2 of 2
DNA and race
Posted: 31 March 2012 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 30 March 2012 12:03 PM

Even the light skin of Asians is a product of completely different genes from the ones found in Europeans. Those genes that separate people into different races are unique to those races only.

I don’t intend to get into another flame war with you about race, but no, you have no idea what you are talking about. We all know you have strong (to put it mildly) thoughts about race, but it doesn’t make them right.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 31 March 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, my opinion on race may not be the popular one, but at least is not based on ignorance and wishful thinking like yours.

Posted: 31 March 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 31 March 2012 06:34 AM

Yes, my opinion on race may not be the popular one, but at least is not based on ignorance and wishful thinking like yours.

I don’t believe anyone denies that there is a science behind genetics. The discomfort - and yes, that’s all it is - for me is the fear mongering way that you tend to apply it. White flight from California, for example, and claiming that the future US will be like current Brazil.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 31 March 2012 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

I normally don’t bother getting into discussions about genetics, but George, from all my readings your posts seem to equate the few genes for skin pigmentation with all sorts of other, more important characteristics.  It is an important error to assume that genes that formed in response to one enviromental stress has anything to do with other characteristics the person or group have.  Melanin protects against sunlight, so one would expect it to exist in those who’s ancestry was nearer the equator.  When groups moved away from the equator to colder climates, those with darker skin tended to radiate heat more efficiently, making them more susceptible to death from the cold.  This seems to be a clearcut case of species change in response to an environmental change.  I don’t see any reason that those who moved north would also tend to shift, genetically, to more intelligence, etc.

A good example of variation in skin pigmentation is the Japanese.  Those who’ve lived in the north for many many generations have lighter yellow skin while those who have lived in the southern-most sections of the country have a rether deep beige coloration.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 March 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

I agree, Occam, genes responsible for the colour of skin have nothing to do with genes affecting intelligence.

Posted: 01 April 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

While I believe there are specific cultural behaviors that are dominant in each group, I do not believe that there are genetic differences that contribute significantly to those behaviors.  From the gene identification studies I’ve seen most of the members of any group will have much in common with random members of other groups than they have in their own.  I believe race is an obsolete word that is essentially of no use in predicting behavior.  Unfortunately, skin color is the main determinant of race.  From that point, it’s easy for some to attribute “racial” behaviors to justify their own ideas.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 April 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I think one point that’s important to keep in mind is that as the world increases in multiculturalism, those who do not adapt well to it will be evolutionarily omitted.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

2 of 2