4 of 4
Hate crimes legislation?
Posted: 18 April 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2011-08-15

The swastika, nicht hakenkreus, is found universally in cultures throught the World. Here derives from the Mississippian Culture and was known as the whirling logs. These represented the four directions. Fire logs were laid out in a pattern in the center of a ceremonial ground. It is etched into shells in a mirror pattern (backwards from the NAZI symbol) and may be older than the culture itself. Hitler may have seen the symbol used in the military in World War I as well. SOme German pilots used a form of the swastika on their fusalages as their personal symbols (See Werner Voss’s Albatros). Whatever, the NAZIS ruined it as a religious symbol. It will now forever be a symbol of hatred.

http://paula-i-nielson.suite101.com/swastika-an-ancient-symbol-found-worldwide-a227176

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 April 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

The Nazis might have ruined it as a religious symbol, but they surely did a great job redesigning it. As far as symbols and logos go, it doesn’t get much better than the Nazi swastika: black cross (on an angle!) within a white circle against a red background…it’s scary and beautiful at the same time.

Posted: 18 April 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

George you’re not going to break out in singing “Die Fahne Hoch” now are you? Hitler chose those colors to emulate the Hohenzollern Imperial flag to show the transition of power. I think the current one, based on the 1848 revolt is purtier! “Durch nacht, und blut zum licht”.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 April 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

No, I am only judging it as a designer.

But I must confess to something: my grandfather had a book signed by Hitler and he hated the Nazis so much that he burned it. I often think about it and try to figure out if I would do the same. I am not so sure I would, knowing how much money I could get for it. What would you do? Would you destroy it or sell it?

Posted: 18 April 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
George - 18 April 2012 09:27 AM

But I must confess to something: my grandfather had a book signed by Hitler and he hated the Nazis so much that he burned it. I often think about it and try to figure out if I would do the same. I am not so sure I would, knowing how much money I could get for it. What would you do? Would you destroy it or sell it?

Good question. How about this: sell it for as much as you could get and donate the proceeds to the Jewish Anti-Defamation League!  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 18 April 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I’m a collector so the answer is sell it, although the market may be limited now. Ebay is restricting the sale of most NAZI memorabilia including banners, decals or other items displaying the swastika. I can understand your grandfather’s reasoning however as he had a personal involvement in WW II.  A handsigned book would sell for 100’s now but that depends on the book. “Mein Kampf” might go for a lot more than a Hitler cook book if you know what I mean. World war II memorabilia is becoming harder to collect now that the vets are dying off at 1,100 a day so the prices will soon skyrocket.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 April 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Hitler’s cook book?  LOL How about this recipe I came up with for an alphabet soup? It’s vegetarian, of course.

2i91swo.png

Posted: 18 April 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

LOL heil tomato soup!

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 April 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  2671
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 18 April 2012 01:18 PM

Hitler’s cook book?  LOL How about this recipe I came up with for an alphabet soup? It’s vegetarian, of course.

2i91swo.png

LMAO LOL

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

4 of 4