Religion Wars
Posted: 26 April 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-04-26

Theological beliefs square off in a duel to the death…

Religion Wars (YouTube)

Posted: 27 April 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

That atheist is an asshole. Just like the god of the OT.  MF LOL

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 28 April 2012 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2585
Joined  2011-04-24

Not that funny IMO; is it for, or against atheism, BTW?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 April 2012 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

Geez everybody wants to get so technical. The atheist in a duel to the death brings a gun so he is the smarter one, and he’s not restricted by any silly ideology so he can duel better than Jesus (whereas Jesus and Buddha special powers are meaningless in duel situations). Also right before he blows him away he yells Science MF. He thens shoot him three times… I’d say that’s pretty pro atheist… This is the sacred figure of Christians… and he’s being shot… in the face… at the very least it’s not pro Christian. The only reason Jehovah comes down at the end is because it would not even remotely funny at all if he just stands there for 10 seconds and nothing happens. That’s just a completely different sketch, and a boring one. It’s just supposed to be a silly parody. Like say the twit race…

Posted: 28 April 2012 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

Meh….....I was hoping it would be a bit funnier.

Posted: 28 April 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
thirdstringkicker - 28 April 2012 02:11 AM

Geez everybody wants to get so technical. The atheist in a duel to the death brings a gun so he is the smarter one, and he’s not restricted by any silly ideology so he can duel better than Jesus (whereas Jesus and Buddha special powers are meaningless in duel situations). Also right before he blows him away he yells Science MF. He thens shoot him three times… I’d say that’s pretty pro atheist… This is the sacred figure of Christians… and he’s being shot… in the face… at the very least it’s not pro Christian. The only reason Jehovah comes down at the end is because it would not even remotely funny at all if he just stands there for 10 seconds and nothing happens. That’s just a completely different sketch, and a boring one. It’s just supposed to be a silly parody. Like say the twit race…

It could also be seen as a parody of atheists being impossible to deal with; in essence, we kill people who disagree with us. blank stare  On top of that, it is flat out unfunny.  To myself at least.

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

It’s a duel to the death. The atheist is doing what he is supposed to… If every duel ended with the stalemate joke it would have been awful. Plus, atheists don’t kill people we disagree with, that’s not the joke at all. You’re taking the circumstances way too literally. It’s a fantastical circumstance given to characters to act out. It’s one of those things were you either find it funny or you don’t. It’s like the Monty Python Twit race, no explanation is suddenly going to make it funny, but if you try to over analyze it all humor will be completely be removed. And actually if you look at the twit race they do infuse a little bit of social commentary in there as well, they are not saying that stupid people need to shoot themselves. They are not advocating suicide to bankers or mentally handicapped people.

Posted: 28 April 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

I personally think this would be popular among the more irate Atheists groups that constantly reconfirm that God doesn’t exists and how religious people are all idiots. Most of the people here on this forum who are Atheists seem to be pretty well adjusted to their beliefs without requiring the ridicule of religious groups for their entertainment. There really is no taking this video too literally. It honestly is just plain dumb and only justifies peoples bigoted belief that Atheists are just a hateful group.

Posted: 29 April 2012 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

I think Mike Judge has a good quote about the nature of taking the joke literally.
“It seems like there’s a lot of people who just do not understand satire. They think it’s weird. There’s people who just don’t understand you portray something or just explore a character, it means you’re condoning it, saying this is the way to live.” - Mike Judge

Satire doesn’t usually play nice Geoffrey Chaucer, Johnathan Swift, Moliere, South Park, Monty Python, Bill Maher, etc… are a few example of people who hit below the belt

You know, I’ve honestly haven’t run into the atheists that put up giant billboards in the middle of town, or yell or purposefully cause trouble like getting a nativity scene on church property taken down (I know they exist, you see them on the news making us look bad). The only ones I’m aware of by name are the authors and comedians I listed above, but they kept it within the confines of their art. It makes be think now that there really is a large group of irate Atheists that are annoying and uncompromising. Maybe I unintentionally struck a nerve. Wow, maybe the sketch isn’t as dumb as I thought…

Posted: 29 April 2012 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-07-01

Everyone has their own sense of humor and I don’t think that the humor on the site was so above everyone’s head as you may like to lead us to believe. It plain and simple wasn’t that clever. Now you may not agree with me on this one, but I thought the skit where Jesus came down to meet the Denver Bronco’s and Tim Tebow was actually pretty funny, but you just have to accept that not everyone’s sense of humor is going to agree with your own and it’ doesn’t mean that theirs hold any less validity than yours.

Now that being said, I too have had times where I think people on this board have taken my tongue and cheek statements a little too seriously, but your video was just not that funny. So I’m with you on some parts of what your saying yet disagree with you about the video.

Posted: 29 April 2012 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

Hmmmm, I agree with Ex Machina’s critique.  In the video clip , the flesh may have been willing, but the “will” was weak.  It simply wasn’t that good.  Monty Python be damned, it’s not a decent analogy.  But as atheists, it’s dumb to argue too much about it!

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5167
Joined  2010-06-16

I can’t watch the video, but I certainly agree with ExMachina’s comments.  I’ve often smiled at people who do or say something they think is very funny, but would require most of us to lower our IQs by about 40 points if we hoped to enjoy.  It’s similar to a limerick I wrote years ago about people who say, with expression bereaved, “Pardon my pun”.  They shouldn’t worry because, “no pun achieved.”

On the other side, I tend to make wise-ass comments frequently on this forum.  Usually they are ignored, occasionally someone enjoys one of them, but I’m always surprised when someone takes an obvious joke (even if not clever) as very serious and becomes uspset.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 29 April 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-04-26

Right, a joke is a joke. It doesn’t have to be smart, it doesn’t have to be dumb. It’s just what it is. I don’t think you have lower your IQ to find it funny, just analyze it less. But even then it’s not guaranteed to make you laugh. So, yeah occam. Also, if you’re making a comment that it’s unrealistic that the hand of god would come down and smite someone (I don’t think anybody said that specifically, and if you did I wasn’t talking about you) I think you’re going to have issues with comedy for the rest of your life.

Also having just completed a short film full of “Smart” humor (and I really did, Woody Allen type stuff, whether it’s Woody Allen quality let’s just both agree that it was the effort that counts) I reserve the right to make silly sketches.

And Ex the Tebow sketch was amusing but it did start to get a little long (However SNL needs their sketches to be a certain length because you’re dealing with television, so many of their sketches get too long, it’s not their fault), and the Jesus jokes they make at the end are jokes they themselves have told numerous numerous times. I’m surprised how many times SNL has done the “Oh my Dad” joke. But no, not a bad sketch. I did like the shout out to the kicker even though it didn’t make me orally express jovial emotion.