Well met, Thinkers.
Posted: 05 April 2012 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-04

Hi everyone,

I’m Tony , currently studying my second year at college,  Pasadena, LA.
Last semester i took Philosophy of mind, and intro of psychology. and stumble upon fascinating ideas and concepts which electrifies every single neurons in my mind. some topic i am still excited about for now is determinism(fully materialistic views?), consciousness, oh, also popular topics on creationism and evolutionist. Thanks to internet and inquisitive society, we can freely share so many ideas that used to be ludicrously forbidden. theres so much more i’d like to talk about, but i’ll leave that to other section smile
also, i’m really hoped if someone can correct my mistakes in my writings(i’m still ESL student)

Thank you ^^v

Signature 

Nothing is true,
Everything is permitted.

Posted: 05 April 2012 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6159
Joined  2009-02-26

Welcome Tony,
Looking forward to your posts. Coming from Holland, I am more interested in content than grammar. If your message is interesting and challenging, most will forgive grammatical errors…... smile

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 05 April 2012 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Tony. You’ll find that a lot of us here are interested in the same questions. And please don’t worry about your English—we have plenty of non-native speakers here on the Forum.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 April 2012 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22
Write4U - 05 April 2012 04:36 AM

Welcome Tony,
Looking forward to your posts. Coming from Holland, I am more interested in content than grammar. If your message is interesting and challenging, most will forgive grammatical errors…... smile

Yeah, you types over in western Michigan can be odd about your grammar.

raspberry

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, Tony.  Don’t worry about your minor grammatical errors.  We’re far more interested in your ideas than in whether you got the spelling right.  smile

If you are interested in the concept of determinism especially as versus free-will, you’ll find a thread in the fourth page back in the philsophy section that goes on for a hundred and ninety-five pages on this topic with proponents on each side presenting their cases.  It gets repetitive after a while, but you should get some good ideas from it.  The thread title is Free Will (Merged).

Occam

I see there’s also another, more recent thread: “The Greatest Proof of Freewill”.

[ Edited: 05 April 2012 03:51 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  6159
Joined  2009-02-26
TromboneAndrew - 05 April 2012 08:03 AM
Write4U - 05 April 2012 04:36 AM

Welcome Tony,

Yeah, you types over in western Michigan can be odd about your grammar.raspberry

Hey, I resemble that remark….. cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 05 April 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-04-04

Awesome, still went through all the threads, found many good answers.

Signature 

Nothing is true,
Everything is permitted.

Posted: 11 April 2012 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Tony.  Glad to have you here.  Please jump in and join us.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report