1 of 4
N*A*P Invites Westboro Baptist Church to Reason Rally
Posted: 06 March 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-01-23

The odds are high that the Westboro Baptist Church is likely to attend the Reason Rally, the largest Secular event in history, and the National Atheist Party would like to formally invite them to stop by their booth
425796_3507571493201_1389216608_3393533_1563847647_n.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2579
Joined  2011-04-24

Are you trying to start trouble Catey? tongue wink   That would be a very unique chance to interact with them.

[ Edited: 06 March 2012 08:54 PM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 March 2012 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19

Not sure if this is a good idea, but we’ll have to see.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 06 March 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Sounds like a good idea to me.

smile

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 07 March 2012 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-23

Its sort of a “pick on someone your own size” offer and we wanted to point out that though we may disagree the NAP will never dish out the hatred and ignorance that the Westboro Church does. They need to know that there is a large group of people actively fighting for people’s secular rights.

Signature 

Posted: 10 March 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-10

This was a lot of fun to write. grin

Posted: 12 March 2012 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4615
Joined  2007-10-05

Be careful. Westboro Baptist loves to bait people into attacking them so they can play the victim and sue. If you play this right you can easily make them look like the fools they are. I hope you have someone taking videos.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 12 March 2012 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-23

We have a video team ready to capture all the great moments of the Reason Rally. If you havent read it already check out the article about Westboro accepting the invitation
http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-scranton/westboro-baptist-church-to-attend-reason-rally-with-special-message-for-atheists

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I still think the invitation is a dumb idea. As a Humanist, I won’t back down from confrontation but neither do I invite it needlessly. I think it is telling that @klowanj thought that the invitation was “a lot of fun to write.” A lot better in my opinion would be for a very large group of mature people of all ages to show up and peacefully show their strength in numbers and unity. The Rally to Restore Sanity was such a thing.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 March 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2883
Joined  2011-08-15
[quoteI still think the invitation is a dumb idea. As a Humanist, I won’t back down from confrontation but neither do I invite it needlessly. I think it is telling that @klowanj thought that the invitation was “a lot of fun to write.” A lot better in my opinion would be for a very large group of mature people of all ages to show up and peacefully show their strength in numbers and unity. The Rally to Restore Sanity was such a thing.]

Although it seems to be inviting trouble those functional morons will be there anyway along with the usual howling mob of misguided fundies. I’ve been on the Mall many times (missed the John Stewart rally but a friend and fellow teacher attended), in the past 20 years and everytime i’ve visited there has been a demonstration of some sort. Usually someone approaches with a pamphlet and I wave them away. No one has gotten in my face with their “cause”. BTW the Mall area is very well guarded and the cops mean business. I took my History club there last Spring and they were everywhere, watching. I felt perfectly safe, as I always have when visiting. I think that all you’ll see is a small pack of deluded idiots screaming at the top of their lungs and waving their inflamatory signs. Just pass them by. That pisses them off the most! As I mentioned before, I had to pass through them several times while at Virginia Beach and the locals pretend they’re not there. Besides, there aren’t that many of them. Wish I was going to the rally but can’t make it this time. I hope that there will be another in the future. Definitely be there next time.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 March 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

@thevillageatheist,

Yes, I’ve been to D.C. many times and concur with your observations. My point is not that the NAP is inviting something that would not be there on its own, but that the NAP invitation itself is a needless prod that might prove to be a bad move in the chess game that is politics. As is often the case when kids fight, a strong stance is often, “Well, he started it!”

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2883
Joined  2011-08-15

Yes, I’ve been to D.C. many times and concur with your observations. My point is not that the NAP is inviting something that would not be there on its own, but that the NAP invitation itself is a needless prod that might prove to be a bad move in the chess game that is politics. As is often the case when kids fight, a strong stance is often, “Well, he started it!”

I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad move as anybody who wants to confront them is welcome; it’s an exercise in futility. No one’s going to alter their thinking by reason because they don’t think reasonably. They only respond to emotion. SOOOO, good luck NAP.  rolleyes

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 March 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Well, I was going to agree with traveler, but now that I think about it, this could be good publicity for the NAP. Politics is ugly..

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 13 March 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

The Friendly Atheist weighs in:

While I enjoy counter protesting the insanity of Westboro as much as the next person — hell, my own group has done it on the statehouse grounds in South Carolina — was this really necessary? Did Klawson really think that they needed a personal invite? It seems like he wanted to poke a rattlesnake with a stick. Is he going to be surprised when it bites him?

Full post: Why Was the Westboro Baptist Church *Invited* to the Reason Rally?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 13 March 2012 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

See, everyone’s talking about it already

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 13 March 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Thevillageatheist - 13 March 2012 10:54 AM

I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad move as anybody who wants to confront them is welcome; it’s an exercise in futility. No one’s going to alter their thinking by reason because they don’t think reasonably. They only respond to emotion. SOOOO, good luck NAP.  rolleyes

Cap’t Jack

No, the invite was a bad idea. @Freeinky has a link to the Friendly Atheist in his post that shares my thoughts on it. Unless you think poking a stick at a rattlesnake is a good idea…

Signature 

1 of 4