2 of 7
The Truth About Exercise ?  (drifting into musing about aging)
Posted: 30 April 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5167
Joined  2010-06-16

While I’ve owned four dogs (and a number of cats and a parrot) during my life, I don’t have one now.  Yes, I like yogurt (used to make my own).  The schedule is yogurt in the morning, chocolate in the afternoon and wine in the evening.  It would be terrible to have yogurt in the evening and wine in the morning (chocolate is great any time).  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 April 2012 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29

Okay, Occam. Maybe I’ll pass it on to our local radio station.  grin “The Zoomer Report: A study has shown that some people who owned a parrot and made their own yogurt can remain wise-asses until very late in life…”  LOL

Posted: 30 April 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5167
Joined  2010-06-16

You have them locally, but I bought a big bag of frozen blueberries, cooked them with a little sugar and use a 1:1 mix of them and yogurt each morning.  BBs definitely contribute to W-Aness.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 April 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  4140
Joined  2008-08-14

The truth about exercise is out.  It has been for 100 years or longer.  I don’t know about the effects upon aging.  Or specific disease prevention(other than the fact that I believe it has been proven that good cardio-pulmonary exercise is good for your heart, blood pressure, diabetes prevention,  vascular health etc, etc…)
I think there’s no dout that exercise is also extremely good for mood and the ability to allow your body to carry out strenous, healthy work longer and more efficiently with less fatigue, more safely.  This could also include playing with your children, climbing stairs, cleaning your house, yard work etc.
Let’s not forget weight maintenance.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 30 April 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2008-09-10

I excercised about 3 times a week on an elliptical trainer for 1/2 hour and with weights for about 15 minutes for several months, and then had a heart attack while excercising.  It makes you wonder.  Now I do much the same, but am eating more wisely, and hope for the best.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 April 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

CC:

having just come home after five days of hanging out at a hospital with my lady who was stricken with Diverticulitis

I am recovering from the same.  I ended up with a bag, which is a nuisance.  Fortunately it is schelduled to come off May9th.

As far as excersize, I am in my mid60s and walk quite a bit.  I enjoy this because I still live in the town I grew up in and it gives me a chance to talk to people and see what is going on.  I also stop at different local bars, which are much more fun than the senior citizens centers.  On an average walk I do between 4-8 miles.  Even with the medical problem I have been able to get ou a few times in the last couple of weeks.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 30 April 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
citizenschallenge.pm - 30 April 2012 07:04 AM

Yup, Mriana the walking is good, I like having a book on tape, go twice as fast twice as far listening to a good story.

Actually, when I’m on a treadmill, I do read a book sometimes.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 April 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  4616
Joined  2007-10-05

Yup, Mriana the walking is good, I like having a book on tape, go twice as fast twice as far listening to a good story.

Tape? What’s that?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 30 April 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
Occam. - 30 April 2012 10:39 AM

While I’ve owned four dogs (and a number of cats and a parrot) during my life, I don’t have one now.  Yes, I like yogurt (used to make my own).  The schedule is yogurt in the morning, chocolate in the afternoon and wine in the evening.  It would be terrible to have yogurt in the evening and wine in the morning (chocolate is great any time).  LOL

Occam

OK, ignorant question here, but you’re a good one to answer it, Occam…  I’ve often wondered, given that many seniors take heart/blood pressure meds, if they can get a way with drinking a glass of wine or two.  My grandparents didn’t drink and neither does my mother (67) and her sister (72).  I wouldn’t expect anyone in my aunt’s condition to drink though- she’s had so many TIAs that her mind is gone and she’s in a nursing home, not expected to recover enough to take care of herself even in an assisted living apt.  My mother, like my grandparents, takes blood pressure meds, as do many her age and older.  If you don’t take any meds at your age, I’d say you’re one lucky…  wink  So… the question is, if you’re on heart/blood pressure meds, how does wine mix with them?  Is it safe to do that?

[ Edited: 30 April 2012 07:57 PM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 May 2012 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 30 April 2012 07:44 PM

Tape? What’s that?

It’s “old people” lingo for recording. My wife and I try to fight it but it’s not easy.  LOL

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 01 May 2012 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Back on topic…

From Scientific American
“The bottom line: couch potatoes may applaud the exercise naysayers but the bulk of research suggests that workouts make us physically and perhaps mentally healthier.”

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 01 May 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

No, the bottom line is that there is a correlation between people who exercise and are healthier. It may very well be that people who are healthier to begin with, are more likely to exercise.

Posted: 01 May 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
George - 01 May 2012 05:51 AM

No, the bottom line is that there is a correlation between people who exercise and are healthier. It may very well be that people who are healthier to begin with, are more likely to exercise.

Are you serious? Or do you just relish the role of contrarian?  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 01 May 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
FreeInKy - 01 May 2012 05:56 AM
George - 01 May 2012 05:51 AM

Are you serious? Or do you just relish the role of contrarian?  LOL

I am a skeptic who demands evidence.  wink

Posted: 01 May 2012 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Did you read the article Traveler linked to?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

2 of 7