Super-Turing Computation a Possibility?
Posted: 06 April 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Computer Scientist Leads the Way to the Next Revolution in Artificial Intelligence

According to the abstract of the original paper, it appears that she is attempting to make a computer that uses “real numbers” instead of the traditional integers and rational numbers available to today’s computers. However, according to what we know of physics, there are no truly real numbers [1]. So I can only surmise that she is attempting to build a computer that would be more powerful than a turing machine, but is not actually a true super-turing machine (similar to how today’s computers are not true turing machines due to their lack of infinite memory). I’m not sure why this hadn’t been tried until now. And I wonder if it could be achieved simply by using different voltages to represent the “real numbers” in place of the on/off (one/zero) voltages of today’s computers.

I want to read the actual paper but I don’t want to pay $12.00 to have only 24 hours of access…

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 06 April 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22

Sure, it’s possible, and in fact has been demonstrated: the human brain. I think that Hava is simply trying to come up with a way to imitate the design without actually growing an organism with it’s attached brain.

I’m not sure why this article is in sciencedaily.com, because even as the paper states, the concept isn’t new. Exactly what Hava is building isn’t even stated, other than that it is a super-Turing machine. Is she using silicon chips? Actual neurons? Something else? Who knows?

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk