2 of 2
The Ethical Carnivore: contest in the NY Times
Posted: 26 March 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 26 March 2012 05:34 PM
George - 26 March 2012 05:00 PM

What I meant was that the tax money I spend on cigarettes should be enough to cover the treatment of my lung cancer.

Well, I hope that doesn’t happen, but according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention your taxes are not nearly enough. LINK

(nothing to do with carnivores, however)

Hmm, strange. These days when I buy cigarettes in the U.S. I pay around $8 per pack. According to Wiki 56% of that price goes to the government. Let’s say $4. If I were to smoke one pack per day for forty years, the government would receive around $60,000. I thought that should be enough for a bypass or to treat a lung cancer. Maybe I am wrong.

Posted: 26 March 2012 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2709
Joined  2011-04-24

Ethics and eating don’t mix. cool smirk

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 26 March 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  6158
Joined  2009-02-26
mid atlantic - 26 March 2012 09:00 PM

Ethics and eating don’t mix. cool smirk

Unless it is too much…. cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 March 2012 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 26 March 2012 05:55 PM
traveler - 26 March 2012 05:34 PM
George - 26 March 2012 05:00 PM

What I meant was that the tax money I spend on cigarettes should be enough to cover the treatment of my lung cancer.

Well, I hope that doesn’t happen, but according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention your taxes are not nearly enough. LINK

(nothing to do with carnivores, however)

Hmm, strange. These days when I buy cigarettes in the U.S. I pay around $8 per pack. According to Wiki 56% of that price goes to the government. Let’s say $4. If I were to smoke one pack per day for forty years, the government would receive around $60,000. I thought that should be enough for a bypass or to treat a lung cancer. Maybe I am wrong.

Right. According to the CDC you need to pay at least $10.47 (in taxes!) per pack to make up for the average healthcare costs of smoking.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 27 March 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

I looked at the comments following the article, most of which did not address the question any better than George and me, and I think ‘K’ (who posted at the NYT site and is about the 9th major post from the top) says it best.

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Minor technical aside to Traveler.  You may notice the number in brackets at the upper right of each post.  This one should be [#21].  You can use that to identify any post in a particular thread.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 March 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 27 March 2012 11:18 AM

Minor technical aside to Traveler.  You may notice the number in brackets at the upper right of each post.  This one should be [#21].  You can use that to identify any post in a particular thread.

Occam

Right, I was referring to the comments after the article cited in the OP, not the posts here. But thanks anyway Occam - I know you are trying to help and I appreciate that.

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Aha, I should have read your post more carefully.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 April 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
traveler - 27 March 2012 05:07 AM

I looked at the comments following the article, most of which did not address the question any better than George and me, and I think ‘K’ (who posted at the NYT site and is about the 9th major post from the top) says it best.

Traveler thanks for the comment.

Today is the deadline….

It used to be that comments from the forum got forwarded to me in email - so it was easy to return to the topic.  I’m finding this doesn’t happenso much any more—maybe someting in a mail filter or something.  Thanks again for comments.

Posted: 06 April 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  542
Joined  2007-09-29

From Chesterton’s The Napoleon of Notting Hill, 1904:

‘Then there was the opposite school [of prophets of the future]. There was Mr. Edward Carpenter, who thought we should in a very short time return to Nature, and live simply and slowly as the animals do. And Edward Carpenter was followed by James Pickie, D.D. (of Pocohontas College), who said that men were immensely improved by grazing, or taking their food slowly and continuously, after the manner of cows. And he said that he had, with the most encouraging results, turned city men out on all fours in a field covered with veal cutlets. Then Tolstoy and the Humanitarians said that the world was growing more merciful, and therefore no one would ever desire to kill. And Mr. Mick not only became a vegetarian, but at length declared vegetarianism doomed (“shedding,” as he called it finely, “the green blood of the silent animals”), and predicted that men in a better age would live on nothing but salt. And then came the pamphlet from Oregon (where the thing was tried), the pamphlet called “Why should Salt suffer?” and there was more trouble.’

Posted: 06 April 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
George - 26 March 2012 12:41 PM

Well, I wasn’t comparing smoking with eating meat per se, but rather the type of reasoning to help us come up with an argument to justify either of them. Smoking is dangerous and eating meat hurts animals no matter what kind of an excuse we can think of to help us feel that it may be okay to do it.

I think one can spend a lot of the 600 words worrying about the definition of “ethical” as well as the defintion of ‘meat’.  If we can grow tissues for transplants, we might good enough at it that we could “grow” protein tissue aka meat to eat.  This meat doesn’t hurt animals.
Or one might consider animals like scallops, which taste delicious, are nurioushing but dont’ really mind Even Peter Singer is a little luke-warm about the arguments against eating scallops.

http://www.wesleyan.edu/wsa/warn/singer_fish.htm

Posted: 06 April 2012 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 26 March 2012 05:55 PM

If I were to smoke one pack per day for forty years, the government would receive around $60,000. I thought that should be enough for a bypass or to treat a lung cancer. Maybe I am wrong.

Not at the current cost of health care in the US. That would probably get you hospital care for a week…and you should hope you don’t need a surgery. grrr

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 May 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-05-03

It is ethical to eat meat because I said so.

End of essay.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-05-23

You can’t eat meat and claim to be more ethical, you are just less guilty.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  6158
Joined  2009-02-26

Nature has many methods of recycling resources. I am merely a human recycling machine.
However I blame the packers for being unethical. Styrofoam and plastic cannot be recycled and are the ethical weak link in the chain… shut eye

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

2 of 2

‹‹ Unhealthy Alms      A Moral Conundrum ››