7 of 17
Guns
Posted: 14 March 2012 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

I agree re competency licensing for anything that is potentially dangerous. When I owned a motorcycle in LA, I learned to give wide berth to a 5000lb vehicle roaring by at 70 mph, driven by someone in a heated discussion on his cell phone.
I find it a little bizarre that when you make a living transporting people (commercial license) the tests and skill requirement for licensing are much more demanding, than for a father driving six screaming kids to a football game. Somehow driving your own family does not seem to require quite as much knowledge of the rules.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 March 2012 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20
DarronS - 14 March 2012 07:21 PM

Yes, guns are violent, but not nearly as violent as car accidents. Have you ever seen two cars hit head-on at 70 mph?

Here is a video of just such a case (WARNING: GRAPHIC! - No blood or body parts, but still…)

http://rmirror.net/r/videos/comments/q5hu9/car_accident_nsfl/

It’s horrible that accidents like these happen, but too many people think that government can somehow magically legislate away all bad things.  They can’t.  Some turn to god, others turn to government.  Both are mistaken.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 15 March 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Rocinante - 15 March 2012 07:26 AM

too many people think that government can somehow magically legislate away all bad things.  They can’t.  Some turn to god, others turn to government.  Both are mistaken.

I know nobody who thinks that “government can somehow magically legislate away all bad things.” That’s a classic red herring.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 15 March 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
traveler - 15 March 2012 07:32 AM

I know nobody who thinks that “government can somehow magically legislate away all bad things.” That’s a classic red herring.

That reminds me of the apocryphal Pauline Kael quote,  “I can’t believe Nixon won. I don’t know anyone who voted for him.”*  Just because you personally don’t know of anyone like this doesn’t make the overall gist of my point untrue.  Any rational person realizes the point I was trying to make even if it was a bit of a caricature.

*Her actual quote was, “I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.”

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 15 March 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Rocinante - 15 March 2012 07:57 AM
traveler - 15 March 2012 07:32 AM

That reminds me of the apocryphal Pauline Kael quote,  “I can’t believe Nixon won. I don’t know anyone who voted for him.”*  Just because you personally don’t know of anyone like this doesn’t make the overall gist of my point untrue.  Any rational person realizes the point I was trying to make even if it was a bit of a caricature.

*Her actual quote was, “I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.”

And just because that reminds you of a quote regarding Nixon does not mean it is false. Obviously I can only (honestly) state my own experience. But thanks for yet another red herring. I guess they can be good eats!

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2012 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Total Posts:  2888
Joined  2011-08-15

“I can’t believe Nixon won. I don’t know anyone who voted for him.”* 

Everyone I knew said exactly the same thing when he won, including me. But once again it’s what part of the culture we surround ourselves with and the same can be said for gun ownership. Our culture not only allows for it’s part of our ecconomic system. Gun sales bring in millions of dollars annually in domestic sales and exports, and is taxable by the Federal Government. With this in mind, banning weapons manufacturing would impact the job market and during an election year that would be bad for any candidate!

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/gun-control-as-economic-stimulus/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 15 March 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Thevillageatheist - 15 March 2012 08:32 AM

Everyone I knew said exactly the same thing when he won, including me. But once again it’s what part of the culture we surround ourselves with and the same can be said for gun ownership. Our culture not only allows for it’s part of our ecconomic system. Gun sales bring in millions of dollars annually in domestic sales and exports, and is taxable by the Federal Government. With this in mind, banning weapons manufacturing would impact the job market and during an election year that would be bad for any candidate!

Cap’t Jack

Wow, millions of dollars.
How about the billions of dollars tax payers pay to cover gunshot injuries? JAMA  cool mad

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 15 March 2012 08:32 AM

Cap’t Jack

I voted for Nixon in ‘72.  McGovern had a reputation as being wishy washy.  He confirmed this to me by dropping Thomas Eagleton from his ticket after saying he would not.  (Having not vetted Eagleton before bringing him on as the VP running mate, it came out that Eagleton had been treated for depression, with ECT).  If McGovern had not dropped Eagleton, after initially saying he wouldn’t, I would probably have voted for him.  Anyway, Nixon, then may have been a more moderate progressive, than Obama is today, since the Rushlimbaughcan party has brought the political center so far to the reactionary right over the past few decades.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 18 March 2012 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

Eric Holder, Obama’s Attorney General, has confessed (when he was U.S. Attorney) his scheme was to “brainwash” people about guns - and use a racist and crackhead to help him do it. 

It’s one of the few times politicians of his ilk are honest.  He doesn’t want to use facts.  He just wants pure 100% emotion to brainwash people on the issue of guns.  Sadly, his efforts have worked too well on many people.

[ Edited: 18 March 2012 06:11 PM by Rocinante ]
 Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 18 March 2012 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Rocinante - 18 March 2012 06:09 PM

Eric Holder, Obama’s Attorney General, has confessed (when he was U.S. Attorney) his scheme was to “brainwash” people about guns - and use a racist and crackhead to help him do it. 

It’s one of the few times politicians of his ilk are honest.  He doesn’t want to use facts.  He just wants pure 100% emotion to brainwash people on the issue of guns.  Sadly, his efforts have worked too well on many people.

I thought everything Holder said was excellent. The comments by the Breitbart fans says a lot as well. I’m only sad that his efforts have not worked well on all.

Edit to remove my BOO BOO! (sorry for the yelling)  tongue wink

[ Edited: 18 March 2012 06:26 PM by traveler ]
 Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

You must not have listened to the entire video, traveler. Holder did say “we want to brainwash people about guns” near the end.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 18 March 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 18 March 2012 06:24 PM

You must not have listened to the entire video, traveler. Holder did say “we want to brainwash people about guns” near the end.

Hmmm, I’ll go listen again and come back…

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2012 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
traveler - 18 March 2012 06:25 PM
DarronS - 18 March 2012 06:24 PM

Hmmm, I’ll go listen again and come back…

OK, my bad! Thanks Darron. I still agree with the message.

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

I agree, traveler. Holder was talking about getting guns out of criminals’ and gang-members’ hands. Bretibart may have taken this video out of context, which would have been his usual MO. The Obama administration has not even hinted at further restricting concealed carry laws or law-abiding citizens owning guns, as far as I know.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 18 March 2012 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
Rocinante - 18 March 2012 06:09 PM

I disagree that his efforts have worked well; most anti gun individuals have never been for guns, and gun lovers are not going to be swayed by the likes of Holder.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

7 of 17