Trolls
Posted: 06 March 2012 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Let’s have a discussion about the recent increase in trolls. I think the mods here do a terrific job. It’s a thankless job. But I am beginning to wonder if maybe they should start being a bit more aggressive in deleting troll posts and accounts. The noise ratio has increased quite a bit recently.

I have no problem with people coming here to express various viewpoints, even those opposed to reason, as long as they are really interested in hashing it out. Recently a couple of Christians came here and did just that. No problem, again as long as they are willing to respond to questions and objections. But guys who come here not to debate or learn but just to paste drivel and leave it at that contribute noting but to waste everyone’s time. 

I’m new here so I’m not trying to push any change. Just open up a discussion about it. What say y’all?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 06 March 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

If you think a particular posting is trolling, you are welcome to report it to the Mods using the “Report” button in the upper right hand corner of the post. But please do so only if you are really sure you’re talking about a troll rather than just an opinion with which you disagree.

Also, have you tried to confront them on the issues already? Has anyone? Over the years we’ve had several drive-by posters who post nonsense, go away for months and then post nonsense again. To an extent, this is harmless behavior: it’s easy to ignore. If something is easy to ignore, or if it gets ignored, it’s not really trollish. But repeated posting in a short period of time becomes more difficult to ignore, and then I think it’s up to people who disagree with the poster to point out issues and try to engage in reasoned discussion.

Generally speaking though we’ve had relatively few real trolls here as a percentage of active users or posts. We try to bend over backwards to allow all reasonable discussions or opinions to remain viable on the site, so behavior has to be pretty blatant and egregious for us to act. I think that’s a good thing.

One last point is that we don’t typically delete troll posts or accounts. (To delete the account would delete the posts). We delete spammers, and on occasion will delete sock-puppets. Trolls we ban.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 07 March 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Thanks for the response, Doug. I guess I’m unusual—I just have very little tolerance for the noise. But I just made an amazing discovery—the “Ignore” button! I already have 2 people on my shit list and suddenly my visits here are fun again.  grin

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 07 March 2012 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
FreeInKy - 07 March 2012 01:26 PM

Thanks for the response, Doug. I guess I’m unusual—I just have very little tolerance for the noise. But I just made an amazing discovery—the “Ignore” button! I already have 2 people on my shit list and suddenly my visits here are fun again.  grin

OK, yeah, that works too. FWIW we’ve banned bross for trolling.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 07 March 2012 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I certainly get annoyed at the drivel some members post, but even the trolls can trigger decent discussions among good members.  (That’s not an excuse for liking or keeping them. smile  )

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 March 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
dougsmith - 07 March 2012 01:28 PM
FreeInKy - 07 March 2012 01:26 PM

OK, yeah, that works too. FWIW we’ve banned bross for trolling.

Well that’s one down and one to go wink

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 12 March 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I should comment, F.I., that they drive me batty, too. It takes a lot of teeth gritting to read through their drivel, but with enough rope they finally get hanged.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

‹‹ Email notification      Incompetence ››