2 of 6
Poll
Are You a Believer? Take The Dawkins Test
1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists. 0
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he 1
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God. 0
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable. 1
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical. 1
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumptio 24
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God. 11
Total Votes: 38
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Rate yourself on the Dawkins scale
Posted: 10 April 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4520
Joined  2007-08-31

Voted 6, but only on very methodological reasons. I think I should have voted 6.5. (~ I see no reason why we should assume the existence of a god, so I am pretty sure there is none).

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 10 April 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Jeciron - 09 April 2012 05:19 PM

I find myself intrigued by the tone of the discussion here.  I would suppose someone who felt themselves to be strongly theistic would be proud of choosing #1 and vociferously proclaim the nobility/morality of that choice, and yet the people here, who have dedicated much time and intellectual effort to examining and testing the theory that there is not and can not be a god are somewhat cautious about how we embrace that claim.  No one has yet whole-heartedly proclaimed themselves a #7 and promoted that choice as one which reflects special virtue and integrity.  While that could very likely be seen as a sign of weakness, a lack of surety, by a person trained to think in a religious fashion, embracing and recognizing the element of doubt in all things is the very essence of what appeals to me about the secular viewpoint.

I agree. Part of what makes the scientific method/worldview so powerful is the basic tenant that all knowledge is tentative and that nothing can ever be known to be 100% true. This is in direct opposition to almost all theological “knowledge” (actually dogma), which is never—or almost never—open to possible revision. It is for that reason, I think, that even hard nosed atheists like Dawkins are hesitant to go with 7.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 10 April 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
FreeInKy - 10 April 2012 06:35 AM

It is for that reason, I think, that even hard nosed atheists like Dawkins are hesitant to go with 7.

Are you 100% it is in fact Dawkins who claims that? He could be an alien pretending to be Dawkins. I am 6.9 on the George Scale, believing that Dawkins is who he claims he is.

Posted: 10 April 2012 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
George - 10 April 2012 06:44 AM

It is for that reason, I think, that even hard nosed atheists like Dawkins are hesitant to go with 7.

Are you 100% it is in fact Dawkins who claims that? He could be an alien pretending to be Dawkins. I am 6.9 on the George Scale, believing that Dawkins is who he claims he is.

I have it on good authority that Dawkins is in fact an alien. His spaceship is in orbit around Jupiter and looks suspiciously like a tea kettle.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 10 April 2012 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Love it! That’s why I went with 7.  LOL

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 10 April 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
FreeInKy - 10 April 2012 06:46 AM

I have it on good authority that Dawkins is in fact an alien. His spaceship is in orbit around Jupiter and looks suspiciously like a tea kettle.

You sound almost as funny as Bill O’Reilly here.  grin

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Occam. - 09 April 2012 11:52 AM

I also went for 6, but they need a 6.9999 category.

Occam

sort of ditto.  I don’t feel right saying I’m 100% certain about anything

Posted: 11 April 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m closer to a 6 than a 5, so I went with 6.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 11 April 2012 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
Jackson - 11 April 2012 06:45 PM
Occam. - 09 April 2012 11:52 AM

I also went for 6, but they need a 6.9999 category.

Occam

sort of ditto.  I don’t feel right saying I’m 100% certain about anything

Same here. I wouldn’t even know what that feels like. The only thing I’m 100% sure of is my consciousness.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 12 April 2012 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

I voted 7 because the god concept Western religions present is bindingly absurd, and there is no reason to believe other religions have any special insight into life, the universe and everything. Why be timid about this? There is no evidence for a god. All religions can offer are man-made concepts. Not one religion has taught us anything about the physical universe. It is time we acknowledge religions are nothing more than mythologies handed down over millennia.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 12 April 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
traveler - 09 April 2012 08:35 AM
dougsmith - 09 April 2012 08:33 AM

None of these is quite right for me; they all depend on dicey interpretations. But I suppose I’d fall somewhere between 6 and 7.

(Also, I think the strongest atheist position shouldn’t be described as “100% certain”, whatever that means, but rather that the existence of God is logically impossible, i.e. the concept “God” implies a contradiction. I don’t think this is correct, but I know there are some atheists who’ve claimed to believe it).

Funny, I went with 7 because of our earlier discussion about “knowing” that a teapot doesn’t orbit Jupiter.  cheese

Yes exactly.  My first reaction to Doug’s post was: “huhn?  sounds slightly contradictory to past posts…”
100% certain means exactly that…100% certain.  But let’s not go down this path again.
I could easily argue this point:  There’s number 7 and everything else is the same!  Really, logically in the context of religious belief that is a truism.  A fact.
After-all, I’ve argued before that among professed believers there are varying levels of certainty.  Numbers 1-6 are just extensions of belief, or faith.
This whole “to what degree are you an atheist/agnostic” thing is a very common recurrence here…it reminds me of the games girls used to play in middle school with folded pieces of paper with various “fortunes” and “crushes” etc…

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 12 April 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
DarronS - 12 April 2012 06:10 AM

I voted 7 because the god concept Western religions present is bindingly absurd, and there is no reason to believe other religions have any special insight into life, the universe and everything. Why be timid about this? There is no evidence for a god. All religions can offer are man-made concepts. Not one religion has taught us anything about the physical universe. It is time we acknowledge religions are nothing more than mythologies handed down over millennia.

There’s a difference between being timid and being honest with your self. I’m not going so far to say that I’m an agnostic about the issue. But at the same time, I take issue with the wording of number 7. I’m just not really sure that I know what it feels like to be 100% certain of anything.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 12 April 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-06-17

I am between 5 and 6 on a Cosmic Intelligence that is part and parcel of the undelying reality of the Universe. Whooosh! The very fact that I do know how to know that might bring me to somewhere between 6 and 7.

I am between a 6 and 7 on any revealed Religion God simply because I am one humble dude. smile

Posted: 12 April 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
VeridicusMaximus - 12 April 2012 05:55 PM

I am between 5 and 6 on a Cosmic Intelligence that is part and parcel of the undelying reality of the Universe.

You seem to know a lot about something you claim you don’t know a lot about. Why is it “cosmic”? Why not merely “galactic”? How do you know it’s intelligent? What portion of the “underlying reality” does this “part and parcel” account for?

You are not a 5. And you are certainly not a 6. If you quack like a 3, then you are probably a 3.  grin

Posted: 12 April 2012 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
VeridicusMaximus - 12 April 2012 05:55 PM

I am between 5 and 6 on a Cosmic Intelligence that is part and parcel of the undelying reality of the Universe. Whooosh! The very fact that I do know how to know that might bring me to somewhere between 6 and 7.

I am between a 6 and 7 on any revealed Religion God simply because I am one humble dude. smile

Are you a Poe?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

2 of 6