6 of 6
Poll
Are You a Believer? Take The Dawkins Test
1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists. 0
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he 1
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God. 0
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable. 1
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical. 1
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumptio 24
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God. 11
Total Votes: 38
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Rate yourself on the Dawkins scale
Posted: 05 May 2012 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

EOC, Thanks for defending the agnostic position, despite that your non-traditional definition of a possible god, would probably qualify you as an atheist, I think.

I think that in a very literal sense, you would be correct in that I lack a belief in deity.

In the end, it’s not any deity I’m hostile to. It’s really a waste of time to be hostile to something which either doesn’t exist or which obviously doesn’t give a flying flip about us if it does. What I’m hostile to is religion, notably the organized variaty which as far as I’m concerned, is the most damaging moneymaking and power grubbing scam in history.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 10 May 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-05-09

I went with 6. It describes me pretty well. Agnostic atheist: Don’t believe a deity exists, and operate under the assumption that none does, but can’t deny it’s a possibility that one could.

I believe that certainty is asymptotic - increasingly approachable via skeptical inquiry, but never fully reachable. That puts #7 out of bounds for me.

I also believe that the nonexistence of evidence is not the same thing as evidence of nonexistence.

Therefore, while the world is devoid of any evidence for the existence of any deities as conceived in any of the various spiritual traditions I’m aware of… AND while the mythology underlying those traditions are rife with internal contradictions and, at best, tortured logic… AND while it seems so apparent that the deities in these traditions were crafted in the image of humans (rather than the other way around) and in such as way as to be psychologically compelling and tantalizing to humanity… that still doesn’t PROVE that there is no deity. It just makes it appear terribly unlikely that there is one.

Posted: 11 May 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Well said, Maswah.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 11 May 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Depends what you mean by “well.” He did explain his position, hmm, eloquently, but he’s still wrong.

Posted: 11 May 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Interesting that those at BOTH ends of the spectrum KNOW that no other position has the slighest possibility of being acceptable.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 May 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-09
George - 11 May 2012 12:47 PM

Depends what you mean by “well.” He did explain his position, hmm, eloquently, but he’s still wrong.

Thank you, George, for showing me the error of my ways through your thorough and thoughtful critique.

Posted: 12 May 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

My reasoning is the same as yours, Maswah.  While I don’t agree with the absolutist position, as I recall. DarronS and Daddyhominum did give fairly decent arguments for it in earlier posts.  The difference seems to be whether one does or doesn’t round off a probability of ten to the minus whatever to zero.  Those who do, choose 7.  Those of us who don’t, choose 6.

Occam

[ Edited: 12 May 2012 02:49 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 May 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2011-09-13
dougsmith - 09 April 2012 08:33 AM

None of these is quite right for me; they all depend on dicey interpretations. But I suppose I’d fall somewhere between 6 and 7.

(Also, I think the strongest atheist position shouldn’t be described as “100% certain”, whatever that means, but rather that the existence of God is logically impossible, i.e. the concept “God” implies a contradiction. I don’t think this is correct, but I know there are some atheists who’ve claimed to believe it).

I won’t argue with Dawhins on his wording but in reality I think more like an agnostic but going by his definitions I would rate myself as a 6.

Posted: 12 May 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Maswah - 11 May 2012 04:53 PM

Thank you, George, for showing me the error of my ways through your thorough and thoughtful critique.

My critique was directed at Tim, not you.

I am not going to ctiticize you for your beliefs. Anyone who thinks he is a 6 when it comes to God, but 7 when the existence of Santa is questioned, is making stuff up—just like the theists. But to each his own.

Posted: 12 May 2012 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-09
George - 12 May 2012 07:29 PM

I am not going to ctiticize you for your beliefs. Anyone who thinks he is a 6 when it comes to God, but 7 when the existence of Santa is questioned, is making stuff up—just like the theists. But to each his own.

I was being sarcastic. To simply declare me to be “wrong” (without having the courtesy to address the comment to me directly, by the way) without the slightest elaboration is frivolous. To then come back and say, “I’m not going to criticize you for your beliefs”, then to do precisely that with another frivolous comment, is just plain obnoxious.

As I said in my post, as a scientific skeptic, I do not believe in 100% certainty, period. Therefore, I would not choose 7 on your hypothetical santa scale either. YOU were the one who pulled that out of the air. So, who’s making stuff up now, “like the theists”?

Posted: 13 May 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 12 May 2012 07:29 PM

I stand by my praise of Maswah’s post and am undeterred by your critique.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

6 of 6