3 of 3
Hello from Carlisle
Posted: 17 April 2012 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2888
Joined  2011-08-15

Yep, they had an influence on Ben Franklin who studied their culture and political structure. Even though the six nations were all but destroyed there are remnants of the longhouse still functioning. The Mohawks have dual citizenship in the U.S. and Canada. Thier elders can still interpret the wampum belts both historic and political (treaty). Some of the originals date into the 1600’s. I make reproductions of some, mainly from peoples in our area, ex. Miamis, Delaware (Lenape) and Cherokee (Anyi yv wi ah).

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 April 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2012-04-14
Thevillageatheist - 17 April 2012 05:20 PM

My great-grandmother was, and I hate to use the expression, a full blood. Dad’s one quarter. Even though I never knew her, my grandmother did and told me about her when I was young. We often visited Cherokee country (N.C.) and I learned about the language and culture there and from Eastern and Western Cherokees that I met while in college. Knew some Iroquois too, mainly Mohawks from akwesasne near Rooseveltown, N.Y. I was also involved in AIM back in the day as the kids say.

Cap’t Jack

I taught in an Ojibway First Nations community for a year, and had lunch with them every day.  I also socialized with some of them on occasion, not too often because I went home four hours drive every weekend.

I have learned about the Ojibways’ lifestyle, beliefs, history, and some words.  That was a long time ago, but it is all fresh in my memory as if it was yesterday.

I always wanted to learn to hunt, fish, and gather wild food as natives knew how.  I am going to try to learn those skills from natives who still know how when my children are grown up and independent.  I would consider it the most valuable knowledge of my life.

That way of life existed in North America for millennia before the Europeans destroyed it systematically.  Still learned and maintain certain wisdom from those early natives.  We learned about acetylsalicylic acid, A.S.A., as well as about democratic politics.  That is why the word caucus from the Algonquin word cau´-cau-as´u, came into common political parlance in North America.

Signature 

mens sana in corpore sano

Posted: 17 April 2012 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-14
Write4U - 17 April 2012 05:27 PM

Few people know the contribution the Iroquoi nations made to the concept of “one man, one vote” in the Constitution.

The Six Nations:
Oldest Living Participatory Democracy on Earth

http://www.ratical.org/many_worlds/6Nations/

I believe that to be the inspiration and the major reason for our choice of politics in North America.

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2012 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I taught in an Ojibway First Nations community for a year, and had lunch with them every day.  I also socialized with some of them on occasion, not too often because I went home four hours drive every weekend.

I have learned about the Ojibways’ lifestyle, beliefs, history, and some words.  That was a long time ago, but it is all fresh in my memory as if it was yesterday.

I always wanted to learn to hunt, fish, and gather wild food as natives knew how.  I am going to try to learn those skills from natives who still know how when my children are grown up and independent.  I would consider it the most valuable knowledge of my life.

That way of life existed in North America for millennia before the Europeans destroyed it systematically.  Still learned and maintain certain wisdom from those early natives.  We learned about acetylsalicylic acid, A.S.A., as well as about democratic politics.  That is why the word caucus from the Algonquin word cau´-cau-as´u, came into common political parlance in North America.

Teaching in a reservation school was my goal in college but my wife and I married right out of school and I found a local teaching job. I became heavily involved in Indian causes then, headed a CETA program to find jobs, training and services for Indians in the 44 lower counties of Ohio. Many of us joined later joined AIM and worked with their leaders as well, many from off the reservations in the West. Through the years I learned native crafts and a few skills., most of which from a naturalist friend of mine, not Indian. He was raised on a farm in Pulaski County, Ky. and his mother taught him all the native plants and how to survive in the wild. Much of what I learned from him the People told me was correct from their background. I also learned the uses of native plants from my maternal grandmother. She would go to the riverbank in the Spring and pick the edible plants for salads. Much of what the whites in this area knew they learned from those Natives who intermarried with them, even their folk stories are Native in origin.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 April 2012 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Oh, forgot to ask, where were was the Ojibway Res. you taught located? In canada? We used to visit an Ojibway community on Lake Haughton, Mich. Learned pipe making there and attended a sweat lodge. Great people, but Algonkian!  grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 April 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-14
Thevillageatheist - 18 April 2012 05:27 AM

Oh, forgot to ask, where were was the Ojibway Res. you taught located? In canada? We used to visit an Ojibway community on Lake Haughton, Mich. Learned pipe making there and attended a sweat lodge. Great people, but Algonkian!  grin

Cap’t Jack

We don’t call them “reservations”.  That word has a derogatory connotation here in Canada.  We call them Communities of First Nations. I was at Shawanaga Community of First Nations, half way between Parry Sound and Point of Barril, Ontario.  The Canadian film “Dance me outside” was partly filmed there.

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

QFK,

What soccer team do you coach? It’s not the Burlington rep, is it?

Posted: 24 April 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-14
George - 24 April 2012 05:21 PM

QFK,

What soccer team do you coach? It’s not the Burlington rep, is it?

I used to live in Burlington, and I coached in Burlington for a number of years.  My boys are elite athletes and BYSC became “tool small” for them, so I took them to Erin Mills where I coached as well.  Now, I am becoming “too small” a coach for my boys.  The oldest one just came from playing a season with a professional club in Europe and the youngest one is in a team with two professional coaches.

I am now coaching my middle son who I had neglected, soccer wise, because I started coaching the youngest when the oldest was too good for my abilities.

Do you coach at BYSC? If so, which team? If you do, you might know who I am already:)

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

That’s great, QOK! You must be proud.

I only coached my boys when they were playing for the Oakville house league a few years back. When we moved to Burlington my middle son decided to switch to the Burlington house league, hoping he’ll get to play at BYSC. He tried to get in last year but he didn’t make it; they must have had hundreds of kids trying out and accepting only about 40, IIRC. Crazy stuff. He is going to play the house league again this summer and try for the rep in the fall. Any advice on what I could do to help him get in?

Posted: 24 April 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-14
George - 24 April 2012 06:25 PM

That’s great, QOK! You must be proud.

I only coached my boys when they were playing for the Oakville house league a few years back. When we moved to Burlington my middle son decided to switch to the Burlington house league, hoping he’ll get to play at BYSC. He tried to get in last year but he didn’t make it; they must have had hundreds of kids trying out and accepting only about 40, IIRC. Crazy stuff. He is going to play the house league again this summer and try for the rep in the fall. Any advice on what I could do to help him get in?

The first word of advice would be keep him away from house league as soon as he has any competitive team.  In my opinion house league does nothing but create bad habits all around. The coaching is usually mediocre and most importantly the caliber of his mates will be mediocre and both will bring his game down.

I would suggest contacting Sigma Sports Academy http://www.sigma-sports.net/ , Bryst Academy http://www.brystinternational.com/, and/or 1V1 Soccer http://www.1v1soccer.ca/, in order of caliber.  They have summer camps during the month of July and they will give your sons the tools to challenge any rep team.

I would also suggest that you do not give up on your son getting into a rep team this season.  There are teams still looking for players.  You can look at Milton Magic, Flamborough S.C., Oakville S.C., etc depending on his age.  The younger they are, the more impediments clubs place on playing for children outside the community.

I might be able to tell you where he might be able to play if you tell me his age and if you are willing to take him there.

[ Edited: 24 April 2012 07:06 PM by Quest of Knowledge ]
 Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

He’s turning nine. I don’t think getting onto the Oakville team would be any easier, but I know nothing about the teams in Flamborough or Milton. Which one of the two do you recommend we try?

Posted: 24 April 2012 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-14
George - 24 April 2012 07:08 PM

He’s turning nine. I don’t think getting onto the Oakville team would be any easier, but I know nothing about the teams in Flamborough or Milton. Which one of the two do you recommend we try?

Neither.  Your son’s age is perfect and you can do much better for him than either of those or BYSC.  There are no competitive leagues in Ontario at this age, the only reason they did not take your son is because BYSC is at capacity.  The OSA has adopted the Long Term Player Development, LTPD, model and your son would have no problem enrolling at this time.

Here is the email address of Vipeen Hatolkar, the BU9 manager at Erin Mills Soccer Club, EMSC:vipeen.hatolkar@gmail.com.  Erin Mills S.C. is about 20 minutes from your place.  Erin Mills has been ranked #1 in Ontario by the Terra ranking 5 years in a row because they have the best program. There has been some politics amongst some of the parents and some have left, and that has made room for your son:)

Send Vipeen an email letting him know that you would like your son to join.  If you’d like, I can let Vipeen know that you will be contacting him.

I would still enroll your son in the Sigma and or the Bryst camps in July.

I hope this helps.

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Thanks for your help! I’ll discuss it with my wife to see what she thinks. Thanks again.

Posted: 24 April 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-14
George - 24 April 2012 08:02 PM

Thanks for your help! I’ll discuss it with my wife to see what she thinks. Thanks again.

You are welcome.

Signature 

3 of 3