Ted, is that by blowing the interior air over water to cool the air, the evaporating water raises the humidity.  This makes the internal environment seem more like the high humidity of a swamp.

Rather than using solar energy to move the water, I’d rather it be used to run a refrigeration unit so the interior air is cooled without raising the humidity as much.

Occam

[ Edited: 01 March 2012 04:30 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 March 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome systematical84.  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

‹‹ Well hello there!      java7nerd ››