2 of 2
Pinker’s “Better Angels” Book
Posted: 01 March 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
George - 01 March 2012 12:32 PM

If the Muslims continue to experience a higher fitness than the Europeans, Islam may eventually take over.

I’m sure the millions of European and American Muslims would be as confused by that statement as I am.  rolleyes

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 01 March 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
FreeInKy - 01 March 2012 12:46 PM

If the Muslims continue to experience a higher fitness than the Europeans, Islam may eventually take over.

I’m sure the millions of European and American Muslims would be as confused by that statement as I am.  rolleyes

I don’t really know why you would be confused by that, but maybe you and the Muslims don’t understand what the word “fitness” refers to. Look it up.

Posted: 01 March 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
George - 01 March 2012 01:00 PM

I don’t really know why you would be confused by that, but maybe you and the Muslims don’t understand what the word “fitness” refers to. Look it up.

You still don’t see it? Did you re-read your statement? Comparing Muslims to Europeans is like comparing apples to fruit.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 01 March 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
FreeInKy - 01 March 2012 01:04 PM

You still don’t see it? Did you re-read your statement? Comparing Muslims to Europeans is like comparing apples to fruit.

gulp

Yeah, this PC stuff will get you very far. But I guess it’s easier than “big, dense books”...

Posted: 01 March 2012 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
George - 01 March 2012 01:24 PM
FreeInKy - 01 March 2012 01:04 PM

gulp

Yeah, this PC stuff will get you very far. But I guess it’s easier than “big, dense books”...

What’s PC about calling you out on an invalid comparison? It’s logic 101. Are you even following my train of thought here? Think about it. You are referencing two sets of people: Muslims and Europeans. But those sets are not mutually exclusive; in fact, there is a lot of overlap. Not to mention the fact that one refers to a geographical region and the other to a religious affiliation.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 01 March 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

Thanks for the synopsis Doug.  I have not read the book -  going by the reviews I’ve gotten from this forum, I’ll wait untill the library has it.  What if Pinker is looking at the wrong ingredients?  Perhaps people are just as violent as they have always been; but the combination of more efficient “policing”, and our modern comforting distractions are simply curtailing some of the violent/anti - social behavior.  Anywhere in the world whenever some catastrophe happens, all hell breaks loose. Every concievable social group is affected; there are some individuals who seem to stay above the chaos, but they are the exception.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 March 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24

Reproduction. The amount of kids being born who carry those traits is what determines evolutionary “fitness”.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 10 March 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

So anyhow overall it’s a good book, densely argued and pretty convincing, though not at all an easy read

My bad! Read the review again and I guess I picked up on the criticisms, although I don’t understand the above??! I found it not only an easy read but entertaining too. Although this is my first Pinker book and I have nothing to compare it to. I’m going to pick up (download now) another soon. smile

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 March 2012 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
Thevillageatheist - 10 March 2012 02:51 PM

So anyhow overall it’s a good book, densely argued and pretty convincing, though not at all an easy read

My bad! Read the review again and I guess I picked up on the criticisms, although I don’t understand the above??! I found it not only an easy read but entertaining too. Although this is my first Pinker book and I have nothing to compare it to. I’m going to pick up (download now) another soon. smile

No worries. I thought his earlier books, particularly Language Instinct, were easier reads. I also remember them as being a lot lighter in tone; more jokes and anecdotes.

(Response from THIS thread).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 March 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

I found Blank Slate his best, though some of the folks I have recommended it to say the first half is tough going. Actually didn’t care for Language Instinct much, but then I’ve read a bit more in that area and already had opinions, which probably influenced my reception of the book.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

2 of 2