2 of 3
The Pope…
Posted: 30 March 2012 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4850
Joined  2007-10-05
missmac - 29 March 2012 11:50 PM

look at the photos…..........

is it just me or do I see no difference in what they are wearing?

- flamboyant clothing
- over stated - status bearing head piece (I thought crowns were for royalty)
- ridiculously expensive and customized accessory
- too many pieces of jewelry

POPE VS FLAVA FLAV

The Pope needs some Elton John sunglasses to complete that outfit.  cheese

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 30 March 2012 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3216
Joined  2011-08-15

Picture the scene,the pontiff steps out onto the balcony, the breathless crowd bows its collective heads and through the microphone Benedict screams “pope a pope”!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 30 March 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 19 March 2012 04:39 AM

Whenever we visit churches in Europe I always marvel at the gold, silver and jeweled loot they have on display in their vaults. Not sure what it has to do with Jesus’s teachings ...

BTW, what’s this about the perfume? Do you mean patented or copyrighted?

Doug, I’m not sure of the difference, but I know he commissioned the creation of a perfume which could only be worn only by him. I’m not sure what that has to do with Jesus’ teachings either..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 March 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15405
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 30 March 2012 04:12 PM

Doug, I’m not sure of the difference, but I know he commissioned the creation of a perfume which could only be worn only by him.

Weird. So like the Vatican Guard would come and arrest you if you smelled like the Pope? LOL

I’m not sure what that has to do with Jesus’ teachings either.

Yep, that’s a stretch.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 30 March 2012 04:58 PM

Doug, I’m not sure of the difference, but I know he commissioned the creation of a perfume which could only be worn only by him.

Weird. So like the Vatican Guard would come and arrest you if you smelled like the Pope? LOL

I’m not sure what that has to do with Jesus’ teachings either.

Yep, that’s a stretch.

Not sure, I think he wants a one off, never to be reproduced scent. Not sure what he could do about the millions of people who would be wearing cheap knockoff reproductions though. But then again, who would want to smell like ‘very old man’? OTOH, think of how many of his impoverished flocks could be fed using the money wasted on creating and producing this scent for one overly privileged creep.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 30 March 2012 05:08 PM

Not sure, I think he wants a one off, never to be reproduced scent. Not sure what he could do about the millions of people who would be wearing cheap knockoff reproductions though. But then again, who would want to smell like ‘very old man’? OTOH, think of how many of his impoverished flocks could be fed using the money wasted on creating and producing this scent for one overly privileged creep.

While he’s at it he should come out with a line of luggage. Pretty soon he’ll be giving Louis Vuitton a run for their money.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 30 March 2012 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 30 March 2012 05:24 PM

While he’s at it he should come out with a line of luggage. Pretty soon he’ll be giving Louis Vuitton a run for their money.

I’m surprised he hasn’t commissioned special Prada shoes or Tag Heuer watches….maybe he does, and they were able to do a better job of keeping it under wrap.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2012 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
asanta - 30 March 2012 07:32 PM
dougsmith - 30 March 2012 05:24 PM

I’m surprised he hasn’t commissioned special Prada shoes or Tag Heuer watches….maybe he does, and they were able to do a better job of keeping it under wrap.

Hey, my wife gave me a Tag Heuer!  wink

But wait, I don’t claim not to be materialistic. Stupid pope.  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 31 March 2012 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  2220
Joined  2007-04-26

We took a tour of the vatican a few years ago when we went to Italy and the sheer volume of valuable art work and artifacts just in the public areas was mind boggling. I don’t know if anyone has ever estimated its worth but it has to be in the billions if not entirely priceless. It really is the height of hypocrisy for a church that owns so much wealth to confront others on materialism.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 01 April 2012 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20
George - 19 March 2012 05:03 AM

I never understood that either. Doesn’t the Bible say quite explicitly that rich men can’t get to heaven?

Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Luke 16:13)

and

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God (Mark 10:25)

Though the pope and his minions do take vows of poverty and chastity, but we know how well the last one works out!

[ Edited: 02 April 2012 11:19 AM by TeachScience ]
 Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 01 April 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

The loophole is that he doesn’t personally own the stuff.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  542
Joined  2007-09-29
dougsmith - 19 March 2012 04:39 AM

Whenever we visit churches in Europe I always marvel at the gold, silver and jeweled loot they have on display in their vaults. . . .

Those are not fungible; they are artefacts, and only a rabid anti-theist (present company excepted), or an iconoclast in the technical sense, would desire them to be broken up or melted down. Or sold or just handed over to a secular museum: the cathedrals and churches themselves are now artefacts. (Where else would a triptych naturally be displayed but above an altar?)

Even if not relics, they are works of art, and at least records of history. Whatever they originally were (one thinks of St Mark’s, Venice), they are not now in any real sense ‘loot’.

Catholic parishes in fact are rarely in the black.

Andrew Greeley notes (somewhere) that the fabulous wealth of the Catholic Church, at least nowadays, is indeed a fable: nobody in any housing market is clamoring for a lot of heavily used Renaissance buildings, with multiple and severe structural, drainage and electrical problems to be fixed at ruinous expense.

[ Edited: 05 April 2012 12:24 PM by inthegobi ]

Posted: 05 April 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

It would be nice if all of the great cathedrals could be put out of business (and I mean business) and reopened as museums to show how much material wealth went into mythology. Then, I would go to church.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

I pretty much agree, those cathedrals, icons, ect. are interesting and beautiful for their own sake.  Most of their designers were probably motivated by avarice and ego anyway, rather than spirituality.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 April 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
inthegobi - 05 April 2012 12:20 PM

Even if not relics, they are works of art, and at least records of history. Whatever they originally were (one thinks of St Mark’s, Venice), they are not now in any real sense ‘loot’.

Well ... I believe a significant percentage of the gold that went into the Catholic Church in Europe came from the melted down works of art of the native cultures in the Americas. So it is loot, at least in part. (One may split hairs and claim that the Church itself didn’t steal that loot, but it is clear that the loot was stolen for the benefit of the Church). Though of course in destroying native works of art, the metal has been transformed into other forms of art or history.

inthegobi - 05 April 2012 12:20 PM

Andrew Greeley notes (somewhere) that the fabulous wealth of the Catholic Church, at least nowadays, is indeed a fable: nobody in any housing market is clamoring for a lot of heavily used Renaissance buildings, with multiple and severe structural, drainage and electrical problems to be fixed at ruinous expense.

This sounds to me like apologetics. See, e.g., HERE, the Catholic Church is the third largest landowner on Earth, with significant ownership of extremely valuable real estate in (virtually?) all major western cities. While such real estate wealth isn’t easily fungible, it is very great indeed. The value of the buildings is immaterial; write it down to zero if you like.

Signature 

Doug

2 of 3