Astrologers Predict Great Things for 1929!
Posted: 14 April 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2012-02-02

From the Smithsonian’s Paleofuture Blog:

The bubble burst on that day and though things would level off a bit on Friday, the market again went into free fall when it opened on Monday, October 28. The next day would become known as Black Tuesday when the market lost 11 percent of its value immediately upon opening. The rest is Great Depression history.

It’s curious then to note an article in the December 30, 1928 issue of the Ogden Standard-Examiner from Ogden, Utah which foresaw a different vision for 1929.

With the headline “Prosperity Paramount in 1929 Astrologers Forecast” the newspaper printed the predictions of astrologers from the year 1928 who insist that, though 1929 might start out a bit rocky — continuing the normal run of disasters, fears and everyday awfulness which have plagued humanity since the dawn of time, I suppose — it will be remembered as a year of prosperity for all.

Whoops!  [Maxwell Smart] Missed it by that much! [/MS]  LOL

Posted: 15 April 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

LOL

I love paleofuture, BTW. Great site.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 April 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

When i was in High school I used to make a point of buying the end of the year edition of the national enquirer, the one where they have the predictions for the upcoming year. Then I would put it away and save it for the following year when i would take it out and we would read the predictions for the year that had just passed at our new years eve party. I actually stole the idea from Johnny Carson but it was always good for a lot of laughs reading the bold predictions of things that never happened.

It was even funnier to read about the claims the psychics had about their past successes because I had the previous years Inquirer and usually the things they claimed to have predicted correctly the previous year were suspiciously absent from the previous years list of predictions or required a very liberal interpretation of what they had actually said in order to consider the prediction “correct”.  Of course they conveniently forgot to mention all the things they had gotten wrong.

[ Edited: 15 April 2012 10:19 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 15 April 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I miss those old rags! I used them to teach my sons critical thinking. We would discuss the outlandish claims on the cover while standing in line at the supermarket. I would encourage them to work out for themselves why the claims were not possibly true. The game started after one son noticed a cover where it said something about a woman giving birth to a monkey and asked me questions. I think he was about 8 or 10 at the time. Some of the claims were actually true, and I let them figure those out too!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 April 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
asanta - 15 April 2012 02:52 PM

I miss those old rags! I used them to teach my sons critical thinking. We would discuss the outlandish claims on the cover while standing in line at the supermarket. I would encourage them to work out for themselves why the claims were not possibly true. The game started after one son noticed a cover where it said something about a woman giving birth to a monkey and asked me questions. I think he was about 8 or 10 at the time. Some of the claims were actually true, and I let them figure those out too!

I always found the Enquirer type rags entertaining.  My favorite headline from an article, that I recall was “Crazed Cannibal Plans to Cook Nixon”.  I showed it to a friend and he said “Hmm… I’d like to get that recipe.”

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.