3 of 6
Poll
Are You a Believer? Take The Dawkins Test
1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists. 0
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he 1
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God. 0
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable. 1
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical. 1
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumptio 24
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God. 11
Total Votes: 38
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Rate yourself on the Dawkins scale
Posted: 12 April 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-06-17
George - 12 April 2012 07:39 PM
VeridicusMaximus - 12 April 2012 05:55 PM

I am between 5 and 6 on a Cosmic Intelligence that is part and parcel of the undelying reality of the Universe.

You seem to know a lot about something you claim you don’t know a lot about. Why is it “cosmic”? Why not merely “galactic”? How do you know it’s intelligent? What portion of the “underlying reality” does this “part and parcel” account for?

You are not a 5. And you are certainly not a 6. If you quack like a 3, then you are probably a 3.  grin

The first part was somewhat tongue in cheek. That is why I waxed eloquent on something I have no way of knowing. smile

Posted: 12 April 2012 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-06-17
asanta - 12 April 2012 08:24 PM
VeridicusMaximus - 12 April 2012 05:55 PM

I am between 5 and 6 on a Cosmic Intelligence that is part and parcel of the undelying reality of the Universe. Whooosh! The very fact that I do know how to know that might bring me to somewhere between 6 and 7.

I am between a 6 and 7 on any revealed Religion God simply because I am one humble dude. smile

Are you a Poe?

Hell Noe! What is a Poe - if it is person of entertainment - then ye that is me smile

Posted: 25 April 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2012-04-25

I’m None of the Above.  The Poll itself is meaningless since no one can define what exactly the poll is about.  Now it uses alot of words we’ve all heard of, uses them in sentences that seem to make sense. But ultimately, no one can say whether they make sense or not.  Sort of like this question: “Do you believe blue smells like flotsom?”

Posted: 25 April 2012 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
CuthbertJ - 25 April 2012 06:48 PM

I’m None of the Above.  The Poll itself is meaningless since no one can define what exactly the poll is about.  Now it uses alot of words we’ve all heard of, uses them in sentences that seem to make sense. But ultimately, no one can say whether they make sense or not.  Sort of like this question: “Do you believe blue smells like flotsom?”

I don’t follow you; we can define what the poll is about - it’s about rating yourself according to Dawkins’ scale.  It’s not very precise, but it’s close enough to give a workable description.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 26 April 2012 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

What do you mean? God has a very simple definition: the all powerful, all knowing, perfectly good person who created and/or sustains the universe.

“All powerful” means he can do anything it is logically possible to do. (E.g., he can’t make a weight so heavy he can’t lift it, since that would imply a contradiction, and hence not be logically possible).

“All knowing” means he knows everything it is logically possible to know. (E.g., for every proposition he knows the extent to which it is true or false).

“Perfectly good” means that he only ever wills what is the best in any given circumstance.

“Person” means he is a being with beliefs, desires, intentions, will, etc.

There is no real confusion here about what is being described.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 April 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
mid atlantic - 25 April 2012 08:14 PM

I don’t follow you; we can define what the poll is about - it’s about rating yourself according to Dawkins’ scale.  It’s not very precise, but it’s close enough to give a workable description.

Poor choice of words on my part. By “about” I meant what the various words in the poll mean, not what the polls purpose is (or Dawkins scale).  I guess if you say the poll refers to a particular Western, Judeo-Christian set of definitions, then I’d say it has some meaning but it’s trivial and silly.  That’s because those definitions are just simplistic, anthropomorphic descriptions of a story character that has evolved over time.

Posted: 26 April 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I see nothing silly about the poll. What I do find silly, though, is everything you have written so far, Cuthbert. You are making absolutely no sense.

Posted: 26 April 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2012-04-25

What do you mean? God has a very simple definition: the all powerful, all knowing, perfectly good person who created and/or sustains the universe.
You’ve described a super duper Santa Claus. Who’s to say any of those apply to “god”?

“All powerful” means he can do anything it is logically possible to do. (E.g., he can’t make a weight so heavy he can’t lift it, since that would imply a contradiction, and hence not be logically possible).
That’s not all powerful then is it, since she’s limited by logic.

“All knowing” means he knows everything it is logically possible to know. (E.g., for every proposition he knows the extent to which it is true or false).
Same as above, plus what’s so special about “knowing”? That’s something us humans do.  “Knowing” implies the possibility of not knowing so in a sense maybe the whole idea doesn’t apply to a god.

“Perfectly good” means that he only ever wills what is the best in any given circumstance.
Wills what is best? You mean she can’t choose to do less than best? That’s not all powerful.

“Person” means he is a being with beliefs, desires, intentions, will, etc
More anthropomorphism.

I don’t mean to knock what you posted, because you did tick off some obvious things that many others have in the past.  It’s just that these things really just express simple ideas from us puny humans (myself included).  Even my little objections could be considered silly by someone far more advanced than any of us.  Point is, the poll only makes sense if we don’t delve too deeply into what’s meant by the words in it.  Even the word “exist” is suspect. Perhaps there are things that occur, then vanish, then occur, then vanish, etc.

Posted: 26 April 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
CuthbertJ - 26 April 2012 01:55 PM

You’ve described a super duper Santa Claus. Who’s to say any of those apply to “god”?

Huh? They do, by definition. That’s what God means.

That’s not all powerful then is it, since she’s limited by logic.

Um, no. Logic is no limitation, since it includes everything that is possible. Contradiction is not possible.

Same as above, plus what’s so special about “knowing”? That’s something us humans do.  “Knowing” implies the possibility of not knowing so in a sense maybe the whole idea doesn’t apply to a god.

Same as above. “Knowing” is having correct information about the way things are. There is nothing essentially human in any of that. Indeed, machines can have true information in this sense, and many animals can know.

I don’t understand your last sentence, but anyhow it is misplaced since as I’ve said this idea applies to God by definition.

Wills what is best? You mean she can’t choose to do less than best? That’s not all powerful.

She has the power to do what’s less than best but her will to the good makes her choose the best, anyway. I suppose in a sense that’s a limitation on being all powerful, but if so, it’s a limitation that wouldn’t make a difference to many theists.

“Person” means he is a being with beliefs, desires, intentions, will, etc
More anthropomorphism.

Huh? Is that supposed to be a knock-down argument of some kind? If there are intelligent aliens out there somewhere, they will be persons just as much as you are.

Point is, the poll only makes sense if we don’t delve too deeply into what’s meant by the words in it.  Even the word “exist” is suspect. Perhaps there are things that occur, then vanish, then occur, then vanish, etc.

Uh huh. That’s the sort of objection which, if valid, would be applicable to every sentence ever spoken or written, including itself. It is, so to say, self-refuting.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 26 April 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
George - 26 April 2012 01:52 PM

I see nothing silly about the poll. What I do find silly, though, is everything you have written so far, Cuthbert. You are making absolutely no sense.

Dig into a good book on Philosophy.  Much of what I’m talking about is just philosophical questioning and analysis.  I’m certainly no pro at it believe me. And the stuff I wrote elsewhere in this thread really isn’t original thinking. I’m just rehashing what others have said.  Anyways, if you spend any amount of time really delving into the big ideas in philosophy you quickly realize nothing’s as simple as it seems. And a poll or scale like Dawkins is one of those things.

Posted: 26 April 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2012-04-25
dougsmith - 26 April 2012 02:07 PM

Point is, the poll only makes sense if we don’t delve too deeply into what’s meant by the words in it.  Even the word “exist” is suspect. Perhaps there are things that occur, then vanish, then occur, then vanish, etc.

Uh huh. That’s the sort of objection which, if valid, would be applicable to every sentence ever spoken or written, including itself. It is, so to say, self-refuting.

Ok, sorry.  I can see my posts really don’t belong in this type of forum.  I’m gonna stick to the less philosophical topics in the CFI Forum.

Posted: 26 April 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

It’s one thing to say that a poll or survey is more complicated than it looks, and another thing to wax hyperbolic and say that it’s “meaningless”

Just because things aren’t defined EXACTLY doesn’t make them meaningless—

Are you more of an atheist or a religious fundamentalist?

Posted: 26 April 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

I’m a 6 on the scale.  I’m not quite certain enough to put myself at 7.  I’d say I’m 100% sure YHWH doesn’t exist but I’m only 99%  certain a deistic god doesn’t exist.

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 26 April 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
CuthbertJ - 26 April 2012 02:16 PM

Ok, sorry.  I can see my posts really don’t belong in this type of forum.  I’m gonna stick to the less philosophical topics in the CFI Forum.

No worries!

smile

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 27 April 2012 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
dougsmith - 26 April 2012 04:12 PM
CuthbertJ - 26 April 2012 02:16 PM

No worries!

There’s always the envelope problem and free will. Have at it!  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

3 of 6