1 of 3
Atheist Billboard Called a Hate Crime…
Posted: 07 March 2012 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

...for quoting the Bible.  rolleyes

http://www.wgal.com/r/30624435/detail.html

There must be some studies on the best way to go about changing people’s minds (to the extent they can even be changed in the first place), or more likely how to have one side at least listen to the other side.  This, apparently, was not the way to do it.  Perhaps be more subtle and make it clear that the groups paying for the billboard did not agree with the quote.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 08 March 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-03-06

Most people don’t take, or have the time to stop and look at a billboard in it’s entirety.  If the message isn’t simple and direct, it will almost certainly be lost and/or misunderstood.  Looking at it here on my laptop, I get it.  Driving by at 50mph?  Not sure that would be the case.  A for effort.  C- for planning.

Signature 

“Integrity has no need of rules”—Albert Camus

Posted: 08 March 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

Reminds me of this:

FREEwifigreatBEERsign.jpg

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 08 March 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-06

Oh that’s just WRONG!!!  mad

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

Here is the actual billboard in question before it was vandalized and removed:

AtheistBillboardSalveryinBible.jpg

Perhaps something along the lines of:

The Bible says slaves should obey their masters.”

That way the large bold words would catch the eye first and then the message could possibly be slipped in.

Then run it as an entire campaign of billboards all around town saying “The Bible says [insert random Bible Absurdity or Atrocity.]”—each one being a different inconvenient and uncomfortable Bible Verse.

But again, I fear people’s compartmentalized thinking still may not allow the idea across to the rational side of their brain.  But perhaps it would plant a seed in the minds of some.

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Rocinante - 08 March 2012 12:33 PM

That way the large bold words would catch the eye first and then the message could possibly be slipped in.

Then run it as an entire campaign of billboards all around town saying “The Bible says [insert random Bible Absurdity or Atrocity.]”—each one being a different inconvenient and uncomfortable Bible Verse.

But again, I fear people’s compartmentalized thinking still may not allow the idea across to the rational side of their brain.  But perhaps it would plant a seed in the minds of some.

I agree, that would have been a better approach.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 08 March 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-06

The chowder heads calling it a ‘hate crime’ are getting all the press, but I think it’s safe to say that this billboard acheived it’s purpose: to promote discussion.  If even one parent is having to honestly explain the meaning of that billboard to their child, I’d say it was worth it.  And when that child takes a civics class and learns about the separation of church and state, maybe it’s that billboard that will come to mind.  One can only hope.

Signature 

Posted: 08 March 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

I can see where the critics of the sign are coming from; and it a sweeping statement to accuse theists of being slave - like.  Theists are not slave - like at all.  The article doesn’t mention it, but I suspect that an atheist billboard in a predominately black area may have simply pissed people off; not only because of the slavery imagery, because Black Americans are often very spiritual/religious, and they often see atheism as a bizzare “white thing”.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 08 March 2012 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22

Geez, yeah, that’s a bit over the top for me.

The problem is that the sign isn’t clear enough visually about it’s own irony.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 10 March 2012 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
mid atlantic - 08 March 2012 06:44 PM

I can see where the critics of the sign are coming from; and it a sweeping statement to accuse theists of being slave - like.

Obviously I can’t speak for those who put the sign up, but I didn’t take it at all to be saying theists were slave-like.  I took it as simply pointing out that the Bible approves and sanctions slavery.  Thus, why would anyone look to it as a great book of moral teachings.

I am under the impression the main reason people got so upset was their kneejerk reaction made them think the sign and its message to be somehow pro-slavery.  A secondary reason would be the cognitive dissonance it evokes in people who know it is true that the Bible is the true pro-slavery work in question.  So rather than face the truth, they lash out and blame the messenger with the hackneyed “hate crime” label.

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 10 March 2012 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
Rocinante - 10 March 2012 05:33 PM
mid atlantic - 08 March 2012 06:44 PM

I can see where the critics of the sign are coming from; and it a sweeping statement to accuse theists of being slave - like.

Obviously I can’t speak for those who put the sign up, but I didn’t take it at all to be saying theists were slave-like.  I took it as simply pointing out that the Bible approves and sanctions slavery.  Thus, why would anyone look to it as a great book of moral teachings.

I am under the impression the main reason people got so upset was their kneejerk reaction made them think the sign and its message to be somehow pro-slavery.  A secondary reason would be the cognitive dissonance it evokes in people who know it is true that the Bible is the true pro-slavery work in question.  So rather than face the truth, they lash out and blame the messenger with the hackneyed “hate crime” label.

I agree that could be true.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 March 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01
Rocinante - 08 March 2012 12:33 PM

Here is the actual billboard in question before it was vandalized and removed:

AtheistBillboardSalveryinBible.jpg

There’s one small change here I’d make. Instead of The Bible says…” put in “God says…”.

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Personally, I don’t like it. I would much rather see atheists/secularists/humanists promoting a positive message about themselves.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

>>Personally, I don’t like it.<<

I’m not cozy with it either, the catch however is that the billboard is not wrong about the consequences of believing certain things which are in the Bible. Believers may not be comfortable with it, but that doesn’t negate the fact that it’s there.

If the “Bible Sez It, I Believe It, That Settles It” crowd wants to run with that, then I don’t see any wrong in pointing out the baggage that goes along with the deal. If they don’t like it, then maybe…just maybe…they need to deal with the fact that they need to rethink their philosophy.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
FreeInKy - 16 March 2012 08:21 AM

Personally, I don’t like it. I would much rather see atheists/secularists/humanists promoting a positive message about themselves.

Exactly! There are already too many haters. We need to show people a positive side just like you say. It seems so basic. How do the PR types keep missing it???

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 March 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01
traveler - 16 March 2012 08:34 AM
FreeInKy - 16 March 2012 08:21 AM

Exactly! There are already too many haters. We need to show people a positive side just like you say. It seems so basic. How do the PR types keep missing it???

I agree in the sense that it really doesn’t accomplish anything. Most religious black people will get nothing out of it other than finding it highly offensive.

1 of 3