Unhealthy Alms
Posted: 22 March 2012 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2696
Joined  2011-04-24

I thought this was extreme http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2012/03/20/nyc-mayor-bloomberg-bans-food-donations-to-homeless-shelters/

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 March 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
mid atlantic - 22 March 2012 06:26 PM

I thought this was extreme http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2012/03/20/nyc-mayor-bloomberg-bans-food-donations-to-homeless-shelters/

Dunno but the update at the bottom says there was no change in policy. I know there’s generally been issues with publicly providing food that has not been properly vetted for safety and nutrition. That’s why it’s strictly illegal to go onto the street and sell food without a license. It may seem counterintuitive but the reason is simple: to avoid food poisoning. (They claim it’s an issue of nutrition; not sure if that’s true or not).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 March 2012 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2696
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 22 March 2012 06:29 PM
mid atlantic - 22 March 2012 06:26 PM

Dunno but the update at the bottom says there was no change in policy. I know there’s generally been issues with publicly providing food that has not been properly vetted for safety and nutrition. That’s why it’s strictly illegal to go onto the street and sell food without a license. It may seem counterintuitive but the reason is simple: to avoid food poisoning. (They claim it’s an issue of nutrition; not sure if that’s true or not).

Probably not true about the nutrition claim.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 March 2012 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

And they’re probably afraid to mention things like food poisoning because there are enough kooks out that that it would give them the idea to purposely do so.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 March 2012 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3187
Joined  2011-08-15

And they’re probably afraid to mention things like food poisoning because there are enough kooks out that that it would give them the idea to purposely do so

Not forgetting of course the razor blade in the candy urban legend or the cyanide in the Tylenol. The fear factor raises a lot of questions about food donations. Perhaps there is some way of inspecting or testing the food before distribution. Hmmm, mayor, job opportunities abound here.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 September 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-09-13

Not really sure if this is funny but alms was before offered to monks. Not sure with the reason behind this.