Locating freethinking students on campus?
Posted: 01 March 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-03-01

I’ve been considering starting a freethought/humanist/atheist/secular society at my university and the main problem is that I don’t know any students who would be interested.

I’m a research student and most people I know are too busy with things such as family. It seems the trend is that societies are mainly dominated by undergraduates and I don’t know many of those. I’m also quite shy and find it hard to introduce myself to new people. I have put out an ad in the socities newsletter for anyone interested in a freethought society, but had no luck. I’d put up a poster, but we’re not allowed to put up posters at the union for societies that aren’t affiliated, and I’d need 10 members for that, and putting up posters of anything in the university building seems quite restricted too. I’m feeling a bit alone in this endevor, which is why I’ve pritty much given up or at least put my efforts on indefinent hold. Does anyone have any ideas I can try to find some people?

Posted: 01 March 2012 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2631
Joined  2011-04-24
java7nerd - 01 March 2012 05:24 PM

I’ve been considering starting a freethought/humanist/atheist/secular society at my university and the main problem is that I don’t know any students who would be interested.

I’m a research student and most people I know are too busy with things such as family. It seems the trend is that societies are mainly dominated by undergraduates and I don’t know many of those. I’m also quite shy and find it hard to introduce myself to new people. I have put out an ad in the socities newsletter for anyone interested in a freethought society, but had no luck. I’d put up a poster, but we’re not allowed to put up posters at the union for societies that aren’t affiliated, and I’d need 10 members for that, and putting up posters of anything in the university building seems quite restricted too. I’m feeling a bit alone in this endevor, which is why I’ve pritty much given up or at least put my efforts on indefinent hold. Does anyone have any ideas I can try to find some people?

I’m not in the UK and I’m not a student; but outside of waiting for good luck to strike you, you have to try and overcome your shyness and get on with it. As someone who has a bit of social anxiety, I can tell you it gets easier after you’ve made the first move.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Does anyone have any ideas I can try to find some people?

It’s really as simple as talking to people and getting to know them. As time goes on, you’ll see some clues as to what they’re all about and if you can test the waters by way of casual conversation to get a sense of what, if anything, they believe and why.

You might be pleasantly surprised to find skeptically minded freethinkers are a bit more common then you may realize. Even here in the buckle of the Bible Belt, I didn’t have an undo amount of trouble of people who live by the maxim of “Question authority and think for yourself.”

One point however: It does take some patience. There are some parts of the planet where a skeptical view of things like religion don’t go over very well and because of this, people who are if not atheist or agnostic, are inclined to disagree with the local pastors tend to be very careful about who they’re candid with, and not always without good reason. Freethinkers of any stripe…be they atheist, agnostic, unspecific deist, or progressive and liberal Christians/Jews/Muslims…are not very well recieved by people who don’t do any thinking at all. But if you ARE patient, it can pay off.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 03 March 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

If you are not good at talking to people, try to find your “Steve Jobs,” and you can ramain focusing on the rest. Just like Woz.  wink

Posted: 16 February 2013 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-02-16

It’s better opportunity for students to improving their mentality.