4 of 6
Poll
Are You a Believer? Take The Dawkins Test
1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists. 0
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he 1
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God. 0
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable. 1
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical. 1
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumptio 24
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God. 11
Total Votes: 38
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Rate yourself on the Dawkins scale
Posted: 28 April 2012 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
CuthbertJ - 26 April 2012 01:31 PM
mid atlantic - 25 April 2012 08:14 PM
CuthbertJ - 25 April 2012 06:48 PM

I’m None of the Above.  The Poll itself is meaningless since no one can define what exactly the poll is about.  Now it uses alot of words we’ve all heard of, uses them in sentences that seem to make sense. But ultimately, no one can say whether they make sense or not.  Sort of like this question: “Do you believe blue smells like flotsom?”

I don’t follow you; we can define what the poll is about - it’s about rating yourself according to Dawkins’ scale.  It’s not very precise, but it’s close enough to give a workable description.

Poor choice of words on my part. By “about” I meant what the various words in the poll mean, not what the polls purpose is (or Dawkins scale).  I guess if you say the poll refers to a particular Western, Judeo-Christian set of definitions, then I’d say it has some meaning but it’s trivial and silly.  That’s because those definitions are just simplistic, anthropomorphic descriptions of a story character that has evolved over time.

As has every other “story character”.  Dawkins is basically asking, “do you believe in an observing deity that makes things happen”. Any sophisticated “Western” person can figure that out.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 April 2012 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2010-07-01

I chose 6 because I’m not an absolutionist. I’ll do fine with just 99.9999%

Posted: 28 April 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

4 for me, but it would be a little misleading. I’m more of the “Don’t Know And Don’t Care” variety of agnostic.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 01 May 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  3330
Joined  2011-11-04
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 28 April 2012 07:34 PM

4 for me, but it would be a little misleading. I’m more of the “Don’t Know And Don’t Care” variety of agnostic.

I commend your taking a stand, though I think that if you cared, you would know better.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 01 May 2012 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

I commend your taking a stand, though I think that if you cared, you would know better.

Not likely. “I don’t know” means exactly that whether I care of not.

Either there’s something there or there isn’t and the reason I don’t concern myself with it is because no matter which way it goes, there’s nothing I can do about it.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 02 May 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I can appreciate EOC’s position although I chose 6.  Since there’s no evidence of the existence (physical or metaphysical) or non-existence, then it’s WGAS (who gives a s__t).

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 May 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t think the topic here is if we care that God exists—whatever that’s supposed to mean. Somebody who agrees with #4, agrees that the chances of God existing (or not) are 50/50. That is simply a crazy talk. The universe appears to be absent of any omniscient being just like the moon appears not to be made of blue cheese. But who knows, maybe the moon just appears that way; I guess the chances are 50/50.

Posted: 02 May 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  3330
Joined  2011-11-04
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 01 May 2012 08:42 PM

Not likely. “I don’t know” means exactly that whether I care of not.

Either there’s something there or there isn’t and the reason I don’t concern myself with it is because no matter which way it goes, there’s nothing I can do about it.

It’s difficult for me to relate to your perspective, here, as I am curious about lots of things that I can, effectively, do nothing about.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 02 May 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Good point, George.  I hadn’t gone back to read #4.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 May 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

I don’t think the topic here is if we care that God exists—whatever that’s supposed to mean. Somebody who agrees with #4, agrees that the chances of God existing (or not) are 50/50.

Actually I don’t. I don’t know IF there’s a chance that deity(s) exist. What I know is that there is no evidence one way or another where I could make a reasonable conclusion on the question.

I think I can be reasonably certain that if deity(s) exist, it/they really don’t care because any time anybody appeals to them, all they really get is a stony silence. (Wild imaginings and wishful thinking notwithstanding.)

It’s difficult for me to relate to your perspective

You’re under no obligation to relate to it.

here, as I am curious about lots of things that I can, effectively, do nothing about.

Me too, but deities aren’t one of them. Different stokes for different folks and all that.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2012 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

I can relate, sort of.  I often feel that I don’t know and don’t care;  no deity has ever made any attempt to contact me, or provide me with evidence in any way that they are around somewhere. I don’t really care if the possibilities are there, I don’t live in a platonic universe.  Theists may disagree, but no miracles are happening for them - they just choose to (or are compelled to) believe.  Wishful thinking in action.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 02 May 2012 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05
George - 02 May 2012 11:15 AM

I don’t think the topic here is if we care that God exists—whatever that’s supposed to mean. Somebody who agrees with #4, agrees that the chances of God existing (or not) are 50/50. That is simply a crazy talk. The universe appears to be absent of any omniscient being just like the moon appears not to be made of blue cheese. But who knows, maybe the moon just appears that way; I guess the chances are 50/50.

My only objection to number 4 is that exact equiprobable business.  Claiming to be exact about what you admit that you don’t know is absurd.

If one is willing to even imagine the possibility of an all knowing and powerful invisible being then it is ridiculous to think that normal humans could figure out what his motives could be.  I presume if there is a God then he is an asshole nearly impossible to figure out with convoluted motives.  That is the absurdity of religion.  They usually give God really simple minded motivations.  It is like someone who just learned how the chess pieces moved trying to predict the moves of a grand master.  Don’t waste you time trying.

I thought hell was really dumb when I was in grade school.  So somebody commits murder.  So maybe they took 70 years of life form the victim.  It is not like they would have lived 10,000 years if they weren’t murdered.  But then the murder is supposed to get ETERNITY in Hell.  Take 70 years get eternity.  We are supposed to listen to people telling us that an all knowing, loving God is that dumb and can’t come up with something more rational?  YEAH RIGHT!

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 02 May 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 02 May 2012 06:20 PM

I don’t know IF there’s a chance that deity(s) exist. What I know is that there is no evidence one way or another where I could make a reasonable conclusion on the question.

The evidence that God doesn’t exist is as good as if I showed you my garage to prove to you that there is no dragon. You can obviously answer that “there is no evidence one way or another” since the dragon can be invisible. At that point, however, our conversation is over…unless you decide to lie down on a couch while I sit in my armchair, light my cigar and listen to whatever other interesting observations you may come up with.  cheese

Posted: 02 May 2012 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 02 May 2012 06:20 PM

I don’t think the topic here is if we care that God exists—whatever that’s supposed to mean. Somebody who agrees with #4, agrees that the chances of God existing (or not) are 50/50.

Actually I don’t. I don’t know IF there’s a chance that deity(s) exist. What I know is that there is no evidence one way or another where I could make a reasonable conclusion on the question.

Do you have enough evidence to make a reasonable conclusion concerning the existence of leprechauns and unicorns?

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 03 May 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

Do you have enough evidence to make a reasonable conclusion concerning the existence of leprechauns and unicorns?

I would think that you would find some trace in the fossil record and there isn’t any.

The whole problem with the god thing is that nobody can even agree on what it is. (Only that the other side is wrong and will forever Buuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnn in Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

They can have it. I’m not interested.

If an omnipotant being exists, then s/he/it can have a word with me anytime s/he/it likes without any need of clergy who will pick my pocket and try to dictate the terms of my sex life under colour of divine authority.

If s/he/it doesn’t exist, then there’s just nothing to talk about.

Signature 

4 of 6