1 of 6
Poll
Are You a Believer? Take The Dawkins Test
1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists. 0
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he 1
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God. 0
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable. 1
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical. 1
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumptio 24
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God. 11
Total Votes: 38
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Rate yourself on the Dawkins scale
Posted: 09 April 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I am somewhere between 6 and 7. I went with 6.

Article: http://www.bigthink.com/think-tank/atheism-easter-atheister

Some of the answers got cut off so here they are again:

Richard Dawkins’ Belief Scale Scoring Rubric

Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 April 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

None of these is quite right for me; they all depend on dicey interpretations. But I suppose I’d fall somewhere between 6 and 7.

(Also, I think the strongest atheist position shouldn’t be described as “100% certain”, whatever that means, but rather that the existence of God is logically impossible, i.e. the concept “God” implies a contradiction. I don’t think this is correct, but I know there are some atheists who’ve claimed to believe it).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 April 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
dougsmith - 09 April 2012 08:33 AM

None of these is quite right for me; they all depend on dicey interpretations. But I suppose I’d fall somewhere between 6 and 7.

(Also, I think the strongest atheist position shouldn’t be described as “100% certain”, whatever that means, but rather that the existence of God is logically impossible, i.e. the concept “God” implies a contradiction. I don’t think this is correct, but I know there are some atheists who’ve claimed to believe it).

Funny, I went with 7 because of our earlier discussion about “knowing” that a teapot doesn’t orbit Jupiter.  cheese

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 09 April 2012 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I’m not crazy about the definitions either, but who am I to question Dawkins?  wink

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 April 2012 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
traveler - 09 April 2012 08:35 AM

Funny, I went with 7 because of our earlier discussion about “knowing” that a teapot doesn’t orbit Jupiter.  cheese

Yes, I think that’s one plausible answer, but it depends on how one understands “100% certain”. Some may take that to mean the sort of certainty that 1+1=2, which is a different order of certainty entirely.

To put it another way: in one way of looking at it, I am 100% certain that if I bought a lottery ticket I would not win. That is, my chance of winning is very much less than 1%, so my belief rounds to 100%. But that’s not to say I couldn’t in fact win.

(This is sort of the way I think of God, FWIW, only with a VERY big lottery).

There’s another sense of 100% certain in that I am 100% certain that I couldn’t jump to the Moon. It’s not that there’s some vanishingly small chance I could do it, it’s that it’s literally, physically impossible. Or that I could trisect the angle with compass and straight edge: that’s literally, logically impossible.

So the same option 7 may end up meaning very different things to different people. And that strikes me as confused.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 April 2012 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I am going with 7. I am 100% sure God doesn’t exist although I guess I could be wrong. But I can’t help it.

Posted: 09 April 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I also went for 6, but they need a 6.9999 category.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 09 April 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3162
Joined  2011-08-15

I went with 7, haven’t been proven wriong so far but that’s from personal observation and study. If anyone can answer the statement , “show me god” with empirical evidence then I’ll be forced to change my opinion.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 April 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3071
Joined  2011-11-04

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 09 April 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22

My beliefs, Gods exist where ever we humans invent them or find then useful, don’t fit on the scale.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 09 April 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
garythehuman - 09 April 2012 02:20 PM

My beliefs, Gods exist where ever we humans invent them or find then useful, don’t fit on the scale.

Wouldn’t that technically be a 1?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 09 April 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1765
Joined  2007-10-22
TimB - 09 April 2012 02:38 PM
garythehuman - 09 April 2012 02:20 PM

Wouldn’t that technically be a 1?

I don’t think so.

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, the priestess I worship is a female, Sudari the Celestial Barmaid.  (and don’t call her Suds unless you are an iniate, angry )

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 09 April 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I find myself intrigued by the tone of the discussion here.  I would suppose someone who felt themselves to be strongly theistic would be proud of choosing #1 and vociferously proclaim the nobility/morality of that choice, and yet the people here, who have dedicated much time and intellectual effort to examining and testing the theory that there is not and can not be a god are somewhat cautious about how we embrace that claim.  No one has yet whole-heartedly proclaimed themselves a #7 and promoted that choice as one which reflects special virtue and integrity.  While that could very likely be seen as a sign of weakness, a lack of surety, by a person trained to think in a religious fashion, embracing and recognizing the element of doubt in all things is the very essence of what appeals to me about the secular viewpoint.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 09 April 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

I’m proud enough of choosing 6.

Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I chose 7. I don’t believe there is anything like a ‘god’ out there.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 April 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24

7 for me, the descriptions could have been a little more precise.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

1 of 6