The survival of the fittest
Posted: 30 November 2006 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

I came to a sad conclusion after reading the following in the Nov 18-24 issue of [i:148208b9a2]New Scientist[/i:148208b9a2]:

[quote:148208b9a2]"...[I]f there is a major disaster some of us will survive. Then, nature will take over and biological evolution will start again, since cultural evolution will have failed. I confidently predict there will be selection for small people with bodies sufficient to support the required amount of brain power. Obesity will have been solved."[/quote:148208b9a2]

Hmm, Sydney Brenner might be right about the "selection for small people". But what about my kids (and my beloved selfish genes) who practically live on antibiotics (that’s if they were to survive the "major disaster")? My genes would cease to exist the moment the biological evolution would take over.

Thank you, Dr. Fleming, for giving my genes a chance! But we have to go now; the trilobites and the dinosaurs are waiting for us…:cry:

Posted: 01 December 2006 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

Re: The survival of the fittest

[quote author=“George Benedik”]But what about my kids (and my beloved selfish genes) who practically live on antibiotics (that’s if they were to survive the “major disaster”)? My genes would cease to exist the moment the biological evolution would take over.

This is nothing new.  Asimov pointed out decades ago that the human race was slowly evolving into Homo technicae (I made up that name just now—I forget what he called it), a species which could only survive in the presence of advanced technology.  I don’t know what to say to you to make you feel better about it.  That’s life, unfortunately!

Posted: 01 December 2006 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes; this also makes many of us very susceptible to a “major disaster” of the sort that would destroy our technologically sophisticated civilization.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 December 2006 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Re: The survival of the fittest

[quote author=“advocatus”] I don’t know what to say to you to make you feel better about it.!

How about: If you can’t make a healthy gene, try to make a healthy meme!? But then I wonder: which one is in a better shape? My immunity (that would produce a ‘fit’ gene) or my intelligence (that would produce a ‘fit’ meme)? :wink: