What Really Causes Heart Disease
Posted: 22 March 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

This isn’t alternate medicine, merely medicine.

http://www.laleva.org/eng/2012/03/world_renown_heart_surgeon_speaks_out_on_what_really_causes_heart_disease.html#.T2DjxxIado8.facebook

What I read in this article jives for me, but I wanted to run it by some other critical thinker just to be sure.

I trained for many years with other prominent physicians labelled “opinion makers.” Bombarded with scientific literature, continually attending education seminars, we opinion makers insisted heart disease resulted from the simple fact of elevated blood cholesterol.
The only accepted therapy was prescribing medications to lower cholesterol and a diet that severely restricted fat intake. The latter of course we insisted would lower cholesterol and heart disease. Deviations from these recommendations were considered heresy and could quite possibly result in malpractice.

It Is Not Working!

These recommendations are no longer scientifically or morally defensible. The discovery a few years ago that inflammation in the artery wall is the real cause of heart disease is slowly leading to a paradigm shift in how heart disease and other chronic ailments will be treated.
The long-established dietary recommendations have created epidemics of obesity and diabetes, the consequences of which dwarf any historical plague in terms of mortality, human suffering and dire economic consequences.
Despite the fact that 25% of the population takes expensive statin medications and despite the fact we have reduced the fat content of our diets, more Americans will die this year of heart disease than ever before.

and so on.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 22 March 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7661
Joined  2008-04-11

You have to realize that a bigger reason why so many ‘more’ people are dying from heart disease, is because they are no longer dying of the other illnesses that would have killed them in the past. It is the same with cancers. While there are more diagnoses than ever before, people are now living to the age where people get cancers (and heart disease), both conditions of older age. We did not have the luxury 100 years ago. You have to put things into perspective…

(ps I DO believe the inflammation theory…)

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 22 March 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2631
Joined  2011-04-24

Yes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer are the price we pay for living 70+ years; the ultimate cause of C.V disease however, is time combined with a persons genome.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 March 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2134
Joined  2007-04-26

I havent read the entire story but the remarks are extremist and semi-inaccurate statements.

1) No one ever said cholesterol was THE cause of heart disease. It has been considered and important risk factor but only one of several. The efforts to reduce cholesterol were never meant to cure heart disease. they were meant to reduce risk.

2) Efforts to reduce cholesterol likely have nothing to do with the obesity epidemic especially because most people dont follow these recommendations. It has a lot more to do with the availability and promotion of cheap high calorie, fat , sugar, and salt rich foods.

3) Inflammation does play an important role in causing heart disease and the process is a complex one. The short quote fails to mention the fact that cholesterol plays an important role in promoting arterial wall inflammation. The discovery of inflammation as an step in the process does not diminish the importance of cholesterol it merely sheds light on the mechanism by which cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes and other agents contribute to the process.

For anyone who has an iPad, iPhone or iPod, I recently put together a short ebook for my patients on the subject of cholesterol that can be downloaded HERE. Theres a PDF version for everyone else.

Here’s an interesting VIDEO also. Not completely objective since its pharma produced but the facts are mostly accurate. Its an animation depicting the steps in plaque formation.

[ Edited: 22 March 2012 07:18 PM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 22 March 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

I read about an interesting theory the other day: heart disease being caused by a pathogen. They are suspecting the same bacterium that causes pheumonia and bronchitis.

Have you heard about this, macgyver?

Posted: 22 March 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7661
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 22 March 2012 07:50 PM

I read about an interesting theory the other day: heart disease being caused by a pathogen. They are suspecting the same bacterium that causes pheumonia and bronchitis.

I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ve seen many cases of heart failure we know were caused by viral infections. Strep is also known to cause heart damage. People with poor dentition are more likely to have cardiac disease thought to be caused by bacteria migrating from the mouth.  Heart disease is usually multifactorial, there is rarely only one cause.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 March 2012 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
George - 22 March 2012 07:50 PM

You’re most likely referring to Chlamydia Pneumoniae ( not the STD which is Chlamydia trachomatis) or TWAR. Its a bacteria that is known to cause several illnesses including pneumonia but it has been implicated as as a risk factor in heart disease although a direct causal relationship has not been proven.

Here’s a link:  http://www.annals.org/content/116/4/273.short

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 23 March 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yeah, I know the evidence is weak. Nevertheless, I think the possibility of germ theory sounds as interesting here as it does in other diseases, such as schizophrenia, autism or even homosexuality. But I guess just because it showed to be true that virus is causing the peptic ulcer, it doesn’t mean that other diseases have to follow in similar footsteps.

Posted: 23 March 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
macgyver - 22 March 2012 06:44 PM

I havent read the entire story but the remarks are extremist and semi-inaccurate statements.

1) No one ever said cholesterol was THE cause of heart disease. It has been considered and important risk factor but only one of several. The efforts to reduce cholesterol were never meant to cure heart disease. they were meant to reduce risk.

2) Efforts to reduce cholesterol likely have nothing to do with the obesity epidemic especially because most people dont follow these recommendations. It has a lot more to do with the availability and promotion of cheap high calorie, fat , sugar, and salt rich foods.

3) Inflammation does play an important role in causing heart disease and the process is a complex one. The short quote fails to mention the fact that cholesterol plays an important role in promoting arterial wall inflammation. The discovery of inflammation as an step in the process does not diminish the importance of cholesterol it merely sheds light on the mechanism by which cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes and other agents contribute to the process.

For anyone who has an iPad, iPhone or iPod, I recently put together a short ebook for my patients on the subject of cholesterol that can be downloaded HERE. Theres a PDF version for everyone else.

Here’s an interesting VIDEO also. Not completely objective since its pharma produced but the facts are mostly accurate. Its an animation depicting the steps in plaque formation.

The tone of the article did seem a bit over-the-top, hence my asking for opinions from those more knowledgeable than I. Thank you for the information!

smile

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 23 March 2012 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-04-26
George - 23 March 2012 09:40 AM

Yeah, I know the evidence is weak. Nevertheless, I think the possibility of germ theory sounds as interesting here as it does in other diseases, such as schizophrenia, autism or even homosexuality. But I guess just because it showed to be true that virus is causing the peptic ulcer, it doesn’t mean that other diseases have to follow in similar footsteps.

It is interesting but we shouldnt automatically accept such a theory simply because a similar one was found to have merit. They are very different diseases. More research obviously needs to be done before we will know if there is anything to this.

P.S. - Peptic Ulcers are often caused by Helicobacter Pylori Which is a bacterium not a virus. I was doing some research on this recently and found some evidence that people who dont have H.pylori are at higher risk of asthma and allergies. So dont be so quick to get rid of your little H.pylori buddies unless there is a good reason smile The true story about viruses , bacteria , and human health is far more complex than we know.

Signature 

Posted: 23 March 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

What, what, what???? big surprise  George, what do you mean by suggesting that bacteria could cause homosexuality when you know very well it’s entirely genetics. LOL LOL LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 March 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 23 March 2012 11:07 AM

What, what, what???? big surprise  George, what do you mean by suggesting that bacteria could cause homosexuality when you know very well it’s entirely genetics. LOL LOL LOL

Occam

question

What the heck are you talking about, Occam? Although both twins are more likely to be gay than when compared with fraternal siblings, it doesn’t happen in 100% of the cases. I would certainly never claim anything as stupid as that homosexuality is “entirely genetics.” (Whatever that means anyway.)

Posted: 24 March 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting George:

I think the possibility of germ theory sounds as interesting here as it does in other diseases, such as schizophrenia, autism or even homosexuality.

Come on, George.  You know I was teasing.  Yes, I probably shouldn’t have exaggerated by using “entirely”, however, you have posited that genetics play a strong role in homosexuality.  Since the quotation above seems to indicate that you may feel that there’s a bacterial factor in homosexuallity, I couldn’t help kidding you about the dichotomy and possible bit of cognitive dissonance.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.