1 of 5
Neil de Grasse Tyson at the Office
Posted: 02 March 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Video on Science Friday HERE. Neil’s still the best!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 March 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

“Then there’s this whole thing about role models. Let’s go back in time. I’m 10 years old, 11 years old, a black kid from the Bronx. Now I need to find another black kid from the Bronx who became an astrophysicist, so that I can become an astrophysicist? Excuse me? No. No! No one would ever become anything that no one before them had become if that’s how you select your role models.”

Just awesome. I love this guy.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I was blessed to see Him speak here at UB.  wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 02 March 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Got to have dinner with him and a large group in NY a few years back. He’s a great raconteur, there’s no doubt!

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 02 March 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Asanta and McKenzie got to enjoy an evening talk by Tyson a couple of years ago while I sat outside and listened to a local transmission of the last half of it because of the stupid Jetblue airline that had a three hour delay on the flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco. vampire  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 March 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2006-11-28

Yes, a great storyteller, which is what we need more of. Just watched the begining of Cosmos again last night. Mighty dated, but still the greatest!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 02 March 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Sagan’s introduction to “Cosmos” is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Tyson is okay. Apart from the two of them talking about the universe, though, I don’t really think they have much in common. I have to be in the right mood for Tyson, but Sagan I can take in unlimited doses.

Posted: 02 March 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

Great video.  I got a laugh out of the Tyson doll.  Too bad he’s married.  :(  I think he’s not only cute, but a brilliantly intelligent man.  His intelligence is sooooo sexy!  LOL  That and how he talks about the universe.  smile

Gee, I have nothing to contribute to this thread, except my drooling over him.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 02 March 2012 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2006-11-28

Yes, George, they do have quite different styles. FWIW, I think Sagan is too poetic for today’s audience. Even an old hippy like me found the introduction a bit over the top, though when I first saw it blew me away, and it still resonates. I especially like his ability to unselfconsciously talk about science and reality in the way that achieves the emotional quality more often found in the poetry of religion and mysticism. But I’m not sure anyone could get way with that today.

Tyson seems to have eloquence and charisma, like Sagan, but a style that is, of course, more of the current era. My tastes run to the old hippy philosopher/astronomer, but I’m already old enough that my tastes are “quaint” at best to my daughter’s generation. Anyway, Peaxce, Love, and Science, Man! wink

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 02 March 2012 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24

I’m not familar with Carl Sagan; Cosmos was long before my time, and I’ve never felt the urge to read his books.  Neil Tyson seems a likable guy, I bet he’s great at the “Hayden”.  If I ever get back to NYC, I’m going to check it out.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 02 March 2012 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
mckenzievmd - 02 March 2012 10:06 PM

Yes, George, they do have quite different styles. FWIW, I think Sagan is too poetic for today’s audience. Even an old hippy like me found the introduction a bit over the top, though when I first saw it blew me away, and it still resonates. I especially like his ability to unselfconsciously talk about science and reality in the way that achieves the emotional quality more often found in the poetry of religion and mysticism. But I’m not sure anyone could get way with that today.

Tyson seems to have eloquence and charisma, like Sagan, but a style that is, of course, more of the current era. My tastes run to the old hippy philosopher/astronomer, but I’m already old enough that my tastes are “quaint” at best to my daughter’s generation. Anyway, Peaxce, Love, and Science, Man! wink

Pot has a poetic effect on some. tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2012 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

A funny meme

Image Attachments
kj9.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2012 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26
mid atlantic - 02 March 2012 11:34 PM

I’m not familar with Carl Sagan; Cosmos was long before my time, and I’ve never felt the urge to read his books.  Neil Tyson seems a likable guy, I bet he’s great at the “Hayden”.  If I ever get back to NYC, I’m going to check it out.

Sagan is for all ages. of course the knowledge and graphics were not as refined as today, but I cannot imagine anyone listening to his unique kind of presentation, not taking a peek upward and wonder.  I loved all his ‘cosmos” videos as well as his books. “The bi-cameral mind” was very enlightening.
Degrasse Tyson is a little more modern but at par in entertainment and making things understandable for the layman.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 March 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

The one thing I can’t stand in today’s science documentaries are the sound effects. The swooshing sounds drive me absolutely crazy. I guess I am now officially an old man.

Posted: 03 March 2012 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 02 March 2012 11:34 PM

Hooo boy. You HAVE to get a copy of Cosmos and watch it. Apparently the shows are available for free download somewhere (YouTube?), though it’s better to see them on a TV where you can sit back and get into them.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 03 March 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, YouTube now has a high-definition Cosmos available. If you have Apple TV, you are all set.  wink

1 of 5