1 of 14
The Historical Jesus
Posted: 20 March 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2008-11-10

Bart Ehrman’s new book “Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth” is out today.  Everyone knows that no university will hire Robert M. Price to teach religion.  Now it will be nice to see why.

Posted: 20 March 2012 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3091
Joined  2011-08-15

Interesting. I’ll definitely add it to my reading list. I read his last book and bought a hard copy for future study. I want to see how his thesis matches with other jesus scholars like Crossan and the Jesus Seminar.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 March 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15354
Joined  2006-02-14

Should be a very good book, Ehrman’s great.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 March 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2008-11-10

Ehrman proves JESUS EXISTED!

Ehrman’s argument is air tight.  He destroys the whole field of mythicists (Robert Price, G.A. Wells, Earl Doherty, Acharya S, Timothy Freke, etc.).

Thank God the Christ Myth theory is finally dead.  What a bunch of garbage.

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t think I am going to read it, so if anyone can tell me what evidence there is for Jesus’s existence I would like to hear it. BTW, John, did you finish Ehrman’s book in one night?

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Never mind. I just read about Erhman’s new book on Coyne’s blog, which includes Erhman’s article from the Huffington Post. I thought it all sounded good, until I read the comment #20 on Coyne’s site from somebody called Ben Goren who seems to refute everything Erhman presents as the evidence for Jesus’s existence in the HuffPo article. Sounds good as well.

I guess I’ll stick to my old “Jesus may have existed” for now…

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15354
Joined  2006-02-14

I haven’t read the book yet so can’t speak to the specifics, but given the tone and style of #20, he reads like a complete jerk rather than anyone I would seriously. Further, he implies that Ehrman is Christian. (He labels a lot of stuff Christian apologetics). Ehrman is a non-Christian agnostic, as well as one of the best and most serious scholars of early Christianity.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 March 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3091
Joined  2011-08-15

Haven’t read the book yet but do respect Erhman’s conclusions as he is a noted bible scholar. Even if has proven that jesus existed. So what? Most legends have a grain of truth but that doean’t mean that he walked on water, healed the sick and was yawweh’s kid. BTW there was more than one jesus living then. I will read the book though as it’s of historical interest to me.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 March 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Even if has proven that jesus existed. So what?

My sentiments exactly. If the man existed, it hardly proves that he was what his later advocates and followers claimed he was.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

David Fitzgerald’s Nailed has the opposite conclusion.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 March 2012 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  943
Joined  2005-01-14
john76 - 21 March 2012 05:51 AM

Ehrman’s argument is air tight.  He destroys the whole field of mythicists (Robert Price, G.A. Wells, Earl Doherty, Acharya S, Timothy Freke, etc.).

Not so fast, John!  I’m no Biblical scholar, far from it.  But my feeling is that the Myth of Jesus was probably based on an actual person, who went around doing “miracles”, got arrested by the Romans and executed for some reason.  Not having read this book (but having read Ehrman’s previous book, “Misquoting Jesus”), I would guess that’s probably what he’s saying too.

Posted: 23 March 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Should be a great read. Ehrman’s Misquoting Jesus was one of the first skeptical books I read back when I was still a Christian but starting to seriously doubt. His credentials and his honest, accessible approach makes it easy for non-scholars to understand not only what we know but how we know it. I later read Jesus Interrupted and found it just as compelling.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 23 March 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  542
Joined  2007-09-29
asanta - 21 March 2012 06:46 PM

David Fitzgerald’s Nailed has the opposite conclusion.

Which conclusion is ground into the dust by the (atheist) historian of Armarium Magnum: http://armariummagnus.blogspot.com/2011/05/nailed-ten-christian-myths-that-show.html

Correction: the book is ground into the dust by the reviewer, although he has no truck with the conclusion either.

[ Edited: 24 March 2012 08:43 AM by inthegobi ]

Posted: 26 March 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2012-02-18

Been reading some interesting reviews on this…

http://vridar.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/bart-ehrmans-first-attempt-to-grapple-with-mythicism/#more-26501

Posted: 26 March 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  6010
Joined  2009-02-26
john76 - 21 March 2012 05:51 AM

To me it makes no difference if Christ actually existed?  If he did, good, he was a philosopher who taught morality. But it does not prove anything about the biblical myths that surround him.
One fact is abundantly clear, he was not conceived of a “physical” virgin. Else he’d be a clone of Mary.

Below is picture of a true virgin, conceived by a virgin and a perfect clone of its mother.

[ Edited: 26 March 2012 04:58 PM by Write4U ]
Image Attachments
selfcloning lizard.jpg
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 26 March 2012 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1121
Joined  2009-10-21

Let’s not forget that one of Ehrman’s big themes is how parts of the Bible are forged, much of it is mistranslated and has been altered over time. I’m sure that hasn’t changed. Saying that there was a person that the gospels are based on does not change that. Obviously, saying “Jesus existed” is far from “the resurrection saved my soul”. I would be glad to have more evidence to put some of the mythicist stuff to rest. I don’t think it is good for skeptics to be backing stories that lack evidence. Ehrman is the perfect person to sort this out.

1 of 14