I am a 40 something skeptic
Posted: 17 March 2012 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-03-14

Good day and “Hi”.  grin

I am quite simply someone who questions. A skeptic if you will. Always have been. The world around us is an interesting place to be sure, but also one that is sometimes taken too seriously and sometimes not seriously enough. People place thier faith in things which do not entirely make sense, or sometimes are outright lies. An intersting world indeed.
My work of the last twenty or so years is science based (orthotist) and I use some of my free time to inquire on things that do not make sense to me. I do not like to see people get taken advantage of and all too often it is the very thing I see. Particularly where the elderly and handicapped are concerned. They are easy targets for the devious minded out there. They ask me questions in my clinic sometimes about things others have said or done and it is sometimes astounding. So, I try to find out more for them, and learn something for myself at the same time. I like to see all sides before I make up my mind about something.

I see many of you here are well placed to aid those who “search”.

One of my favourite lines regarding venality is the television commercial that at the end says “Change your TV, change your life”.  rolleyes  As Charlie Brown would say “Good grief”

Advertizers are sometimes the worst offenders. Also in those ranks are those that cook the numbers on studies to show a certain outcome, certain alt med practices, banking practices, well, the list is long as you all I’m sure are quite aware. It does lend itself to asking a lot of questions that sometimes do not have satisfactory answers.

My feeling is a simple one as to the driving forces behind where some of this comes from. Human psyche. There are so many variables out there regarding depth of depravity, greed, larceny, etc…and I think each falls into different levels or categories of psychosis. From the very mild to the very severe. Look at Bernie Madoff for instance. No remorse, no sense of consequence. That is what I’m getting at. With these people out there and some of them in highly trusted positions we need to keep an eye out. They are very devious and very smart. There are people like this in all walks of society. I think sometimes it is this type of personality that is behind some of the decisions that get made or the action that takes place that makes you go “how on earth could someone do that?” well, without sense of consequence one is capable of almost anything. A particularly troublesome thing when they are involved in government or running a country as in the case of what we have been watching in North Africa among others.

Anyway do not want to ramble.

Thanks.

Posted: 17 March 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, Orthican.  And thanks for introducing me to a new word - orthotist. 

I think you’ll enjoy participating in the discussions here.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 March 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Orthican.  Glad to have you here.  I think you will enjoy it here, so right in and join us.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 17 March 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4618
Joined  2007-10-05

Welcome. Glad to have you here. And echoing Occam, thanks for expanding my vocabulary.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 18 March 2012 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Excellent, orthican, let me add my greetings to the others in this thread. Welcome to the CFI Forum!

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 March 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-03-14

Thankyou for the greetings.