2 of 3
Atheist Billboard Called a Hate Crime…
Posted: 16 March 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I doubt they are trying to attract religious people here. What they are after are the closet atheists. Although not all of them will respond positively to the ad, I imagine many will, which is what advertising is all about in the end. No, they are not trying to educate or reeducate the religious.

[ Edited: 16 March 2012 06:21 PM by George ]

Posted: 16 March 2012 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I liked it, other than the grade school graphics, but then again, I am an atheist and read the WHOLE message. I agree the effort should get a C- for getting across the message, but perhaps an A- for getting a dialog started, but I wonder if the people saying ‘Look what those awful atheists have done now’ as they pass around the link, will even take the time to read it to see what it has to say…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28
TromboneAndrew - 08 March 2012 07:57 PM

Geez, yeah, that’s a bit over the top for me.

The problem is that the sign isn’t clear enough visually about it’s own irony.

People driving in Harrisburg, PA don’t do irony.

Posted: 17 March 2012 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09
skuld - 16 March 2012 08:40 PM
TromboneAndrew - 08 March 2012 07:57 PM

The problem is that the sign isn’t clear enough visually about it’s own irony.

People driving in Harrisburg, PA don’t do irony.

As far as I can see, most monotheistic religious folks don’t do irony.

Theflyingsorcerer.

Posted: 17 March 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

I rather like it, because it is being honest about Xianity.  Most black people in the U.S. probably would not be Xian if not for slave owners, in history past, imposing and forcing it on their slave ancestors.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 18 March 2012 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  3194
Joined  2011-08-15

What struck me about the billboard was of course the picture (BTW taken from a photograph) showing the slave collar. In the 1 or 2 seconds that a motorist has to look, that’s all they usually see unless you are stopped, and if the billboard fronted an intestate you wouldn’t have enough time to read the script. My advise, large letters in red or some other primary color with a brief message about the OT. Screw the bible quote, most people don’t read it anyway. How about an angry god pointing his finger at a slave stating “It’s OK with me”!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 March 2012 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 18 March 2012 06:47 AM

What struck me about the billboard was of course the picture (BTW taken from a photograph) showing the slave collar. In the 1 or 2 seconds that a motorist has to look, that’s all they usually see unless you are stopped, and if the billboard fronted an intestate you wouldn’t have enough time to read the script. My advise, large letters in red or some other primary color with a brief message about the OT. Screw the bible quote, most people don’t read it anyway. How about an angry god pointing his finger at a slave stating “It’s OK with me”!

Cap’t Jack

That’s a very good point, Jack. Yes, the picture is probably too upsetting to give the driver enough time to focus on the text.

Posted: 18 March 2012 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3194
Joined  2011-08-15

Believe it or not, I got the idea from a gigantic billboard outside of Charelston, Wv showing the Darwin evolution depiction picture (I have the same one on the back of my car) with a big RED line through it. No text but everyone catches the meaning! This is on interstate 79 as we head to Pittsburg. Also anti Obama signs brought to you by the “friends of coal”. Euchhhh! sick

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 March 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

I suggest multiple billboards all with large block lettering taking up the majority of the sign.  Each sign would be brief, to the point and ask a specific question about something bad in the Bible with a smaller font underneath with passage and verse.  For example:

“Why does the Bible support slavery?” 
—Exodus 21:1-11, Leviticus 25:44, 1 Peter 2:18, Col 3:22, Eph 6:5

“Why does the Bible say you should bash babies against rocks?”
—Hosea 13:16, Psalms 137:9

Every other month, change the signs’ questions.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 18 March 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  6092
Joined  2009-02-26
Rocinante - 18 March 2012 12:45 PM

I suggest multiple billboards all with large block lettering taking up the majority of the sign.  Each sign would be brief, to the point and ask a specific question about something bad in the Bible with a smaller font underneath with passage and verse.  For example:

“Why does the Bible support slavery?” 
—Exodus 21:1-11, Leviticus 25:44, 1 Peter 2:18, Col 3:22, Eph 6:5

“Why does the Bible say you should bash babies against rocks?”
—Hosea 13:16, Psalms 137:9

Every other month, change the signs’ questions.

An excellent suggestion. Force theists to examine their own beliefs!!!

And NO inflammatory pictures or symbols under any circumstance, which allows one to dismiss the question outright as hate speech.

For activists, such questions can be used as bumper stickers or window stickers as well. No drama, just a simple honest question.

[ Edited: 18 March 2012 01:24 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 May 2012 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-05-30

The Bible, God, and Paul (the guy who wrote Colossians) do not condone slavery any more than it/they condones prostitution (which it/they don’t condone) The Bible, God, and Paul do preach perseverance when suffering (ie being enslaved) as a witness of God, the Bible, Christ, etc. Essentially Paul is saying, as I have come to understand it, that if one is a slave to a human master they can be a witness of God’s love by obeying their earthly master. The slave owner surly knows, deep down if not outwardly, that the slave does not wish to be a slave thus the act of obedience serves to both witness to the slave owner and, indirectly, condemn the slave owners actions. The other point that Paul is trying to make is that even in the worst of circumstances one can be free in Christ/God despite their physical situation.

Also, reading a single passage from the Bible, or any book, essay, or speech, for that matter can lead to the wrong conclusion in regards to the authors/speakers intent. The Bible is a deep and complex book understanding it takes patience and devotion.

I am a libertarian (or something similar) and as such I am all for free speech, so while I disagree with the accuracy of the billboard I don’t disagree with the existence of the billboard. This is america, we have the right to be wrong.

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Ransom - 30 May 2012 07:01 PM

The Bible, God, and Paul (the guy who wrote Colossians) do not condone slavery any more than it/they condones prostitution (which it/they don’t condone) The Bible, God, and Paul do preach perseverance when suffering (ie being enslaved) as a witness of God, the Bible, Christ, etc. Essentially Paul is saying, as I have come to understand it, that if one is a slave to a human master they can be a witness of God’s love by obeying their earthly master. The slave owner surly knows, deep down if not outwardly, that the slave does not wish to be a slave thus the act of obedience serves to both witness to the slave owner and, indirectly, condemn the slave owners actions. The other point that Paul is trying to make is that even in the worst of circumstances one can be free in Christ/God despite their physical situation.

Also, reading a single passage from the Bible, or any book, essay, or speech, for that matter can lead to the wrong conclusion in regards to the authors/speakers intent. The Bible is a deep and complex book understanding it takes patience and devotion.

I am a libertarian (or something similar) and as such I am all for free speech, so while I disagree with the accuracy of the billboard I don’t disagree with the existence of the billboard. This is america, we have the right to be wrong.

Where to begin!!

You are a libertarian and support free speech. But when you are a slave, you just have to obediently follow the master’s orders as that will shame the master into setting you free, so you can become a libertarian and exercise your right to free speech.

I saw that sign once, it read “Arbeit macht frei”

[ Edited: 30 May 2012 09:51 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 30 May 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
Ransom - 30 May 2012 07:01 PM

The slave owner surly knows, deep down if not outwardly, that the slave does not wish to be a slave thus the act of obedience serves to both witness to the slave owner and, indirectly, condemn the slave owners actions.

Judging from what we know of history, this does not seem to be the norm for slave owners.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 30 May 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Or bother them much. In fact it took a civil war to convince the the slave owners that slavery was not a very desirable state for the slaves. And I doubt that even now all people are convinced that setting the slaves free was a “just” action.

[ Edited: 30 May 2012 09:57 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 31 May 2012 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I’m really tired hearing how understanding the bible takes patience and devotion.  It’s like saying if you study a text by a 12 century necromancer you can understand modern chemistry.  Sure, if you’re studying medieval sorcery texts you can learn something about how people thought, (or some still think), but the information itself is not going to help you understand molecular theory or teach you how to apply it. 

To even pretend that the bible is some sort of “manual for living” is completely unworkable.  You have to throw away all the parts about stoning witches, raising the dead, and all other miracles, selling off family members, smiting anyone, (including their families and cattle),who annoys you, a bunch of ridiculous quasi scientific statements, and a host of predictions made either by self aggrandizing, manipulators or individuals who were probably insane.  Once you’ve dismissed all that stuff you come out with an obfuscated version of the Golden Rule, something the Christian religion can hardly claim to have originated.

The most useful aspect of the Bible is that it is so incoherent it can be used to justify any position,  including slavery.  It is it’s main function.  I know that the reply to that statement is, “You don’t understand, you haven’t studied the Bible”.  Well, I don’t have to understand Bible, in fact, I doubt anyone can.  It is the person making claims about the Bible’s validity who has to be able to show evidence that the writing within conveys correct, useful information in a way that is accessible to the common individual.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

2 of 3