RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 16 April 2012 09:24 PM

Quoting Traveler,

And I would do the same if I was still using my 300 baud modem

Hey, that speed pretty well describes my ancient neural processors.  LOL

Occam

Thought you’d appreciate that. I know you said that you have a slow internet connection. But I think your brain is still quite fast!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 17 April 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17

Wow! That’s cool.

Thevillageatheist - 15 April 2012 04:50 PM

Which leads me to ask a question I’ve wanted to ask for the last 7 months. How the hell do you guys find the time to read and absorb not only these posts but the amount of material everyone seems to read in such a short span of time??? <snip>

For me, it just happened… I had been wanting to read more, but didn’t really seem to have the time. However, the guys I used to have lunch with at work left the company or are unavailable most of the time. So I started sitting at a table by myself and reading through lunch. I also tend to read a bit after the kids have gone to bed.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 17 April 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3216
Joined  2011-08-15

For me, it just happened… I had been wanting to read more, but didn’t really seem to have the time. However, the guys I used to have lunch with at work left the company or are unavailable most of the time. So I started sitting at a table by myself and reading through lunch. I also tend to read a bit after the kids have gone to bed.

Take care,

Derek

Man that brings back memories! When ours were small I started reading Sagan at night and couldn’t stop. “The Dragons of Eden” was the first with many more to follow. As they grew, however, my reading time shrank. I’ m a slow reader anyway and it takes up all of my free time still. The Kindle helps and it links with my I-pad so I can pick up where I left off practically anywhere in the house. Every time I finally finish one somebody posts “here’s one you should read” so I download that one and so far everyone of them has been enlightening. Damn good stuff!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 April 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 17 April 2012 06:19 PM

Man that brings back memories! When ours were small I started reading Sagan at night and couldn’t stop. “The Dragons of Eden” was the first with many more to follow. As they grew, however, my reading time shrank. I’ m a slow reader anyway and it takes up all of my free time still. The Kindle helps and it links with my I-pad so I can pick up where I left off practically anywhere in the house. Every time I finally finish one somebody posts “here’s one you should read” so I download that one and so far everyone of them has been enlightening. Damn good stuff!

Cap’t Jack

Funny… Even though I’m a computer ‘guy’, I haven’t really switched to electronic books. But I should as it would save a ton of bookshelf space. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 18 April 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Funny… Even though I’m a computer ‘guy’, I haven’t really switched to electronic books. But I should as it would save a ton of bookshelf space

My kids bought me the Kindle last xmas and so far I’ve downloaded some 35 books and all in the palm of my hand! I had so many books in my room that they were setting on the floor so I cleared them out and donated them to the community college library where I teach. This past xmas my wife bought me the i-pad and by downloading the books from the kindle I can read and research at the same time. How convenient. I-pad has an instant dictionary so all you have to do is touch the word and the definition appears at the bottom of the screen. Fantastic and I’m not a tekkie!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 18 April 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Thevillageatheist - 18 April 2012 11:59 AM

My kids bought me the Kindle last xmas and so far I’ve downloaded some 35 books and all in the palm of my hand! I had so many books in my room that they were setting on the floor so I cleared them out and donated them to the community college library where I teach. This past xmas my wife bought me the i-pad and by downloading the books from the kindle I can read and research at the same time. How convenient. I-pad has an instant dictionary so all you have to do is touch the word and the definition appears at the bottom of the screen. Fantastic and I’m not a tekkie!

We have a first generation iPad. However, it’s rare that mom or dad get to use it because the kids always seem to be playing Angry Birds. smile I do have a few books on my iPhone. Funny is that I only ever read on the iPhone when I’ve forgotten to bring a book or magazine.

One of the things that’s kept me from adding a lot of books is the 1st gen. iPad is a bit heavy. So I’m not sure how comfortable it will be for reading. Hmm… Although I wonder how it’s weight compares to a 300-400 page hard back? (Now, I’ve got a project when I get home. :D)

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 18 April 2012 12:55 PM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Thevillageatheist - 18 April 2012 11:59 AM

We have a first generation iPad. However, it’s rare that mom or dad get to use it because the kids always seem to be playing Angry Birds.  I do have a few books on my iPhone. Funny is that I only ever read on the iPhone when I’ve forgotten to bring a book or magazine.

One of the things that’s kept me from adding a lot of books is the 1st gen. iPad is a bit heavy. So I’m not sure how comfortable it will be for reading. Hmm… Although I wonder how it’s weight compares to a 300-400 page hard back? (Now, I’ve got a project when I get home. :D)

Take care,

Derek

I have an I-pad 2 and is easily hand held. I’m using it now and typing one handed. Yes, we have the same problem with our granddaughters who play several games that my wife downloaded and are linked to mine. Swampy, angry birds, fruit ninja to name a few. So when they visit that’s the first thing they ask for. You really ought to get one Derek and hope that you get to use it!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

2 of 2