2 of 2
Jonathan Haidt - The Righteous Mind
Posted: 04 June 2012 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-03-18

Hi Swag
Allow me to address the question of nihilism for the exbeliever.  I’ll try to be brief.  Moving from belief to specific disbelief you correctly state removes a lot of values, but I will argue, from my own experience, that’s its only temporary.  Like me AFAICT you have metaphorically put out the trash and the house is pretty empty.  Time to buy new furniture; first rule is avoid harm to self and family and further on out into society.  This makes some type of morality a necessity, and it is not going to look like the one with religious clothes on.  Look inside yourself, you will not be suddenly inclined to murder lie and steal, but now you need to underpin that inclination with moral theory.  I am going to suppose you have a standard measure of ordinary human decency inside you, and that makes you not a criminal if we observe your behaviour long enough.  Nobody’s perfect and such as society functions it’s not necessary to be.  We co-operate just enough to survive.  We are like that by virtue of arriving here a successful thriving species, more or less.  That we are short sighted and are endangering our long term viability I will hold back on for now.  Really that’s it in a nutshell, try to survive while remaining a decent human being, true to yourself.  It is a workable system of morality IMHO.  And watch the drugs they wreck plans and intentions. Peace.

Posted: 26 October 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2012-10-26

Sorry for coming late to this thread. I’ve planned to buy the book
but hesitate due to me European and the politics in USoA seems
very American to many of us. But his book is supposed to be
very general too in that these moral motivators seems to exist
all over the world?

1. Is it a book you recommend? Do you agree with his science?
2. Does there exist other books with same theme
that you think is better science?

Posted: 04 November 2012 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2012-10-26

Would be cool if somebody that have read the book told about their personal take on it.

2 of 2