1 of 3
Calm mind - heal body?
Posted: 25 April 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I’m running in my underwear this weekend for colon cancer research. Here is one of the mass emails from the colon cancer alliance to participants. LINK

I don’t mind the calm mind part, but the heal body part bugs me. It seems to be woo-full and offer false hope. If it helps a person maintain some peace and happiness near the end, then it probably does some good. I just wonder whether that trumps any false hope. Thoughts? MacGyver?

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 25 April 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

There’s been lots of research on this subject in form different angles ( ie’ the relationship between happiness and cancer or heart disease) but its difficult to do really good double blinded studies. Some of the research has seemed to show some benefits and others have not. Most of the studies are retrospective and very few use random assignment of subjects without which there is a strong probability that the results will be tainted by confounding variables. Most of the studies are just pure garbage though.

That being said there are at least two ways to look at this. On the one hand there may be little harm when you try to get people to have a positive outlook on life and even if their disease does not respond they may gain some other benefit from it ( like feeling less depressed). On the other hand you may give people false hope and when their cancer does not respond or they get cancer when they were trying to prevent it they may become even more despondent and hopeless than they otherwise would have.

I think the main problem I have with all of this is something I have complained in frequent and varied venues. Its the fact that the medical establishment is selling out science for the sake of profits. Even honored institutions like Harvard and Mass General have been “wooed” to the dark side and promote things that are unscientific which only further dumbs down the scientific literacy of this country.

If some new age motivational speaker wants to promote this stuff its one thing but I think its extremely unprofessional for the medical community to be doing it. Thats what happens though when the “suits” start calling the shots at hospitals. Now that most hospitals are part of big corporations its going to be happening more and more. I keep saying it but good medical care should give patients what they need and NOT what they want. Businesses need to have exactly the opposite philosophy. When hospitals become big business as they are these days one of these models has to be discarded and Im afraid the business model is the one thats winning.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 25 April 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

That’s too bad. I believe that the doctor-patient relationship is doomed under corporate models of profit. And that’s a huge statement given the importance of the doctor-patient relationship. I also believe that this is an area that suffers from a growing population. Health-service mills and too few beds for patients seem to be products of large populations.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 01 November 2012 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-11-01

I think that mind and body are interrelated in many aspects but that does not mean that it will always be in sync. I have a straight opinion, a healthy body is a healthy body and a healthy mind is the same. Do different things for both to keep them happy and []healthy[/url].

Edited to delete spam. I’m banning this account but leaving it up because of the interaction. dougsmith—Admin

[ Edited: 03 November 2012 05:45 AM by dougsmith ]

Posted: 01 November 2012 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

“She” is too cute not to be a spam.

Posted: 01 November 2012 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-01
George - 01 November 2012 04:46 AM

yeah and you are too monkey not to be a human

Posted: 01 November 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
comvita - 01 November 2012 05:43 AM

Well, at least my avatar’s name is not a name of a pet shop selling monkeys. You should get a real job, say, flipping burgers. Spamming is disgusting.

Posted: 01 November 2012 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-01
George - 01 November 2012 05:57 AM
comvita - 01 November 2012 05:43 AM

Well, at least my avatar’s name is not a name of a pet shop selling monkeys. You should get a real job, say, flipping burgers. Spamming is disgusting.

Who cares about your avatar name. I didn’t even bother to look at it and by the way your avatar tells me a lot about you, if you know what I mean. Don’t suggest me any jobs, anyways the things you suggested seems out of your personal experience. Don’t bother me, your replies mean nothing to me and the attempt to flirt was totally out of your league.

Posted: 01 November 2012 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Flirt? I don’t flirt with guys.  grin

Posted: 01 November 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-07-25

aw c’mon….aren’t you curious George ?

Posted: 01 November 2012 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-01
George - 01 November 2012 07:03 AM

Flirt? I don’t flirt with guys.  grin

yeah the urge and need of you to tell that in a public forum shows your real internal apathy. Duh!

Posted: 02 November 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

So what do you recommend to deal with that internal apathy problem of mine? A honey?  wink

Posted: 02 November 2012 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-11-01

Why don’t you ask your second dad? wink raspberry :D

Posted: 03 November 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Just to update for all those following at home: comvita was, pretty obviously, a spammer. The account has gone to spammer heaven.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 November 2012 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
traveler - 25 April 2012 11:04 AM

That’s too bad. I believe that the doctor-patient relationship is doomed under corporate models of profit. And that’s a huge statement given the importance of the doctor-patient relationship. I also believe that this is an area that suffers from a growing population. Health-service mills and too few beds for patients seem to be products of large populations.

It’s more a product of private enterprise medicine where profit is the motivating factor.  Unfortunately that’s the system we’re all saddled with in this country, with no end in sight.

Posted: 04 November 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
dougsmith - 03 November 2012 04:31 PM

Just to update for all those following at home: comvita was, pretty obviously, a spammer. The account has gone to spammer heaven.

Not Hell?

1 of 3