5 of 6
Poll
Are You a Believer? Take The Dawkins Test
1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists. 0
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he 1
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God. 0
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable. 1
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical. 1
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumptio 24
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God. 11
Total Votes: 38
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Rate yourself on the Dawkins scale
Posted: 03 May 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6120
Joined  2009-02-26

Define God and I’ll be able to answer the questionaire.

It is somewhat like asking the answer to an algebraic equation without any defined values.

But I can offer a defined value : where god = a non sentient potential

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 May 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 03 May 2012 03:25 PM

Do you have enough evidence to make a reasonable conclusion concerning the existence of leprechauns and unicorns?

I would think that you would find some trace in the fossil record and there isn’t any.

The whole problem with the god thing is that nobody can even agree on what it is. (Only that the other side is wrong and will forever Buuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnn in Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

They can have it. I’m not interested.

If an omnipotant being exists, then s/he/it can have a word with me anytime s/he/it likes without any need of clergy who will pick my pocket and try to dictate the terms of my sex life under colour of divine authority.

If s/he/it doesn’t exist, then there’s just nothing to talk about.

I don’t have any problems with the apathetic agnostic position. In fact, I believe it’s quite reasonable. I was only responding to your comment that there is no available evidence to draw a reasonable conclusion about the existence of god. I was curious about what your standards of evidence are, so I wanted to see how your mindset applies when speaking of other mythological/supernatural claims.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 04 May 2012 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I was only responding to your comment that there is no available evidence to draw a reasonable conclusion about the existence of god.

There isn’t, but I’m not coming to that conclusion for the reasons you might think but because nobody can even agree on what it is that defines godhood.

If you go for the pantheist arguement…that “God” is all things and the totality of all the matter and energy in the universe…I can make the case for the existance of that “God” (Why anybody would deify the universe, I don’t know but it’s there.)

Until there’s some agreement on what it is that defines what it is to be a god, then as far as I’m concerned, there’s just nothing to discuss.

And for the record, I do NOT believe in the supernatural. If there is/are any god/gods or any other entity, superbeing or not, then it is a part of nature and subject to natural laws.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 04 May 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  3195
Joined  2011-11-04
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 04 May 2012 01:39 AM

I was only responding to your comment that there is no available evidence to draw a reasonable conclusion about the existence of god.

There isn’t, but I’m not coming to that conclusion for the reasons you might think but because nobody can even agree on what it is that defines godhood.

If you go for the pantheist arguement…that “God” is all things and the totality of all the matter and energy in the universe…I can make the case for the existance of that “God” (Why anybody would deify the universe, I don’t know but it’s there.)

Until there’s some agreement on what it is that defines what it is to be a god, then as far as I’m concerned, there’s just nothing to discuss.

And for the record, I do NOT believe in the supernatural. If there is/are any god/gods or any other entity, superbeing or not, then it is a part of nature and subject to natural laws.

EOC, Thanks for defending the agnostic position, despite that your non-traditional definition of a possible god, would probably qualify you as an atheist, I think.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 04 May 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-05-03

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.    0  
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he   0  
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.    0  
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.    1  
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.    0  
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumptio   20  
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

8. I am God.

Posted: 04 May 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  3195
Joined  2011-11-04
TenFold - 04 May 2012 12:15 PM

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.    0  
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he   0  
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.    1  
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.    0  
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumptio   20  

8. I am God.

Do you question your own existence?

And as a general follow up question: WTF have you been thinking!??!

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 04 May 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

8. I am God.

What’s it like being god?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 04 May 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

8. I am God.

Shouldn’t “I am God” be 0?

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 04 May 2012 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-05-03
mid atlantic - 04 May 2012 12:40 PM

8. I am God.

What’s it like being god?

It used to be lonely but now I see the humor.

Posted: 04 May 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-11-04

The premise that god(s) may exist outside of current knowledge is simply too weak to support. Such weak propositions are a dime a dozen and not worth a 2013 Canadian penny. There is zero evidence for the existence of such, and imagining god(s) is only evidence that god(s) can be imagined.
There is no god without evidence and imagination cannot change that.

The correct response is: 7

Posted: 05 May 2012 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-05-04

Def of God: Creator

That simple.

Dave

Posted: 05 May 2012 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Total Posts:  6120
Joined  2009-02-26
canuckzap - 05 May 2012 12:35 AM

That simple.

Dave

Sentient?  Intentional?  Intelligent?  Emotional?  Mathematical?  Implaccable?  Still existing?  Supernatural?  Metaphysical?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 05 May 2012 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15398
Joined  2006-02-14
Write4U - 05 May 2012 02:44 AM

That simple.

Dave

Sentient?  Intentional?  Intelligent?  Emotional?  Mathematical?  Implaccable?  Still existing?  Supernatural?  Metaphysical?

CERN creates all kinds of particles in their experiments. CERN is God.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 May 2012 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

That simple.

Dave

Many would disagree that it’s that simple Dave.  A definition of god can include almost anything.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 May 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 05 May 2012 03:29 AM
Write4U - 05 May 2012 02:44 AM

That simple.

Dave

CERN creates all kinds of particles in their experiments. CERN is God.

Yeah, they create them and then quickly lose them. If you want to be God you have to be able to use those particles to make an apple pie.  cheese

5 of 6