the war on the penny changing U.S. currency
Posted: 05 April 2012 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2883
Joined  2011-08-15

I wonder if this made Paul Ryan’s budget proposal? Should we go digital and throw away all our greenbacks? More people than ever are now paying bills, investing,  and buying items on E-marketplaces than ever before. Why not? Any thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/04/04/bringing-dollars-and-cents-into-this-century/please-finally-end-the-penny

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

I think once everyone has fast and dependable internet access, such an idea would be possible. As it stands, I believe much of the midwest still lacks broadband. We also need to wait for the old generation to die *cough cough, you guys*

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 05 April 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5165
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, as an old fud I get quite a bit of exercise picking up pennies that you young squirts drop in parking lots and are too lazy to pick up. smile

Gee, maybe I should break out the couple of 1943 zinc plated steel pennies i have someplace.  I bet most clerks would refuse them.  :Lol:

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 April 2012 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2579
Joined  2011-04-24

I agree that the penny should be eliminated; it’s totally useless in today’s world.  Paper money though - that’s a different story.  Bills will stay around for a long while most likely, they’re too convenient and too sensual for people to give up IMO.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 April 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2883
Joined  2011-08-15

It seems the poor penny will end up in collection books only to increase in value in the next 100 years! Sadly,many of us won’t be around to enjoy the virtual money it will bring. Save those war penny’s Occam, they’re already worth money for their rarity.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine