1 of 36
A pragmatic discussion about free will
Posted: 11 April 2012 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I intentionally posted this in the Humanism forum rather than the Philosophy forum because I want this discussion to be pragmatic rather than philosophical. My question is this:

Does it really matter to my everyday life if human free will technically exists or not? And if so, how?

My feeling at this point is that it does not matter. Whether my actions are predetermined or not, I operate from the perspective that my actions are my own responsibility.

Thoughts?

[EDIT: given the progress of this thread, I’ve moved it to Philosophy. Sorry! dougsmith—Admin]

[ Edited: 16 April 2012 04:34 AM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 April 2012 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

It only matters to the extent that a person wastes time thinking about it.  smile

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 11 April 2012 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

It matters to the law whether or not an action was your responsibility. Notions of personal responsibility just are notions of free action.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 April 2012 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
dougsmith - 11 April 2012 04:56 AM

It matters to the law whether or not an action was your responsibility. Notions of personal responsibility just are notions of free action.

Are you saying that, if in fact there is no free will, then no one is responsible for their actions and therefore cannot be held accountable?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

If I kill somebody while sleepwalking or because of a tumor in my brain making me behave like a psychopath, there is a chance of correcting that through a medical treatment. If successful, such a person doesn’t need to be locked away. If, however, the underlying cause cannot be treated, then that person cannot remain free. It then comes down to the same result of locking him up with the difference of “protecting the rest of society from his violent behaviour” to “punishing him for his violent behaviour.”

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
FreeInKy - 11 April 2012 05:37 AM
dougsmith - 11 April 2012 04:56 AM

Are you saying that, if in fact there is no free will, then no one is responsible for their actions and therefore cannot be held accountable?

If there were no free will, then there would be no sense to be made of responsibility. But there is in fact a notion of responsibility that we know quite well: causal responsibility. This is the way to a reasoned notion of free will. (Obviously, in the case of freely willed actions, the causal picture will be more complex than it would be with billiard balls).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
dougsmith - 11 April 2012 06:29 AM

If there were no free will, then there would be no sense to be made of responsibility.

Yet we might have no choice but to assign a sense to it - given that we have no free will.

Hey! I thought this was to avoid philosophy. (Although I don’t know how you possibly can since it is a philosophical concept to begin with.)

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, a toaster that keeps burning my toasts will end up in a garbage even though it may not have a free will. We lock up people because they are dangerous and throw our toasters away because they are useless. We make up our stories for why we punish people (i.e. “they are responsible for their actions”) just like we make up the existence of free will. Illusions can be practical even though they are mere illusions.

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

I guess that’s the heart of the issue, Traveler. Maybe the whole notion is just too fraught with philosophical overtones. Me, I’m a pragmatist.

I still tend to think that the question has little relevance to every day life. Much like the other “big questions” of philosophy.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 11 April 2012 06:53 AM

We make up our stories for why we punish people (i.e. “they are responsible for their actions”) just like we make up the existence of free will.

Um, causal responsibility is not a made up notion. It’s a basic part of physics, chemistry and biology.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
FreeInKy - 11 April 2012 06:55 AM

I guess that’s the heart of the issue, Traveler. Maybe the whole notion is just too fraught with philosophical overtones. Me, I’m a pragmatist.

I still tend to think that the question has little relevance to every day life. Much like the other “big questions” of philosophy.

OK, so you seem to be asking kind of a meta-philosophical question: of what use is philosophy?

Sure, you can live your life very well without investigating any of these things with any depth or seriousness. But that doesn’t mean that you aren’t in so doing simply accepting one or another account. It’s like math: you don’t need to understand complex mathematics to live a complete life. But much of what you do depends upon it in one way or another.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 April 2012 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 11 April 2012 06:55 AM

We make up our stories for why we punish people (i.e. “they are responsible for their actions”) just like we make up the existence of free will.

Um, causal responsibility is not a made up notion. It’s a basic part of physics, chemistry and biology.

Of course it’s not made up. That’s why malfunctioning toasters burn toasts and violent people commit violent acts. It’s just that we don’t say that we are punishing our toaster when throwing it away due to its “behaviour.” We do, however, make up these sorts of stories when it comes to people.

[ Edited: 11 April 2012 07:14 AM by George ]

Posted: 11 April 2012 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
dougsmith - 11 April 2012 06:58 AM

Sure, you can live your life very well without investigating any of these things with any depth or seriousness. But that doesn’t mean that you aren’t in so doing simply accepting one or another account. It’s like math: you don’t need to understand complex mathematics to live a complete life. But much of what you do depends upon it in one way or another.

I like that, I think. The only thing that seems incongruent (to use a math term) between the two is that mathematics can clearly be shown to be attached to the physical world. Philosophy is not even “sure” what that means.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2012 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
traveler - 11 April 2012 07:14 AM
dougsmith - 11 April 2012 06:58 AM

I like that, I think. The only thing that seems incongruent (to use a math term) between the two is that mathematics can clearly be shown to be attached to the physical world. Philosophy is not even “sure” what that means.

Exactly. I don’t mean to rag on philosophy. I know many here—especially you Doug—are very devoted to it. When I say that it is not something I see a lot of practical value in, I don’t mean to dismiss it’s pursuit altogether. It’s just not something I have much interest in. And while I also don’t understand complex math, I very much see the benefits of it. I don’t, in the same way, see the practical benefits of knowing whether or not free will exists.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 11 April 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 11 April 2012 07:12 AM
dougsmith - 11 April 2012 06:55 AM

Of course it’s not made up. That’s why malfunctioning toasters burn toasts and violent people commit violent acts. It’s just that we don’t say that we are punishing our toaster when throwing it away due to its “behaviour.” We do, however, make up these sorts of stories when it comes to people.

Well, since the toaster lacks a rational faculty, it can’t comprehend that if it burns your toast it might have to endure punishment, and so a credible threat of punishment is no incentive to the toaster not to burn your toast.

People, OTOH, do make such calculations. So to that extent, a credible threat of punishment can be effective in modifying behavior.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 11 April 2012 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
traveler - 11 April 2012 07:14 AM

The only thing that seems incongruent (to use a math term) between the two is that mathematics can clearly be shown to be attached to the physical world. Philosophy is not even “sure” what that means.

I don’t understand what you’re after here. If philosophy is about anything it’s about the world we live in.

Signature 

Doug

1 of 36