3 of 26
The real dangers of religion.
Posted: 07 March 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Your comment, George, made me smile and recall a conversation with a homosexual chemist I worked with many years ago where he said he found the female genetalia disgusting.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 March 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05
George - 07 March 2012 01:28 PM

Well, yeah. If a large portion of a given population is wacko, then a wacko ideology will have an impact. That’s why it’s okay for people in Switzerland to own guns, but it’s probably not a good idea in the U.S.

You’re hitting pretty close to home there buddy. I’m getting ready to buy a handgun and start taking lessons to get my concealed carry permit.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 07 March 2012 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-10-17
George - 06 March 2012 12:27 PM

But that’s medieval Europe. There is obviously a more recent problem in Africa. Again, it is easy to take advantage of the people’s innate tendency to be superstitious, although here I suspect it happens for different reasons. Witchcraft in Africa probably serves the purpose of keeping women subservient in their society. I believe the recent rise of murders due to witchcraft in Africa is related not to the introduction of Christianity, but to the rise of the (potential) women equality. As always, it is very easy to confuse correlation for causation.

The witch hunting in Africa that I have heard about mostly in the past 5 to 10 years has mostly children as the victims.  Parents are convinced that their child is a witch and pour gasoline on her or him and set the child on fire, or lately you hear mostly about acid being thrown on the child, or poured down the child’s throat as a means of exorcism.  These are not just female children.  Sometimes it is orphans or children with diseases and therefore considered less valuable.  This is not to keep women subservient.  These people believe that doing this will deliver them from poverty.  You may point out that it is has socioeconomic causes, but why are they turning to religious explanations instead of looking for rational explanations to their situations?

Tying this back to the original topic, a problem with introducing religious thinking, and making that the default way to look at things, is it provides an excuse to avoid tough analytic thinking, and an excuse for ignorance.  Not all superstition-based solutions are as harmful as the witch hunting that has been taking place in Nigeria these days, but at the very least, having a religious-based means of thinking as a base provides a nonsensical ineffective alternative to, well, reality.  For example, many Xtians don’t want to believe that the current size and activity of the human population can make our environment less habitable for our species, because “God will provide”, or they believe it’s good to “bring on the end of the world, because we will be sent to a better one”.

Signature 

I Don’t Want My Country Back, I Want My Country Forward

Posted: 08 March 2012 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Just a few dangers off the top of my head early in the morning:

Parents who let their children die of curable diseases while they pray for God to heal them.
IDiots who try to get their mythology taught as science in public schools.
Muslim judge in the U.S. ruling that assaulting someone carrying a sign mocking Mohammed is free speech.
Abortion opponents* wanting to overturn Roe v Wade and make women carry fetuses to term no matter the consequences.

I’ll probably think of a dozen more when the caffeine kicks in. And *George, before you say it, I have debated many abortion opponents and the vast majority of them cited the Bible as their reason to oppose abortion.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 08 March 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 08 March 2012 05:44 AM

I have debated many abortion opponents and the vast majority of them cited the Bible as their reason to oppose abortion.

The odd thing is that anything like abortion only appears in one place in the Bible: Ex. 21:22-25, and it is not at all clear from this passage that a fetus is considered a full human being.

“22 If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely [Or she has a miscarriage] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

Given the first sentence, it is clear that “serious injury” in 23 means serious injury to the mother, not the fetus.

Some interpret 22 as meaning that there is only a fine if the fetus survives, but apparently this is not at all clear from the Hebrew, and indeed the Jewish tradition is to interpret it as “miscarriage”. E.g., the Jewish Bible of the Jewish Publication Society translates it that way.

If a miscarriage results in a fine, this shows that the fetus is not considered a full human being (for whom the punishment would be life for life) but rather something more akin to the health of the mother, or an asset of the family.

I think a believer has to be a bit concerned that—at the very least—God was very unclear about what he meant in this situation.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 March 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

The believers I have talked with and debated all invoke the “Thou Shalt Not Kill” commandment and argue a fetus is human at conception, so killing the fetus is murder. That is quite a stretch, but I think I mentioned early in this thread that religion teaches people to take things on faith, ignoring whatever conclusions evidence and rational thinking leads to.

[ Edited: 08 March 2012 05:59 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 08 March 2012 05:57 AM

The believers I have talked with and debated all invoke the “Thou Shalt Not Kill” commandment and argue a fetus is human at conception, so killing the fetus is murder. That is quite a stretch, but I think I mentioned early in this thread that religion teaches people to take things on faith, ignoring whatever conclusions evidence and rational thinking leads to.

Yeah, I understand. But using “thou shalt not kill” in that context assumes the fetus is a full human, so it’s not necessarily relevant to the case of abortion. The passage I cited is plainly relevant in that case, since it’s about fetuses in particular. That is the only passage in the Bible that is actually relevant.

Problem is, many believers don’t actually know their Bible.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 March 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

So in Africa Christianity is responsible for parents pouring gasoline over their children’s heads and setting them on fire and in the U.S. Christianity wants to protect the children’s lives even before their birth. In Europe in the meantime, the only thing Christianity seems to provide these days is a cool place inside the church during hot summer days. But keep inquiring, guys.

Posted: 08 March 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

We never said religions are consistent.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2012 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  4377
Joined  2007-08-31
George - 08 March 2012 06:34 AM

In Europe in the meantime, the only thing Christianity seems to provide these days is a cool place inside the church during hot summer days. But keep inquiring, guys.

I have never had so many days off since I am living in a Catholic Canton in Switzerland: Epihany, St Joseph’s day, Corpus Christi, Assumption, All Saint’s day, Immaculate Conception. All days I’ve never had days off before.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 08 March 2012 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
DarronS - 08 March 2012 06:44 AM

Religions may not be consistent, but people are. An African will always be on average more violent than a European no matter what the religious fashion of the day may be.

Posted: 08 March 2012 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2008-09-10
George - 07 March 2012 11:59 AM
ciceronianus - 07 March 2012 10:54 AM
George - 07 March 2012 10:44 AM
ciceronianus - 07 March 2012 10:12 AM

I think you’ll find that most atheists and agnostics were brought up as religious.

You have never been to Europe, have you?

Sigh.

Well, I have been, but it’s okay, I’ll play along.  It’s hard to be the straight man, though. 

Why do you ask?

Because the largest percentage of the atheist population is to be found in Europe and they were not brought up as religious. Not that I really believe that how we are brought up has an impact on how religious we turn out—but I don’t want to go there. My point is that your observation is factually incorrect. That’s all.

That’s interesting information, thank you.  I was generalizing from my own experience.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 08 March 2012 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 08 March 2012 07:00 AM

Religions may not be consistent, but people are. An African will always be on average more violent than a European no matter what the religious fashion of the day may be.

That is a strong claim.  Do you have data?

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 08 March 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
TimB - 08 March 2012 11:10 AM

And heeeeeere we go…  tongue wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 08 March 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
TimB - 08 March 2012 11:10 AM

Data for what? To show that Africans are more violent than Europeans?

3 of 26