1 of 2
The Ethical Carnivore: contest in the NY Times
Posted: 25 March 2012 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

“Tell us why it’s ethical to eat meat”
6.jpg
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/magazine/tell-us-why-its-ethical-to-eat-meat-a-contest.html

Rules: This is a very specific contest. Don’t tell us why you like meat, why organic trumps local or why your food is yours to choose. Just tell us why it’s ethical to eat meat.

Guidelines: Send written entries of no more than 600 words to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Entries are due by April 8; no late submissions will be considered.

The Prize: The best essay or essays will be published in an upcoming issue of The New York Times.

As of 7:25pm, there are 552 online comments on the website above—if you have the winning essay, you may want it printed with a pseudonym smile 

The judges are indeed

some of the most influential thinkers to question or condemn the eating of meat

and include Free Inquiry’s Peter Singer

Posted: 26 March 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Hm, ethical? It seems the best you can do is to argue that it is not an ethical question. I don’t see how eating meat can be “morally good”, if that’s what they’re asking.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 26 March 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I think we are almost at that point where trying to argue that eating meat is ethical is beginning to sound as unreasonable as claiming that smoking is cool.

Posted: 26 March 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Maybe I’m missing the point, but I don’t think anyone is claiming that eating meat is ethical as a positive statement, as in it is something everyone should strive to do. I think the idea is to show that it is not unethical.

Setting aside issues of how we grow and process meat, I would be hard-pressed to agree with anyone claiming it to be unethical. Comparing it to smoking is just silly.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 26 March 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, I wasn’t comparing smoking with eating meat per se, but rather the type of reasoning to help us come up with an argument to justify either of them. Smoking is dangerous and eating meat hurts animals no matter what kind of an excuse we can think of to help us feel that it may be okay to do it.

[ Edited: 26 March 2012 12:54 PM by George ]

Posted: 26 March 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 26 March 2012 12:41 PM

Well, I wasn’t comparing smoking with eating meat per se, but rather the type of reasoning to help us come up with an argument to justify either of them. Smoking is dangerous and eating meat hurts animals no matter what kind of an excuse we can think of to help us feel that it may be okay to do it.

I think that’s true - the difference being that smokers (primarily) hurt themselves, save the increased healthcare costs we all pay. Most of us seem not to care that we cause so much pain to non-humans. I’m with Singer on this one.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 26 March 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I know smoking is not the topic here, but I think I pay enough in taxes on cigarettes to afford to get sick one day and not having to feel guilty about it.  mad

Posted: 26 March 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 26 March 2012 02:48 PM

I know smoking is not the topic here, but I think I pay enough in taxes on cigarettes to afford to get sick one day and not having to feel guilty about it.  mad

Occasional days off aren’t what I was referring to. LINK  cool mad

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 26 March 2012 02:52 PM

Neither was I.

Posted: 26 March 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
FreeInKy - 26 March 2012 11:36 AM

Maybe I’m missing the point, but I don’t think anyone is claiming that eating meat is ethical as a positive statement, as in it is something everyone should strive to do. I think the idea is to show that it is not unethical.

Is there a difference between “not unethical” and “not an ethical question”? I couldn’t think of an example

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 26 March 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  6135
Joined  2009-02-26

To eat a balanced diet is ethical. If that balanced diet consists of fruits, vegetables, fish, and meat, it is ethical. We have been hunter gatherers since the beginning of our species and meat has been part of our diet since. In fact a case can be made that meat was a part of our evolution into homo sapiens and therefore the argument cannot be based on ethics at all.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 26 March 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3215
Joined  2011-08-15

I agree with Write. A balanced diet for humans consists of meat and or fish for protein. As to ethical behavior, those farms in which animals are warehoused should be eliminated. The biggest problem we face is in the cattle industry where a great deal of land is needed and grain to feed them. Also, if I’m not mistaken the methane problem is adding to global warming. As to smoking, there is no second hand cheeseburger I have to worry about at Mcfatties. Smokers have areas in which to enjoy their nicotine as long as it’s away from me and mine. Personally I’d like to see smoking go the way of the dinosaur but that’s in the future. Banning it would be a real problem (see prohibition).

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 26 March 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 26 March 2012 03:39 PM

Neither was I.

Sorry, that’s how I interpreted getting “sick one day.” My bad I suppose, but I’m still confused.

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2012 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
domokato - 26 March 2012 03:47 PM
FreeInKy - 26 March 2012 11:36 AM

Is there a difference between “not unethical” and “not an ethical question”? I couldn’t think of an example

I suppose you’re right.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 26 March 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 26 March 2012 04:41 PM
George - 26 March 2012 03:39 PM

Neither was I.

Sorry, that’s how I interpreted getting “sick one day.” My bad I suppose, but I’m still confused.

What I meant was that the tax money I spend on cigarettes should be enough to cover the treatment of my lung cancer.

Posted: 26 March 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 26 March 2012 05:00 PM

What I meant was that the tax money I spend on cigarettes should be enough to cover the treatment of my lung cancer.

Well, I hope that doesn’t happen, but according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention your taxes are not nearly enough. LINK

(nothing to do with carnivores, however)

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ Unhealthy Alms      A Moral Conundrum ››