1 of 2
Who knows whom, or has met whomever?
Posted: 15 March 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01

It’s interesting that for years you can know two people on a forum, but never even having the idea that the two people may actually be related or have ever met each other. I thought it would be interesting if everyone could tell us who’ve you met personally who is on this forum or maybe even who you know as a friend or relative. If so, was the person you met for the first time what you were expecting?

Posted: 15 March 2012 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

That’s a tough question because people may accept each other as forum members but not think much of the person when they meet.  As such, it would be hard to say something like, “Yeah, I went to a CFI conference and met Joe Blow.  He’s a pretty good poster but a real jerk in person.”  LOL

As it is, I’ve met three frequent posters and one occasional poster - one female and three males.  The woman was as enjoyable in person as she is on the forum.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 March 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24

I haven’t met anyone that I know of.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 15 March 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

When I come to think of it. This may actually be one of those things that people aren’t willing to admit. Admitting would almost seem accusing. I can see already that Mid Atlantic is already covering up who he’s met. wink j/k

[ Edited: 15 March 2012 07:07 PM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 15 March 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
ExMachina - 15 March 2012 05:54 PM

It’s interesting that for years you can know two people on a forum, but never even having the idea that the two people may actually be related or have ever met each other. I thought it would be interesting if everyone could tell us who’ve you met personally who is on this forum or maybe even who you know as a friend or relative. If so, was the person you met for the first time what you were expecting?

I met Occam and Brennan in SF. I believe it was last year.  We all had a great time. I wish we all lived closer together, it was a very refreshing evening!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 March 2012 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

The only one I ever met was D.J. Grothe who used to participate from time to time on this forum when he was the guest on PoI. I have been wanting for a long time now to drive down to Buffalo and meet with traveler and Gary, but somehow it never seems to work out for me. One day I will.

Posted: 16 March 2012 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

That would be great George. Yep, I have met GaryTheHuman and yes, he is. I really like him and his wife. I am also thinking of him lately as he has been recently hospitalized but I don’t know his ailment. Wishing him well and a speedy recovery.

I was hoping to meet more at the Reason Rally but it seems nobody here is going (which is fine, I probably wouldn’t travel from CA either). Still, I am going to meet some local atheists (not on this forum) who will be going.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 March 2012 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

The main reason I joined this site was to engage in meaningful conversation and learn from those here who’s academic backgrounds differ from mine. I wasn’t disapointed! I believe that the more permanent of us here are sincere in not only displaying their knowledge, but have the ability to engage in lively debate without too much emotion! everyone tries to stay within the boundries of civility but sometimes it does get spicy! We’re only human after all. I can’t tell you how much I’ve enjoyed the discussions here, even from the Tekkies (who’s depth of technical knowledge I greatly admire but am totally baffled by ex. the towers discussion) and am a sideliner at those posts. I have never met anyone here and Free is the closest person to me who shares my cultural background. I’d like the opportunity to meet everyone someday, if nothing else just to put a face with a mind. Meantime, my library is growing thanks to many of you.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I’m so new here, I never have really had a chance to cross paths with anyone else. I would like to thank Traveler for telling me about this place when I was trying to find like-minded folks on another forum that was pretty much dead. Finding y’all was one of the best things that happened to me in 2011.

It might be fun to try scheduling a meetup sometime, at least for those of us in North America. Does anyone have a sense of where the “geographical center” might be for the majority of us?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 16 March 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

So far, I’ve met Asanta And Occam, and Doug, all of who were just as enjoyable in person as here!

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 16 March 2012 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Well put, Brennen.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 March 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
FreeInKy - 16 March 2012 08:18 AM

I’m so new here, I never have really had a chance to cross paths with anyone else. I would like to thank Traveler for telling me about this place when I was trying to find like-minded folks on another forum that was pretty much dead. Finding y’all was one of the best things that happened to me in 2011.

It might be fun to try scheduling a meetup sometime, at least for those of us in North America. Does anyone have a sense of where the “geographical center” might be for the majority of us?

Hard to say, as we’re pretty spread out.  The New York metro area would probably be an ok rendezvou point for us in the north east, although that might be too far for you and Capt. Jack.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 17 March 2012 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 16 March 2012 08:33 PM

Hard to say, as we’re pretty spread out.  The New York metro area would probably be an ok rendezvou point for us in the north east, although that might be too far for you and Capt. Jack.

I thought DC (Reason Rally) might be good.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2012 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes, I had a great time meeting Brennen several years back. I’ve met several people from CFI and DJ a few times while he was with the organization.

I could probably do something in NYC; the Reason Rally is looking like less of a possibility though.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 March 2012 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
mid atlantic - 16 March 2012 08:33 PM

Make it Las Vegas and people will go out of their way to get there wink

There is a lot of history between a lot of members here, and it would be a shame if some people here would never have the chance to meet those who they enjoy discussions with on these forums. I personally haven’t been on this forum long enough to really know anyone, and even though I my viewpoints aren’t popular on various issues, I still respect the opinions of many people here. So being that, I’d still enjoy meeting many of the people here.

[ Edited: 17 March 2012 07:04 AM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 17 March 2012 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
ExMachina - 17 March 2012 06:40 AM

Make it Las Vegas and people will go out of their way to get there wink

FWIW, I can’t stand Las Vegas. It is nothing like TV makes it look. I found mostly old fat smokers and a plastic circus ambiance. But that’s just me.

Signature 

1 of 2