4 of 4
I’m new here. I’m from western New York, and an atheist.
Posted: 21 April 2012 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Again, you can’t compare my children with children in Africa. What you have to look at is the situation in Africa today (which is still very bad) vs. the past.

According to the data in the following link, the well-being of children in Africa is improving:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2292/

Posted: 21 April 2012 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I should have said that infant mortality has decreased, not the overall well-being. I’ll try to look up some other information when I have more time.

Posted: 21 April 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2012-04-18
George - 21 April 2012 01:12 PM

I should have said that infant mortality has decreased, not the overall well-being. I’ll try to look up some other information when I have more time.

You’re right on that one. And the result is extensive killing off of the wildlife due to increasing population and the need to find places for the new people to live.

Posted: 22 April 2012 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  2676
Joined  2011-04-24
attaboy - 21 April 2012 05:44 AM
mid atlantic - 21 April 2012 02:11 AM
attaboy - 21 April 2012 01:22 AM
Mriana - 20 April 2012 09:39 PM

Welcome to CFI boards, attaboy.  Glad to have you here.

Thanks for the welcome, Mriana. But I don’t know how much longer I will be coming here. What I’ve experienced so far is largely both discouraging and depressing. I thought that if there was any forum where I’d encounter intelligent critical thought it would be in a forum sponsored by Center for Inquiry. To be kind, let’s just say it has not been that way. I can’t understand why some of the mentalities I’ve encountered on this board would want to be in a forum like this in the first place. I won’t say anymore just as I’m not going to respond further to the “mindsets” I’ve run into here.

Uh-huh.  Are you a college student?

Uh- No. Why do you need to know?

Just wondering.  I thought you were close to sloganeering your responses: a typical college student tactic.  Sorry for being a pr**k.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 April 2012 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2012-04-18
mid atlantic - 22 April 2012 03:44 AM
attaboy - 21 April 2012 05:44 AM
mid atlantic - 21 April 2012 02:11 AM
attaboy - 21 April 2012 01:22 AM
Mriana - 20 April 2012 09:39 PM

Welcome to CFI boards, attaboy.  Glad to have you here.

Thanks for the welcome, Mriana. But I don’t know how much longer I will be coming here. What I’ve experienced so far is largely both discouraging and depressing. I thought that if there was any forum where I’d encounter intelligent critical thought it would be in a forum sponsored by Center for Inquiry. To be kind, let’s just say it has not been that way. I can’t understand why some of the mentalities I’ve encountered on this board would want to be in a forum like this in the first place. I won’t say anymore just as I’m not going to respond further to the “mindsets” I’ve run into here.

Uh-huh.  Are you a college student?

Uh- No. Why do you need to know?

Just wondering.  I thought you were close to sloganeering your responses: a typical college student tactic.  Sorry for being a pr**k.

Actually, I spent a lot of time in colleges and universities. But that was a long time ago. Still, I probably use some tactics I picked up there even now. I had to look up sloganeering and didn’t think I was doing that. But if whatever I’m doing is annoying, or worse, then maybe I should try to mend my ways since its hard enough to be effective on a forum without annoying people.
If you’re truly a pr**k then I’m sorry too. But I really think you’re being too hard on yourself

Posted: 22 April 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

attaboy,

I am trying to argue in THIS thread why I believe we need more people, not less. I would be glad to hear your opinion—if you’re interested.

Posted: 22 April 2012 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Mid Atlantic, I realize you softened your question by your apology, but the idea of claiming responses were “sloganeering” is weird.  First, could you point out the specific response that you are referring to?  Second, I’m guessing that you may be implying A-B gave a succinct answer.  If that’s the case, I have to compliment Attaboy for thinking through his/her idea and summarizing it rather than posting a full page babble.  (Not that I’m claiming you do, M-A, but I’m sure you’ve seen examples of it.)

Occam

[ Edited: 22 April 2012 11:26 AM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 April 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Interesting concept and idea in that thread, George.  I’ll have to get back to it, consider it carefully, and respond this afternoon.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 April 2012 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  2676
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 22 April 2012 11:17 AM

Mid Atlantic, I realize you softened your question by your apology, but the idea of claiming responses were “sloganeering” is weird.  First, could you point out the specific response that you are referring to?  Second, I’m guessing that you may be implying A-B gave a succinct answer.  If that’s the case, I have to compliment Attaboy for thinking through his/her idea and summarizing it rather than posting a full page babble.  (Not that I’m claiming you do, M-A, but I’m sure you’ve seen examples of it.)

Occam

Nah, I wasn’t implying that attaboy was wrong if he/she was trying to be succinct.  By sloganeering, I mean making statements that are politically and/or emotionally stimulating, without going deeper into the issue. This response in particular http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewreply/157447/  I took to imply - “overpopulation is bad, and everyone who disagrees is wrong”.  I think I was mistaken though.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

4 of 4

‹‹ Hello from Carlisle      Hello from Kansas ››