1 of 3
Ohio Terrorism
Posted: 02 May 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2661
Joined  2011-04-24

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/01/11485641-5-anarchists-nabbed-in-plot-to-blow-up-ohio-bridge?lite  I’m sure some of you have heard about this developing story.  Did these five get trolled by the authorities?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 02 May 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

The article says that authorities were tipped off by reports about how they were acting at an Occupy event.  It also refers to their facebook pages being monitored.

In any event, it appears they lacked the organizational skills and intelligence to actualize their destructive ideas.  Perhaps this lack of organizational skills and intelligence is a general trait of persons who are drawn to having such ideas. (Otherwise, I don’t understand how it is that a lot more destruction is not taking place.  It seems to me that destructive behavior would be easy relative to constructive behavior.)  The Occupy movement was quick to distance itself from these bozos.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 02 May 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
TimB - 02 May 2012 02:51 PM

The article says that authorities were tipped off by reports about how they were acting at an Occupy event.  It also refers to their facebook pages being monitored.

In any event, it appears they lacked the organizational skills and intelligence to actualize their destructive ideas.  Perhaps this lack of organizational skills and intelligence is a general trait of persons who are drawn to having such ideas. (Otherwise, I don’t understand how it is that a lot more destruction is not taking place.  It seems to me that destructive behavior would be easy relative to constructive behavior.)  The Occupy movement was quick to distance itself from these bozos.

Are the authorities just playing games by trolling these goofballs, trying to make themselves look good to a mostly gullible public?  What waste of time and budget.  In answer to your question about the lack of success among people wishing to be destructive, it’s hit or miss;  most people probably don’t have the inclination to blow up things.  Those that do, some will be dedicated and willing and able to carry it out, but most will end up like these guys.

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

In any event, it appears they lacked the organizational skills and intelligence to actualize their destructive ideas.

If these guys were stupid enough to use Facebook…which is hardly the secure or private meduim anybody thinks it is…I’d say they deserved to get caught.

From what I saw in the article, it appeared that these idiots had a tendency to advertise, Facebook or no. Not very bright.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 02 May 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 02 May 2012 06:32 PM

In any event, it appears they lacked the organizational skills and intelligence to actualize their destructive ideas.

If these guys were stupid enough to use Facebook…which is hardly the secure or private meduim anybody thinks it is…I’d say they deserved to get caught.

From what I saw in the article, it appeared that these idiots had a tendency to advertise, Facebook or no. Not very bright.

LOL  So true.

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2012 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

http://youtu.be/cPIu58FjQFA

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 08 May 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1758
Joined  2007-10-22

The five were “controlled by an undercover FBI employee,” and agents had them under extensive surveillance for a long period of time. The explosives they allegedly purchased were inoperable.

This may be becuase of my recent experiences here, but I have to question the “informants” offer to “sell explosives” to these fools, was this a legitamate case of asttempted terrorism or another case of entrapment so law enforcement can keep its budget?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 08 May 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
garythehuman - 08 May 2012 03:29 PM

The five were “controlled by an undercover FBI employee,” and agents had them under extensive surveillance for a long period of time. The explosives they allegedly purchased were inoperable.

This may be becuase of my recent experiences here, but I have to question the “informants” offer to “sell explosives” to these fools, was this a legitamate case of asttempted terrorism or another case of entrapment so law enforcement can keep its budget?

That’s what caught my attention about this story.

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

The Occupy movement was quick to distance itself from these bozos.

These bozos are the Occupoop movement.  One of the suspects is the one who signed the lease for the warehouse where he and his fellow Occupoopers lived.  Fifty of their fellower Occupoopers showed up at court to support them.  Doesn’t sound like “distancing” to me.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 17 May 2012 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Rocinante - 16 May 2012 09:23 PM

The Occupy movement was quick to distance itself from these bozos.

These bozos are the Occupoop movement.  One of the suspects is the one who signed the lease for the warehouse where he and his fellow Occupoopers lived.  Fifty of their fellower Occupoopers showed up at court to support them.  Doesn’t sound like “distancing” to me.

I doubt that these folks and anyone who supports them, represent anything other than the most fringe element of those who identify with the Occupy movement.  If, however, the country continues its course of expansion of the gap between the wealthiest and the rest, then eventually, more could become radicalized.

If this happens, your endearing term “Occupoop” will not be sufficiently perjorative for what they could become.  These guys may have been highly motivated (maybe not), but they were stupid.  If highly motivated Americans, who are also highly intelligent, become radicalized, we could all be in trouble.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 17 May 2012 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
TimB - 17 May 2012 12:51 PM

I doubt that these folks and anyone who supports them, represent anything other than the most fringe element of those who identify with the Occupy movement.

The entire Occupoop movement is the fringe.  And their members have confessed they want to resort to violence.

Murder, arson, assault, rape and vandalism go hand in hand at Occupoop rallies.

Take a look at some Occupoopers at their finest:

OccupoopViolence5.jpg

OccupoopViolence6.jpg

OccupoopViolence4.jpg

OccupoopViolence3.jpg

OccupoopViolence2.jpg

OccupoopViolence1.jpg

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 18 May 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Rocinante - 17 May 2012 09:15 PM
TimB - 17 May 2012 12:51 PM

I doubt that these folks and anyone who supports them, represent anything other than the most fringe element of those who identify with the Occupy movement.

The entire Occupoop movement is the fringe. 

That is what someone with a fringe opinion about the occupy movement would say.

Signature 

Posted: 18 May 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-06-20
TimB - 18 May 2012 11:24 AM

No, it’s what someone who doesn’t fall for the propaganda of the Occupoop movement says based on the facts.  The fact is that the U.S. is generally a center-right nation.  The Occupoopers are extreme lefties.  The Occupoopers also try to stir up class warfare, but the fact is the non-fringe in the U.S. don’t hate the rich like the Occupoopers do.  And unlike the Occupoopers, the rest of us shower on a regular basis.

Signature 

—James Madison

Posted: 19 May 2012 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Rocinante - 18 May 2012 08:55 PM
TimB - 18 May 2012 11:24 AM

No, it’s what someone who doesn’t fall for the propaganda of the Occupoop movement says based on the facts.  The fact is that the U.S. is generally a center-right nation.  The Occupoopers are extreme lefties.  The Occupoopers also try to stir up class warfare, but the fact is the non-fringe in the U.S. don’t hate the rich like the Occupoopers do.  And unlike the Occupoopers, the rest of us shower on a regular basis.

It is goofy, the way those occupiers comport themselves.  The “movement” hasn’t left the colon yet. The idiots who tried to blow up the bridge, they may be light years ahead in stupidity, compared to the rest of them. None are very smart though.

Signature 

Posted: 19 May 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I haven’t really followed the occupy movement.  They don’t seem to be very good at delivering a concise message, although from what I understand the message is largely about the concentration of assets in a small extremely wealthy class.  I think that’s a valid concern and while Americans don’t hate the rich, neither do they apparently have much understanding just how extreme the disparity of wealth in the United States is.  http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

I don’t hate the rich.  I do ornamental ironwork and they’re the only ones who can afford it.  Some concentration of wealth is probably essential for the arts to flourish.  But when the disparity is too extreme I have to wonder if it creates an unhealthy society. 

I have no idea how blowing up bridges is supposed to help, though.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 19 May 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

One problem is there always psychos in any movement motivated by frustration or anger.  The occupiers had them in those who want to attack and destroy.  The Tea Party had those who shout that the president should be assasinated or who want all taxes to be stopped but not the programs that help them: “Get rid of all the government interference, but don’t touch my Medicare.”

A second problem is that few of the people involved recognize the root causes and focus on the consequences rather than on those causes.

And, of course, the fanatics and demagogues (a few of which we have in this forum) on either side have no ability to recognize anything reasonable in the concerns of the other but rather tar them all with the same brush and come up with “clever” words to villify and belittle the other such as “Tea baggers” or “Occupoopers”.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

1 of 3