2 of 2
Godhead - real or fiction
Posted: 03 April 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  604
Joined  2011-08-10
domokato - 03 April 2012 05:10 PM

Didn’t we cover this in this thread, starting here: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/11864/P15/#140111 ?

Pretty well.

Regards
DL

Posted: 03 April 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3196
Joined  2011-08-15

This cosmic consciousness you speak of as a “godhead” and your apotheosis seems linked to the philosophy of transcendentalism wherein one finds god in everything. Is this what you mean DL? Just asking for clarification. If so then your philosophy transcends reality as defined by empiricism. It means, in effect a belief in the supernatural and defies skeptical thinking. Thus no proof that your concept of a god or “godhead” exists in the real world. It is real only to you and to no one else. It is exclusive and not open to scrutiny. Therefore, AFAIC you can believe what you want but you can’t prove the reality of your belief anymore than the ancient Greeks can prove that Zeus lives on Mount Olympus.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 03 April 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20

I’m sure the ancient Greeks thought that their gods were real also, as did the ancient Egyptians and many other ancient and current cultures.
I personally believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Ramen!  But of course I have no proof it exists.

Check it out here:

http://www.venganza.org/

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 04 April 2012 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Thanks for your answers GIA. Your replies brought up another question. Have you tried LSD?

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 04 April 2012 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
Thevillageatheist - 03 April 2012 07:43 PM

This cosmic consciousness you speak of as a “godhead” and your apotheosis seems linked to the philosophy of transcendentalism wherein one finds god in everything. Is this what you mean DL?

Not at all. Nature is everything and the cosmic consciousness is just another piece just as you and I are.
It cannot transcend its nature and cannot do supernatural things any more than you or I. I see it as just our next evolutionary step.
I am just a tadpole, so to speak, who happens to have touched the mind of the frog that I will become a part of.

Just asking for clarification. If so then your philosophy transcends reality as defined by empiricism. It means, in effect a belief in the supernatural and defies skeptical thinking. Thus no proof that your concept of a god or “godhead” exists in the real world. It is real only to you and to no one else. It is exclusive and not open to scrutiny. Therefore, AFAIC you can believe what you want but you can’t prove the reality of your belief anymore than the ancient Greeks can prove that Zeus lives on Mount Olympus.

Cap’t Jack

You are right in that I cannot prove it.
That is why I only offer my belief as an anecdotal rendering and do not push it.
I would likely not believe it either without the experience of it.

It is like when I hear of NDE or astral travel. I log it but do not believe it.
It was the same with telepathy. I had it logged but did not believe till experience and confirmation.

Regards
DL

Posted: 04 April 2012 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
TeachScience - 03 April 2012 08:16 PM

I’m sure the ancient Greeks thought that their gods were real also, as did the ancient Egyptians and many other ancient and current cultures.
I personally believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Ramen!  But of course I have no proof it exists.

Check it out here:

http://www.venganza.org/

I do not agree. Some likely did but not many.
I believe that literal belief in God is a fairly recent phenomenon ushered in by Protestantism.
I cannot believe that the ancients, who were quite materialistic out of necessity, were not stupid enough to believe that snakes and asses could talk human.

Jews also had so many names for God over time that they also had no fear of switching Gods.
One does not switch Gods if one believes in them as real.

Also, Rome had a nameless God for those who did not want to bother with the known or named ones.

Regards
DL

Posted: 04 April 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-08-10
traveler - 04 April 2012 04:53 AM

Thanks for your answers GIA. Your replies brought up another question. Have you tried LSD?

Just the once but that was long after my apotheosis.

I see your true thoughts coming out again and they belie your true reason of hate for this thread.

Are you beginning to know thyself yet?

Regards
DL

Posted: 04 April 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Greatest I am - 04 April 2012 07:16 AM
traveler - 04 April 2012 04:53 AM

Just the once but that was long after my apotheosis.

I see your true thoughts coming out again and they belie your true reason of hate for this thread.

Are you beginning to know thyself yet?

Regards
DL

You keep talking about my “true thoughts” and “true reason of hate” but you have no basis for doing so other than I am questioning you. And I know myself quite well thank you.
So you did try LSD but after the apo. Thanks.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

2 of 2